1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have dolls of different sizes?

Oct 9, 2018

1. I am thinking about getting a girl doll. My boy is 70cm bit in not sure I'd want the same size. Although it will probably be strange if she will be msd size.

Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?
      How do you feel about this? Is it weird?
      Which size is your favourite?
      What size did you get first?

2. It's only an issue (and even then personal preference) if you have characters who interact in the same world without taking into account the different sizes.

I have everything from a pukipuki to an SD. Each size has its own sort "world" or "theme" in my head so no, its not weird to me.

I started small, with my pukipuki and have gradually been getting larger in size. This was mostly because of budget, but also I prefer smaller things. There are very few SD dolls I would want to own. My favorite size ranges from 10ish cm to 45ish sm... I have more MSD size than any other, bit I love yo sd and also tinies as well

3. What twylight said. If your dolls are not characters who are supposed to be interacting with each other, and are supposed to be the same size, it doesn't matter if they're different sizes. And even then, it only matters if you want to photograph them, or display them together.

I started with big, SD sized dolls, then moved on to smaller and bigger dolls. I don't think I'll ever go smaller than a teenie gem, though i do have an Aki, a couple mini gems, and a couple Dollzone Wendy that are skinnier than teenie gems.

4. I have different sizes and it's driving me insane. Which is why I'm opting to go full 1/3 scale for my collection. I'll probably keep one 1/4 doll, but she will not interact with the bigger dolls because the scale is completely off. The 1/4 doll is still supposed to be a young adult, just like my 1/3 will be, so it will not make sense to have her interact with them. Some people are fine with the scale difference, I'm not. I mean, there are even some dolls — like the Feeple60 — which look completely childish next to other 1/3 dolls (in my opinion.)

So, it's really something you'll have to feel out. As for me, it's a no, but some people really do like their mixed scale pairings. If it makes you happy... :)

5. Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?
      Yes, but only one is different. I have one tiny and four SDs.
      No. The tiny is a fantasy tiny, and the SDs are all human, so it works.
      SD.
      SD.

Really, you can make it work if you really want to. You can make separate universes, age divisions, certain kinds for certain sizes (like fantasy/human). Or just not care and make things totally eclectic. I've passed up dolls because they did not fit how I divvied things up, but it depends on how you feel. Personally, if I ever had a romantic pairing, I would want them in the same size class.

6. I have 1/4 and 1/6 scale at the moment, and I've been contemplating making the switch to just 1/6 for the past few months.

My first doll was 1/4 scale, and it was done on a whim, I'd originally been planning on a 1/6 scale doll for my first and had a bunch of clothing and wigs bookmarked in that size. 3 years later, I finally have a 1/6 doll in my hands and it turns out I prefer it over my 1/4 scale doll! It actually looks like anything over 35cm will probably not be for me.

That being said, I'm planning for another 1/6 scale and I haven't ruled out 1/8 or 1/12 in the future. I'm thinking of trying out mature tinies as well, to satisfy my want of a doll thats styled like the bigger scale dolls are styled, since aesthetically I *love* a lot of 1/4 and 1/3 sizes, and they've been beautiful when I've seen them in person but I just don't think I can own bigger dolls.

7. I have SD and MSD. I wouldn't if they were from the same story, but they're not related at all so I'm cool with it. To me I use SDs as I guess "serious" dolls, shelling my characters and trying to make them exactly how they're supposed to be to fit the OC etc. The "serious" dolls are probably favorite and the whole reason I originally joined the hobby was to make my OCs, but they can be frustrating at times, so I use MSDs just to have fun and do crazy concepts and stuff stress free. Most of my OCs aren't really my favorite aesthetic and such since they're majority modern characters but I absolutely love crazy weird colorful slightly unsettling stuff so MSDs are my place to just do whatever and express that part of the hobby and SDs are for my beloved OCs. The size division like that has been working great for me.

8. I have pukipuki, pukifee, yosd and msd sized dolls, as well as a few awkward in-between sizes. I like tinies best personally, but I know I'm in the minority there, lol. I don't find it weird, because my dolls aren't OCs or anything, they don't need to interact, I just buy the dolls I like regardless of size. Collecting different sizes is kind of a pain in the ass because you need to buy clothes/shoes/accessories/wigs/eyes/props in all different sizes, so that's something to consider.

9. I think I might be in the minority, because I have all sorts of sizes! For the most part, each verse is it’s own size - Anima is YoSD, Nordics is MSD... Boris is an SD while his daughter is an MSD for vaguely proportional scaling... and then there’s my Japanese dolls. Since that one is very much a “kitchen sink” verse, it has all manner of sizes from 12cm to 72. It doesn’t bother me too much because this way I get a huge range of dolls, even if it means I can’t take pictures of certain dolls together without it being bizarre. I try to keep couples as the same size, though!

10. Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?

Yes. I have mainly 1/3, but also some 1/6 and some mature tinies.

Not really. Of the ones that interact, the 1/3 are adults and the 1/6 are kids. The mature tinies are separate.

1/3!

1/3!

11. - Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?
      Allow me to answer that with this:
      [​IMG]BJD sizes by Wildcard_Snowy, auf Flickr

- How do you feel about this? Is it weird?
      VARIATION!!! AWESOME!
      Long story short: My SDs have their own world/story, anything under 52cm is part of the same world, thought different sections/areas and
      represent differnt races or cultures. I don't think it's weird at all tbh. I can't really put them all into the same world. Thought I have this one tiny (the white haired fox boy in the front row, with the white hair), who will sometimes sneak over to the big ones and enjoy some lap/nap time with my big SD fox boy XD

- Which size is your favourite?
      MSD. It's handy, it's middle priced and the many different sizes and shapes and types are unrivalled. I love it ^^

- What size did you get first?
      MSD. I tried with Yo-SD shortly after, but back then found it wasn't for me, then tried SD and from there my collection grew (currently downsizing on the SDs, as I simply prefer MSD and want to focuse on that collection some more). Of course the YoSD thing was but a lie. I love my tines -^3^-

If you want a girl for your man, have fun looking up aaaaaaaaaaaall the companies and see what they have to offer. :) There are a lot of options and you might want to look at them all, before making a choice ;)

12. I love my YOsd/MSD (in-between) sized girl who was my first and all of my dolls till now have bee yosd or small MSD size. x.x i rely wanted to stick with it but could not find a Asian boy faced doll to stay in that size rang. so i have just bought my first SD size doll. x.x Thus am also feeling a bit odd by it, for my girls will be baby size to him. x.x Yet i will have them all together!

13. Most of my dolls are MSD, but I do have one SD13 and one Dollfie Dream that are 1/3 scale, and two 35cm Bunny Nine dolls. My Dollfie Dream isn't in the same "universe" in my head as the rest of my dolls. The others look pretty cute together though, and having multiple sizes doesn't bother me at all n_n

14. Yes, I have SD and MSD sized dolls. I started with MSD's because I thought they were cheaper.
      I like the portability of the minis, they are easier to throw in a backpack when passer-bys start invading my dolly shoots!
      Then all the big SD girls started showing up on eBay second hand and I started buying the ones I wanted. So my SD collection expanded rather quickly.

15. All of mine are 1/3 size dolls, but there's slight height differences between each one! The differences between my smallest and largest is quite noticable when they're laying or standing next to each other. I would like to get a mini/tiny doll someday, but I haven't found the perfect sculpt yet :hug:

16. I have one msd and 5 yosd. I prefer yosd size dolls but decided to experiment with msd. I love my msd but yes I don’t like photographing her together with the smaller ones. Also, it’s cheaper to buy small size clothing and easier to mix and match if most of the dolls are same size

17. I have dolls from 65cm to 20cm. I'll put my minies and tinies together for photographs and such, while my SDs have their own little world.

18. Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?
      I have dolls ranging from 14cm to 64cm

Depends on the dolls and how/if they're related. In my case, all of the 50cm and up are adults or teens, and anything MSD and smaller is a child, baby or pet/fantasy creature. The only exception is one mature MSD, because he was my first doll and I can't bear to part with him. He sits separately from the rest and is never photographed with the others. It would be weird and bother me to have adults of all size ranges in the same story/universe. An adult MSD and adults SD don't look like a height difference to me, they look completely disproportionate. It's not just height, but head size too.

Hands down, SD.

MSD, and he's the only MSD I have left because I realized I really don't like that size much.

19. Do you guys have dolls of different sizes?
      I have at least one of every size
      It's ok, the dolls are from different "worlds" and are different characters.
      1/4
      1/4

20. Right now I just have MSDs and a couple of tinies. I'm not bothered by my tiny dragon interacting with my (humanoid) MSDs, and I'm pretty sure I'll be grouping him with their story, but my humanoid tiny looks like a small child with the bigger dolls, so I'm thinking he'll be his own separate entity/in his own world. (Who knows, though, this might change.)

Edited to properly answer the questions:
      Do you guys have dolls of different sizes? Right now just MSDs and tinies. Some days I really have a strong urge to buy an SD or a YoSD just to experience them and see how I like them, but I also like the idea of having my dolls being able to "fit" together if that makes sense. I could definitely see myself creating a completely different story just to justify having different sized dolls, though. xD;;
      How do you feel about this? Is it weird? I don't think so! Variety is the spice of life, or so they say. Nothing wrong with getting sculpts you like in a size that is comfortable for you. I think the weirdest thing for me is that despite the majority of my dolls being MSDs, the variety of scale in that size category is more extreme than I expected. For example, one of my guys has a much smaller head than the others due to his body having different proportions. He's a robot, though, so that doesn't bother me too much. It was really eye-opening, as when I first started the hobby I assumed most dolls in each size category would be proportionally similar (I'm getting better at reading measurements and forming a picture based on numbers, thankfully, but dolls still end up surprising me at times).
      Which size is your favourite? My (humanoid) tiny is really comforting to just hold in my hand (and is super portable!), but so far I've found my MSDs have the most character and are more fun to customize.
      What size did you get first? MSD - it's just because I happened to find a doll that fit a character of mine, and that was the size he was. The rest (save for the one tiny) were bought as part of the story/world he inhabits, so I just stuck with that size.

#20 Rakonto, Oct 10, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 12, 2018