1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you only buy dolls that would fit into your doll-family?

Jun 10, 2010

1. No. I believe in a merry band of 'misfits' haha. I think that any doll would look good together, though I suppose it depends on how you view things as a person. I like differences, so maybe it's just me.

2. I buy the doll which represents what I like best at a precise point of time. My collection would be far more varied If the cost of the dolls wasn't so high, as I would be very interested in seeing the sculpts first hand.

3. As I'm only just starting out in the doll hobby and I only currently have a few dolls, most of my dolls belong to one big famliy, but I do currently have one that doens't fit, as he's a SD amongst the rest of my MSDs. I also have a doll incoming that won't fit into my doll family at all, but it's a beautiful doll nonetheless. I'm more of a collector of dolls that I find to be pretty much more than having them fit together.

4. Nope...Once I'd wanted to collect only similar style doll , then... ended up getting various types! :whee:From mature, realistic look like IH to anime-liked. I guess I have no standard preference for dolls at all. But I still love my doll family!

5. Not at all! :sweat I tend to fall in love with a sculpt, and then I just have to have it, and from there, I see where they fit, if they fit, haha... and my first volks girl was the total oddball she is so big, but I think her character is very young, so she seemed totally out of scale with the other sd girls... until I caved and bought a second volks girl! I also have a doll that is a sort of funky old lady character (ok, technically she is a space alien disguised as an old lady :XD:) but she is very small... only a little taller than a yosd.

...I have a weird group of dolls... once I decide I have to bring one home, they just kind of take over and do what they want (and spend all my money T___T).

6. No, I have a broad taste, and I buy what I like. The majority of my dolls are in a semi-realistic style, but I also have more heavily stylised and more realistic ones as well. Even my dolls from the same company don't necessarily fit together style-wise. If I'm creating two characters from the same universe, then I do try to make sure their styles fit, but otherwise it doesn't matter to me.

7. No, to me it doesn't matter how they fit in the doll family I have except if the character the doll represents belongs in the same universe as the other characters of that universe I have, then it has to fit in size and everything. So it does matter to an extent but not in the doll family as a whole.

8. I'm not concerned with that at all, if I like a doll then I'll make it fit into my doll family ^^

9. No not really - I've got a main "group" of shelled OCs who I attempt to keep roughly in scale and on the more realistic end of the sculpt range. There's also The-Other-People's-Character-dolls, where I just find the sculpt that matches the character the most irregardless of style.

...And then there's the outliers, like my most recent acquisition (well I bought the kit a quite a while ago, and only had the time to sand off all the gates, spurs and seams this weekend):

Bishonen House Vince (borrowing some msd girl leggings, he seems to think he can carry them off!)

(can't find the Bbcode button on Flickr at the moment...)

10. Do you only by dolls that compliment your doll-family?

Most of the time yes. I have two distinct 'looks' among the resin folks but there are about 4 that are completely outside that aesthetic.

If you do, what do you think makes you do this? Why does it matter?

Well, this is for several reasons...
      1. There are many relatives/ siblings/ family members so looks do matter between dolls.
      2. These dolls are very specific characters from stories I have been writing for years. So their appearance & height is extremely important to me. lol

11. Yep! And if I fall for one that is different, somehow it becomes part of the crew and the general story.

12. My dolls are almost all in scale with each other. The odd ones out are still similar enough to the others that they all look pretty good together. Though one of my intended pairings didn't work because her eyes are so much bigger looking than his. One of my first dolls needs a different head before she'll fit in with everyone else. Her looking severely out of scale with any of the others bugs me. A doll that is out of proportion to my existing group goes in the "admire but don't buy" category.

13. I am planning on my next few adoptions. I have not really looked at any kind of relationship between the dolls. I select the dolls I like and enjoy being around. I have seen some and thought that a particular doll would make a good little sister and big sister, however that though is not foremost for me and my dolls. I have found that I am preferring to stay at SD13 or smaller at this time. I do have several much larger non-BJD type and I prefer to stick with the BJD type at this time in my life. They are much easier to handle. I believe that any doll that I adopt will fit into whatever relationship happens to come along at the time. Whether it is a sibling or friend or acquaintance.

14. I don't have a planned family. They fit together because they're all dolls and I kind of love the randomness in size. It reminds me of the Never Ending Story or Alice in Wonderland.