1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you keep a Doll Diary?

Sep 19, 2019

1. I definately didnt think of a scrap book! What a fun idea!

Do it! You can never have too many sketch books in my opinion.

Again, scrapbook! GREAT IDEA. When I get a scanner I will make a scrapbook too :)

Thank you to everyone else who has commented! i have read all your comments and I love all you ideas ans glad I could give a dew of you my ideas lol. I dont have anything like a computer wiki but that is just cuz I suck at computers and can only get online w my phone. Oof.
      I started my first doll diary last night now that I feel less strange about it. Thanks again to you all. I hope to get as many as 3, maybe more like some of you!

2. I don’t keep a diary but have a separate photo album for my favourite dolls

3. This is such a great idea, I have not done this but I will start doing it now :)

4. I don’t keep any doll dairy, I wonder what peiple’s doll dairy and scrapbooks look like!!!

5. I do keep a doll diary but it's more like an encyclopedia of my collection. I've written down every sculpt I've ever owned, the date of acquisition, the total price, the previous owner(s), the date the doll was originally produced and the measurements.
      So I can quickly look up everything I need to know about one of my dolls:)

6. At the moment I have several charts in a Microsoft Word document listing info on my dolls. One has company sculpt, name, arrival date, eyes and wigs. I also have a list of their height and original price. I have drawings of clothing ideas in several sketchbooks and on scraps of paper, Character info is also in several different places. A designated doll notebook would be more organized and easier to keep track of then random stuff everywhere..

7. I do keep a notebook where I write info, ideas and all sorts of random bits about my dolls. I have such a poor memory that writing everything down is second nature to me :sweat So keeping notes on my dolls just happened without thinking.

I love the idea of a doll scrapbook! Would be nice to make pages for each doll and have the decoration reflect each character.

It would by nice to see pictures if someone wants to share theirs!

8. I found this thread to be extremely interesting since I’ve really been struggling with trying to start a doll journal for the past couple of years now. I even bought an expensive leather journal for it, but I found it to be too much of a chore (it took up too much time, too much pre-planning, no way to effectively make corrections and alterations, and I could never quite figure out how to organize it in a way that made me happy.) So I eventually gave up on the idea entirely.

But after reading through this thread, I realized there were such things as digital diaries/journals (who knew?) So I did a bit of research and chose Penzu, which is free and lets me add both photos and text. I was able to download all my info from my DoA doll profiles, plus insert my doll photos without having to physically print them out. This is easy, time-saving, very fluid for any changes I wish to make (editing is a snap) and entirely private. Now all my doll information is quickly and safely stored in one place, and I can’t wait to start adding ideas, plans, and other random doll info as I need it. It’s so quick and easy...this is exactly what I was looking for!:)

#28 PoeticSoul, Nov 18, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    9. I keep a spreadsheet. Well, several spreadsheets. Also word documents for each doll.

10. Didn't know doll dairies were a thing! After reading some of the replies, I think I'm going to make one for myself! Or at least a spreadsheet. Very inspirational

11. I have a notebook which I use for my dolls. I am still learning, so I write down different information in it.
      I have all the information about each of my dolls including who I bought it from.
      I also have information about general information that I learned about bjds including sizes, measurements, brands, and etc.

12. I don't have anything I would call a diary, but I do have a text file for their backstory to which I sometimes write some plans/thoughts pertaining to the dolls rather than the characters. I also have a small sketch book that I use to plan possible new characters/faceups/clothes etc.. Oh, and I also sometimes blab some stuff in my flickr photos' descriptions, as well as a bit here on DoA.

I do sort of like the idea of making some nice proper leather journal for my dolls when/if they're ever "complete", but I probably wouldn't be able to justify making one since I know that having useless objects in my house stresses me out, so though I would see myself enjoying making one, after it would be done I wouldn't see the point of having it (yet would have trouble throwing it away because of all the effort that would've gone to creating it). :sweat I guess I could make a digital one at some point since having everything together in one place would make planning things easier for me, but then I'd also rather have a drawing tablet to be able to do the visual planning fully digitally as well.

13. * Do you keep a Doll Diary?
      Yes! I decided to create a digital diary and start a blog. www.dollie-love.com

* What kinds of things do you keep in it?
      I collect other types of dolls as well, but I keep a gallery of my dolls with details about the sculpt, any doll artists that may have worked on its creations, and links to my doll unboxing videos for their first day home. Somewhat like a profile for each doll. In the actual posts, I write about their backstory, any future doll plans, and photo posts showing off their outfits and where I've purchased items from. I also keep a resource section of artist reviews for customizers I've worked it in the past.

* Do you post things from your diary on here or do you keep your diary contents totally private?
      I've included a tiny bit of each doll's bio and story on my DoA doll profiles, but that's about it. It's easier for me to keep track of things with my blog.

* If you have one, why did you want it and do you use it often?
      I decided to start a doll hobby blog, mainly for the viewers of my YouTube channel who were interested. I get a lot of the same questions about doll details and artists, so thought having a resource for everyone to go to would be helpful. Overtime, I have really been enjoying the blog for organizing my BJD hobby and my growing Wishlist with it, as well as developing a story line for my characters.

14. I sort of have one. I have a notebook where I've written down the info about my doll and plan on making more entries for my other dolls when they arrive. Things like the sculpt, the character's name, who did the faceup, when I ordered/received her, etc. I wrote a lot of things on the notes of my phone, though, just little things about how excited I was to get my doll and story ideas for her, so perhaps I will transfer those to the notebook sometime soon as well.

15. I absolutely love this topic. I read through the replies, and see a lot of people write down pertinent information. I did that in the early days of collecting. For the past decade I've switched to an actual paper diary for all my doll musings. It really is delightful to go back and read past entries. However, I find it most beneficial for dolly ramblings. You know, the kind of musings only other doll hobbyists understand. I wish I would of started journaling about it sooner. I could of saved many a good ear.

16. I have a google doc that is part wishlist, part doll info. Things like measurements, whether the dolls has additional hands/feet available for purchase, what size wig or eyes I'd need to get for the doll. A digital "diary" works better for me, that way I can include links. I also include a list of characters I want to shell and what sculpts I'm considering for those characters. I might eventually get a physical journal to keep track of more abstract things like the doll's character, personality, and story line. Right now it's all in my head but I'm still at the world building phase so nothing is set in stone just yet.

17. I haven't yet but i think its a great idea. Once I'm able to get more into the hobby ill definitely do it

18. I am not sure if it could be called a "diary" because I just record the size of each doll so it will be easier when I try to buy some wigs, eyes, and outfits for my dolls.