1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you only buy dolls that would fit into your doll-family?

Jun 10, 2010

1. Because the only dolls I have planned are a pair of fraternal twins, brother and sister, I would say yes, they have to fit into my doll-family. Beyond that, I can't see myself having enough dolls to warrant multiple doll families (I'm a clutter-phobe and when I get too much stuff I just start getting rid of stuff almost compulsively), and it bothers me a little when dolls in the same universe don't fit together size-wise, so my best guess is that they would have to fit together.

2. yes, and when a doll doesn't that I still like, I wait until I have a story for them. I find that way I never suffer buyers remorse.

3. No, I don't. My "family" is made up of different characters from different worlds. So the ones who are from the same world might look similar but not exactly the same.

4. At the moment since i only have one doll if i were to get another it would definitely be one that's the same size as her. I would want to get a boy MSD most likely to compliment her.

5. I'm still just beginning to build my collection, so I'm learning the answers to these questions as I go along. I always want one of each kind of thing, no matter what it is, so I was naturally inclined to get one doll in each size category. Then I got a mature mini for my first doll, and I didn't really like sewing for her very much. Now I have a Kid Delf, and I just love sewing for her, so I decided my dolls will be a literal family, with an sd-sized mom and a dad, two msd kids and two tiny kids. Then I looked at tons of dolls until I picked out the ones I really loved in those categories. So I do choose their sizes based on my family plan, but I don't choose sculpts based on whether they look like each other. I figure having wigs and eyes in similar colors will be enough to make them seem to be related.

I hope someday to own more than six dolls, but the others will be friends of my original family. For now I'm just concentrating on buying dolls in my planned family.

I didn't really intend for them to have characters attached to them, but they've developed them anyway. Sometimes they're little resin people who live in my house and call me "The Narrator," but they are also a family from the 1880s who travel the world and have adventures, and then sometimes they're modern fashion models doing whatever photo shoot or music video they happen to be assigned to at the moment. I like lots of flexibility in what I do with them. That way I can be as creative as I want.

6. I think that the idea of a doll family is very interesting, however the dolls that I find myself drawn to (although mostly tinies) are usually too different in scale or style for me to want to keep them together. For example, I feel that my LittleFee and my Pipos tiny are too different stylistically to put together, despite being similar in size, and I find it awkward to put my PukiPuki and LittleFee together even though they are similar stylistically, due to scale. One day I hope to have a complete Unoa or an Anthro, then I could see myself pairing my dolls together with either of them. As things are now, however, I keep one doll out at a time and the others in their boxes and rotate who is on display. I would like to have dolls that I could pair together, it just hasn't seemed to happen that way yet. :)

7. I have many sculpts that I just adore and love and would like to perhaps bring home. However, when I think about my current collection, some sculpts just don't complement. For me, it's important that my dolls complement with each other. I don't know if consistency is the right word, but I want there to be some sort of consistency among my dolls, if that makes sense. I think this is why I'm hesitant about brining a Luts Kid Delf or Volks MSD home, because I have a MNF, and their proportions and maturity are so different, although they are the same height. I think taking their pictures together would be awkward, not to mention mess up some concepts that I have in mind for these dolls. For example, my MNF is around age 17 or so, but the similar-sized Kid Delf or MSD look 10 to my eyes.

8. I think that it really depends on what you're aiming for~ Some people buy dolls solely for the sake of creating characters, or under a certain theme (for example, I've seen people with entire doll "families" set up to be characters from a certain show/fandom!)
      For me, that's not the case at all. I buy dolls because I love them, for one reason or another... If they happen to all fit together, that's nice--but it's not a goal of mine! After all, right now I have a 11cm anthro girl, and a 60cm human girl! I'm not afraid to put/place them together at all, and I generally consider them friends, though Elodae is more of an (emotional) big sister to Allura.

Also, to that note, I don't create stories for my dolls before buying them at all... I allow those things to develop as I get to know the dolls--for the most part, they become their own characters. <3

9. I don't mind to have dolls with different sizes or anything, but with my doll family I'm sure that works, because I'm getting elf dolls anyway (and maybe other fantasy dolls later, never know...)

So I only buy what I like, elf ears limits me enough already! ^^;

10. Not that long ago I would've said it doesn't matter all that much as long as the doll(s) in question were right for the characters they were intended to be. But, I've sort of backed myself into a creative corner and have had to re-evaluate the dolls I'd chosen for 2 characters (but not yet bought).

Basically, I chose two 70cm dolls to be certain characters from one of my novels. I totally stand by the decision that the sculpts I picked are perfect for them and they'll likely always be those sculpts in a little corner of my mind. But, one of the other characters in that story line jumped out at me and the doll was absolutely perfect for that character and I had the opportunity to buy the dolls that this other chara is (which I did). The problem is that they're a tiny and an MSD and the age/height thing will NOT work out with the 70cm dolls. So, while the 70cm will always be perfect, I didn't own them yet while I do own (and am wonderfully happy with) the other, smaller dolls. So, I'm off hunting once again to find the right sculpt in a 60cm doll for the 2 original characters.

Now, if I didn't have the tiny and MSD that are part of that story line, I would still purchase the 70cm boys even though they'd tower over my other dolls like crazy (I have mostly MSD's). But, because the doll in that particular story line don't match up, I'm forced to change my plans *sigh*.

11. I think a lot of things that get ragged on can look perfectly good, so while I am, technically aiming for dolls that look good together, my standards are broader than I feel like I hear from a lot of people. I do have a general style that appeals to me (I just don't like child-like dolls, don't like real children, either) so that lends a certain stylistic link to dolls I'm inclined towards. On the other hand, I have a very wide variety of characters I've created and am working on dolling, and have actually planned everyone so far to have roughly correct relative heights, I'm more worried about the heights within a storyline grouping, but somehow everyone seems to be working out... except for Mary Ann...

And as far as cross-size couples, well, I have one. I don't like it if the couple also has a cross-age look (child and adult) but if they're finished off to have a close age presentation no problem. Like Christopher looks young adult and thothep really manages to look about the same, or at worst mature teen, despite being a mini to Christopher's SD (of course, I always see their characters when I look at them, and thothep is the elder by a few millennia, so humans were shorter when he was born). I have other dolls planned who are or may wind up in cross-size relationships, simply because I have created characters at a variety of heights when mature. I think part of my acceptance of this may be led by my own family. My grandmother hits five foot on a good day, but my grandfather was an easy six foot four.

Over all I've been approaching it on the idea that the more varied looking dolls I get together, the better they'll all look together because nobody will stand out if they're all diverse.

12. I have done it so many ways and I think it does work best for me if my dolls can somehow connect with each other. Weather as part of that family, co-worker or even just friends. It allows me to use whoever I want in a story to help it work and to allow the uniqueness of some as well as the common thread of others to make for a whole town almost, but more like a neighborhood. :D

13. Definitely no. :) I love my current doll family and saving for a doll and wishing to get 1 more after finish saving. You can say their molds are mostly different. But I don't care. I love their molds, and then I create their characters, and I make sure all of them are fit for each other. I ever thought to have similar molds to my current dolls, but then I said to myself, that I prefer to have a doll that I really love, than a doll that maybe look similar but we won't have a strong bond.

14. I like dolls to look good together! So i try to fit them. But there is always place for an exception :)

15. My dolls are meant to represent the characters in my novel. I currently have two, and will soon get a third. The problem is that my head is ruled entirely by my heart. I fell in love with all three at first sight. Now, I have two dolls who fit, and another who doesn't. I'm not sure how this will affect my collection.

If I like a doll, I try my hardest to get it. I don't care about how well it fits with the others...at least not until after I've bought it. I don't have very good impulse control.....

16. Sort of... ish... meh. XD

The Shiwoos are random, so they just kind of go together.

However, in Ashe's case, he's from a story with other OCs, so if I ever get they other character in that story, I'd want them to match up with him a bit style-wise. Especially his partner, Shu. I'm currently looking at a Volks mold for Shu. :3

17. I fall in love with a new sculpt every day, now, it seems. >_< Unfortunately, only so many of them fit in with my other dolls. I could never have a super realistic doll and expect it to fit in with my boys simply because they're so....well....pretty. Unrealistically pretty. Tevy's got a bit of the pointy luts nose thing going on. Also, his eyes are huge. And Isshi just has really soft features that are unrealistic for a man. Now, when I think about what dolls might make good shells for my other characters, I make sure that they do fit what I had in mind for the character, but also that they'll look okay standing next to my other boys. I allow a lot of room for differences, though. Considering one of my boys is 60 centimeters, and the other is 70 centimeters. However....I don't see myself ever owning, let's say, a Minimee from DIM in the likeness of a real person and having it in my core doll family story. I just don't think it could work. <_< Although, if I ever saw the opportunity to get my hands on one I really wanted, and I had the funds, I probably wouldn't pass it up. So, for me, it really depends, whether I would buy a doll that didn't fit in with my doll family or not.

18. My current two girls were picked because I wanted them to be mates (they are werewolves). I have a long list of dollies that I want that I know will spark their own stories but I also wouldn't mind adding to the wolf pack. Sometimes you have to make the dolls fit into your family, haha.

19. I only buy doll's that I want/like and I don't take care that the different doll's fit each other.

My BJD's get their character and their background/story after I bought them. If I've a special idea/story in my mind so I look for doll's which fit in this and than they complement each other automatically. =)

20. I'd say if you have specifications for your doll family, go for it. :) But as for me, I just like to pick out dolls that I can create a good character too, or if I already have a character, find a doll that lookes like him/her. Right now I only have two, and they are from the same company and same size, but I don't think I'll limit myself to just that.