1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the smell of resin?

Jul 19, 2014

1. Random question but I'm curious. Do you like the way resin smells? Why or why not? :lol:

2. Yup!
      My oldest a 2009 Crobidoll body has the most odor and I like it. I'll open the little box with unused hands just to get a quick whiff of resin smell, I'm so use to them sitting out, I don't smell it anymore. I'm sure if they were behind glass the odor would be wonderful when you open the door.
      So my answer is yes. As to why... because I have my boys living in my house. These lovely dolls are mine.

3. I like so many weird smells and resin is not exempt. I love the way gasoline smells, sharpies, new and old books. Weird chemical smells are all the rage for my olfactory senses. I love the way my dolls smell fresh out of their boxes.

4. I was so happy when I took my doll out of his box for the first time in about two years and he smelled so freshly of resin. Every time I restring him I spend a moment sniffing the inside of his pieces because they smell like the excitement of getting him brand new.

//this sounds so creepy out of context

5. I heard from some people that their dolls resin smells quite strong. Well, for my doll it´s that she has a light smell of resin. So I really have to bend down and take a sniff at her to smell it. Actually, I hate strong odours (flowers, parfum,...) but she smells nice...:roll:

6. I've never noticed it - and I have a very good sense of smell normally :?

7. Nope. Scent is, in part, particulate. I don't like inhaling resin- that can kill you eventually. Don't panic: A doll that has been used and handled for a while should be fine, or a new doll smelling somewhat since it was just made, but if the doll is new and there is even a hint of dust on it or in the box, Do Not Sniff.

If a doll I receive smells like resin, it gets a bath immediately, while I wear a mask until the box has been cleaned out and the doll is no longer dusty.

If I am doing a mod and I can smell the resin, it means my mask is not protecting me and I need to stop immediately and begin safety measures- replacing filters or my mask at ONCE, turning on the air purifier, HEPA filter vacuuming all surfaces, etc. That smell is a red flag that my health is in danger.

8. Noooo. I don't like it. Which is weird, because I'm making dolls for a living ;). It's the same reason why I don't the smell of gasoline, I guess. It makes me nauseous and gives me migraines.

9. I keep my dolls in a closeable cupboard, so whenever I open it, there's resin smell. I like it. I think they are cleaner, when they don't smell of anything else. ^^
      Their wigs or clothes should also smell a little like resin, I think.

10. Fortunately, my doll's resin didn't smell strongly when they arrived and eventually the smell just faded away. I don't like resin's smell because it's warning me from inhaling. (Maybe I practice quite often in chemistry lab, so I'm very cautious with unknown and strange smells.) Normally, I will check out the dolls first when they arrive if they are dusty. If they are, then I should give they a big cleaning before putting clothes and displaying in my room.

11. Yes I do! I'm a strange one when it comes to smells. I'm not exactly sure why I like it though.

~Bambi

12. The smell always reminds of a dentist's office.

13. Nope. XD When I first got Dawn, I was excited about the new resin smell I'd heard so much about, but then I got her and didn't like it at all! Thankfully, the smell doesn't bother me too much, as long as I don't go sniffing it, and it fades over time.

14. No, I don't really enjoy the resin smell. It's too much like turpentine for me. I rinse any doll part that smells like it and then I box it with potpourri until it smells nicer. I do however like the new bandaid smell my off topic 3D printed dolls have. I guess I'm just kind of picky.

15. Oooh, I like it! I like it so much!

But then again, I also just LOVE the smell of MSC (which I can never get a whiff of anymore :( My health is more important), I like the smell of acetone and the thinners for acrylic paints (some more than others. For example Revell's thinner just smells delicious, while the Mr Hobby one can be a bit too much after a while). I also like the smell of the acrylic paints themselves. Again, Revell's are my favourite, they make me hungry.

16. I would say, no. I don't know why, really. I like more when the smell disappears in time. Up to the moment a doll is usually complete so it feels fine and homy and just absolutely mine. On the other hand, I just don't like chemical smells.

17. Ewch, no, I find it to be a horrible smell ^^; Really strong chemical smell plus a really sensitive nose do not work too well at all. I've only had a couple of dolls where the smell has actually been very noticeable though, and its perfectly fine when it fades.

18. People tell me resin has an odor, but I can not perceive it!

19. Yes,I like it

20. I can't say yes or no. I'm very neutral to the smell. I can't really smell anything. The only exception is that my last doll had a really strong smell so I had to open up all the windows to air him out.