1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you only buy dolls that would fit into your doll-family?

Jun 10, 2010

1. None of my dolls really match each other, I buy them to fit the characters they were meant to be. Even when at one point both of my good friends were like those two will not look good with the others for whatever reason I was like just watch they will and when I got them and made the look right they both agreed that I could pull it off....so I really don't see y one can't just buy the doll they want whether it fits or not is really up to you.

2. Yes, I do. If they didn't match, I wouldn't enjoy photographing their interaction as much.

3. I have an msd volks which doesnt suit with my other msd bcs her msd size is chubbier.
      Yet, i dont care. I buy what i like. I even plan to buy a narae and i'm sure it doesnt fit even more bcs my other dolls are cute while narae face isnt cute. It's more like realistic and cool. i even want a DD. ^o^d...
      Fit or not is a matter of personal preference in collecting doll.
      Some people might care abt it so much and some others dont. I dont see anything wrong with it...^_^...

4. I prefer to buy doll who's matching my doll family, yes ^^
      But these time, I have noticed that I fell in love with mold which are... hem.. MSD, or either. And it bothers me (just a little, huh.)

5. I have one now and I plan on getting more, but I don't think I'd get any to "match" my doll now. But, as for the "fitting into my family" part, the reason I want more dolls is because of my doll now. I want to get him a mate and a younger sibling~ I guess they'd fit in cos they are kinda similar in features, but other than that, I just want them cos I've grown attached to them~ ^^

6. I buy a doll because I like it, and have consequently developed several "doll families." Most dolls on the market would fit in there somewhere, but I avoid really tiny and really big because they are each in their own way difficult to handle.

7. When I buy a doll, it's because I want it. If said doll complements a portion or all of my collection, that's just a bonus. I don't set a specific course or plan, I just go with what I want and what I can afford. I enjoy both the varying and harmonizing aspects of my group.

8. It doesn't matter to me if the new doll would compliment my family. My collection is small, but diverse and I usually choose the doll that I buy based on how much I love the sculpt. My new additions always seem to find a place for themselves in the collection.

9. Lol, this is a BIG no for me. I buy a doll because I like it and think it looks cool. When I buy my dolls, I don't have any idea of what to call them, what their personality is like, etc. In fact, I have a doll that I got back in Octo. of 2010, and I still have to name him! Now, I do give them some some kind of story, and some are actually related to each other. But I don't plan out anything out. Lol, fail.

10. My dolls` family consists of three different boys: IH EID, Dollshe boy and MSD Dollzone. At first they didn`t look alike at all. But in time when I changed their makeup and style, they became "family". If I want to match dolls I can do it. So when I decide to buy a doll, I base only on my liking.

11. No, my current collection of three is already quite diverse with two SDs and one MSD of all different skin colours.

12. Well, none of my dolls are supposed to be related right now. I will be getting a pair of brothers, but they will both be from Luts.

I do have a group of dolls that might not match- 3 or 4 are going to be from Iplehouse, one is from Volks, and one will be from Luts probably. But I don't mind, because I'm more concerned about finding sculpts that fit the characters.

I am probably going to get another Dollfie Dream to go with the one I have now, since she'll probably be a bit off from the others.

I'd like to have at least two dolls of each size - two SDs, two MSDs, two Yo's, two mature tinies. They don't both have to be from the same company though.

I'm only seriously planning to buy dolls from a few companies right now, so that might help everybody fit in.

As for fitting in with my storylines, I'm pretty flexible about creating new characters for new dolls I like. They're open-ended fantasy worlds, so it's not like I'm restricted from throwing in new characters not related to the main ones.

13. Do you only by dolls that compliment your doll-family?

No. I buy if the sculpt appeals, primarily. But I do think about what dolls I have already and how the doll might or might not fit in... but it's not my main concern.

If you do, what do you think makes you do this? Why does it matter?

In the slight way that I do think about it... I think about stories that may work with the dolls and how they might go with other dolls, and what can be posed nicely with what...

If not what are your thoughts on the matter?

I think it's a valid way to choose dolls, but I'd rather get what I really like and not worry about if it fits in or not. I'd hate to pass up a doll I'd really like because it didn't fit in with my other dolls or my story ideas. I'd rather make more stories and more characters to fit my dolls! :D

14. Do you only by dolls that compliment your doll-family?

In the beginning I didn't... but learned that was a mistake, so I have sold some off and now I will only buy dolls that fit!

If you do, what do you think makes you do this? Why does it matter?
      I just like them to all look like they fit, so that in photos they look better. it's just aesthetically pleasing.

15. From now on yes because trying to sell those that you decide don't fit in is a nightmare! @_@

16. I do only buy dolls that fit into the group I have going... They're meant to be characters from the same universe, so some styles would absolutely not fit in with the ones I have. With a fantasy kind of setting you can get away with some things (tinies could be faeries or imps, different skintones, etc.) but the sculpting has to look like its all from the same universe. I buy the doll for the character, and a lot of gorgeous dolls will never match up with a character of mine...

17. do you only by dolls that compliment your doll-family?

I do, I try to just buy dolls that are SD or 70 cm size that could reasonably work together--they have to be able to share clothes and props, for one thing. I also find I buy certain face types and even the same mold more than once *_*.

I used to have a more diverse crew, but I found that the oddball sizes and types weren't played with, so they were moved along to better homes. I think it's probably a sign that I am a sad creature of habit. ;)

18. Yes, I consciously make sure that any doll I consider fit into one of the 3 universes that I classify my dolls into loosely. If they don't fit into any of them, as gorgeous as they are, I will not consider buying them. They do not have to look cohesive from universe to universe, but they must fit with dolls within, especially for photography purposes.

19. Yes and no...
      I have only one MSD girl right now, but am going to order one more at the end of the mounth. I have 3 variants:
      1)MSD girl that is quite expensive though she will really fit with my Aquatrica, they will be.... sisters I think...
      2)MSD girl that doesn't match with my Aqua, though I really love the way she looks
      3)SD girl I love a lot

Hard choice, and 'matching' is the main problem here, I don't know what to do. One one hand it does bother me, on the other - not really

20. Yes I do because they will all very be homogeneous when put together and they have connections with each other. I find that if a doll doesn't fit in, they feel a bit ... alien-ish