1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a right to feel offended?

Nov 15, 2008

1. DOA has the hiccups right now. Sorry!

2. Oh yes indeed he is an F38, on a SD17 body. A totally gorgeous-looking one --

and yet there might well be someone out there who'll look at him and say he looks too *pretty*to be manly. So what. Doesn't impede our enjoyment!

3. Which they sometimes do! - Some people seem to have seeerious issues about being corrected. They splutter and justify and try to rework the situation so that it sounds like they're right, like there's some huge need to save face. Poor things. I almost want to pat their heads and tell them it's OK, it's OK, relax, take deep cleansing breaths, remember your bloodpressure, mind that vein throbbing on your forehead before it explodes and splatters my glasses. It's just a doll. :lol: I know you WANT it to be a girl, so that it will fit into the corners of your square little world, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's a boy.

You're right, that's gotta be some bigger issue afoot... but I simply cannot give enough of a crap to stay around and psychoanalyze them. ^^ I figure, either they'll go home and laugh it off and call it a learning-experience, or else they'll splutter & fume themselves to sleep and *piff* die of an embolism during the night. Not my problem.

4. Well if they got it wrong they didn't read the caption, most likely. Being a trans-man, someone mis-judging the gender of my doll is the least of my concerns. I'm a transman with a doll. >_> -elephant in the room- But anyhow, if someone complimented one of my boys as 'she's so pretty!" I'd probably just thank them, even if the 'thank you' was plainly visible to others. Doesn't matter if it's confusing - someone called him pretty - that deserves a thank you.. I give thank you's when I'm personally called beautiful, no matter how obviously awkward I sound doing it. Getting choked up over being corrected is something I'm guilty of too. It stinks being wrong/confused. Umm I don't always feel like explaining my own gender so 'clearing up' the gender of one of my dolls would be annoying for me. Let them be confused.

5. If I had a girly guy, I definitely wouldn't get offended.
      In fact, I would probably be pleased because clearly what I was trying to do worked. :D

The only reason someone would dress their guy in a dress is because they know it's girly. I'm sure no guy would put on a tutu thinking that it's the norm.
      Anyway, if a real guy with a skinny body put on a dress, long hair and makeup, I would probably think it was a girl too, ehe.

6. just like trans or crossdressing humans, it's not polite to ask one's gender. i can see where a girly-boy doll owner could get annoyed.

7. I think people that are clueless about dolls shouldn't effend us. I know people that work on cars cars and often say that "engine" thingy, and they are never effended that I am clueless...

8. I would think they would take it as a compliment :p like im sure most real guys who try to dress girly would XD

9. I have to agree with your sister. If your boy is very feminine and he wears girly clothes and so, it's normal that people think he's a girl. (: I think it's nothing to feel offended of, unless someone is starting to mock the doll because of it.

10. I think it's ok to feel offended if you make a thread and say it's a boy...because it's disrespectful not to read what the person says. They lost time writing so you should read, I guess...

but if the owner says nothing about it, I don't think they should be upset...it's a normal mistake. That's what I think...I wouldn't worry about it ^^'

11. If the doll looks like a girl then you can't be offended if someone assumes that because your boy is in a skirt or dress that he's a girl. I used to dress my boy in long hair in skirts and dresses and I got used to people saying she is pretty and I would correct them happily and say thank you but he's a boy.

12. I wouldn't get offended. Many doll guys look girly, especially if they wear girly clothes.

13. I personally wouldn't be offended, it's typical to assume someone in a skirt is a girl.
      Also I've seen plenty of sculpts and been like "Oh she's pretty--" click the icon and see it's a boy.

14. I'm not offended when people assume my boys are girls even though all they wear are men's clothing. Male dolls tend to bit a bit rare outside of this hobby so I totally understand why people would assume my boys are girls.
      I don't even correct people anymore when the mistake my dolls' genders, I'm just glad someone has taken interest in them. (That and I hate...'proving' their gender lol)

I think if you dress your boys like girls, you just have to accept that someone might assume they are a girl.

15. If I had a girly guy, I'd probably be slightly offended.. But not enough to get angry about it.

16. Heh... this is quite the interesting discussion.
      As a transman i say if you're dressing as and/or look like a certain gender- expect people to assume you're that gender.
      Now, with a doll, most of them do look androgynous. That's a contributor to the confusion definitely. However in western society, if something is androgynous they will immediately assume female just to be on the safe side- think about it, its more common for a female to wear jeans and a hoodie than to see a guy rockin a skirt, right? Its socially acceptable one way and not the other.

So if me, being a guy, walked out in a dress and complained when people called me a girl, then it really wouldnt make sense if I got mad- why would i start doing girly things in public like wear this dress? If i didnt want to be called a girl i wouldnt have worn it!

But me being in a doll hobby doesnt help much with my masculine image, does it? ^ ^" (I call them Ball-jointed ACTION FIGURES! YEAHH) Tbh i dont tell anyone but close friends that Im in the hobby... just for this reason exactly.

17. My boys are incredibly feminine, and I acknowledge it and totally accept and understand that others have different tastes. Someone once mentioned how big my girl's eyes are and I agree - they are big - and her expression is very cat-like. I acknowledge and accept that she is not to everyone's tastes.

Being offended, in my opinion, is not a "right". Rather, it is a choice and it is often felt by those who feel inferior in some way and use their dolls to say "look at me" or "look how great I am".

Insult my dolls all you like... they are only dolls. I will enjoy them no matter how popular or unpopular they are and no matter what anyone says. I think if one can do that, then one is truly happy with the dolls in one's collection.

18. I only get offended when people call my boy, who wears pants and a hoodie, a girl, but their reply is, "Ohh, but he's wearing so much makeup?" So I think face ups have a lot to do with it. He's wearing a black fur wig, boyish clothes, but the fact that he's "wearing makeup" makes him seem so girly.

19. If a boy doll is dressed like a girl, then how is your sister supposed to know?
      i've had people thinking my daughters were boys despite them being dressed all in pink and with ponytails..

20. I think that people have their right to their own opinions.. just as much as people have a right to be offended by comments that are not what would be considered as "constructive criticism".

If someone is unaware that another person's BJD that is male, but is dressed in a dress or any other kind of outfit that is traditionally looked upon as female clothing.. then I think they should not be too offended if someone mistakes them for a girl.

I always go with the motto: "To each their own", because not everyone is going to like the same doll, the way they dress, their personality.. etc .. however it really annoys me when people go out of their way to be cruel & bash someone else's BJD.