1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer to buy dolls from the same maker, or a lot of different makers?

May 21, 2019

1. I've had man dolls from many different companies over the years but I found that I like Volks more than anything else so all my dolls are from Volks now

2. I personally like to have dolls from a bunch of different companies; that way my collection will have a lot of diversity! I'm currently leaning a bit towards getting several Resinsoul dolls, though, due to their many resin colour options and fantasy parts ^^ their dragon and centaur dolls are too cute not to get!

3. I have been attracted to dolls from the same handful of companies so far. I have looked a lot into different companies, but still have a strong preference toward my favorites

4. I find myself wanting to try dolls from a few different companies but that might change once I’ve tried a variety of them.

5. Oh, I like variety so much! So I have dolls from various companies, bust sometimes, a couple from the same company, too. héhé

6. I just look for sculpts I really love. Once one catches my eye I check what body they are on and what their poseability is like and if they come in a skin color suitable for the character I have in mind. If it's up to standards I'll probably decide to purchase the doll. In that regards companies don't matter much to me.

However if I've purchased a doll from a certain company and notice the doll is poor quality or the customer service is poor quality then the chances are very small that I'll still purchase from that company even if there's a doll I really really like.

Over time I've come to really appreciate companies that are invested in their customers. I have my favorite companies by now that I know are wonderful to deal with and take utmost care to deliver a beautiful product. I also have some companies on my blacklist due to the opposite. I've often considered selling a certain doll because the company was just a pain to deal with but then I figure it's not the dolls fault and keep them anyway.

So while I prefer to have a diverse collection I also love to buy from my favorite companies just to support them because they're awesome.

7. I like having a variety in my crew. //looks at my crew, 3 Switch boys//. In my defense, Switch sculpts are pretty adorable.

Here's my current crew. I like having different heights as well. But it just puts a weight on my wallet:sigh
      [​IMG]

8. I love many different dolls from different makers since I like when one is very different to the next. I do have a “theme” of creatures and not really any humans, but I prefer one doll to be unique compared to the next. It makes it more fun to me.
      All this said, I do own 5 doll chateau, and eventually a 6th on the way. But they are very different one to another. One is a spider, another a centaur, a snail, and a mermaid, etc. :whee:

9. I like to buy dolls from different makers, but I have companies that I consistently go back to such as Peakswoods. It's more important to me to have a sculpt that matches the idea I have and there are so many wonderful companies out there. I think for males I tend to stick to Switch and RaMcube though.

10. I tend to buy dolls from only two or 3 different makers. It makes my collection look cohesive. Most of my dolls are from 5 Star Doll and Resinsoul/Bobobie.

11. Once all of my orders come in, I’ll have dolls from 22 different artists/companies… so I do like to try new things. That being said, I do have favorites amongst the bunch that I continuously buy dolls from.

12. Until recently, all of my dolls were from different companies! I have the most from Resinsoul/Bobobie (3) but I also have two Comibaby Doll Cutie girls, which surprised me with their great engineering and cute sculpts.

I think my collection (past and present) goes something like this:

Luts x3
      Resinsoul/Bobobie x3
      Fairyland x2
      Comibaby Doll x2
      Bluefairy x1
      Cocoriang x1
      Volks x1
      Aimerai x1

I'm probably going to stick within these companies in the future though.

13. I'm a "different companies, similar aesthetic" person (and a "hybrid everything!!" person). Migidoll and Oasisdoll make up the majority of my dolls, but I also own Iplehouse, Monochrome, Freedom Teller, Volks, and Rosettadoll. Switch and Luts would also fit nicely if I ever take the plunge!

14. I think I landed somewhere inside "stylistic realism" where my dolls don't look like realistic people but they also don't have such exaggerated sculpts that they look cartoonish, and I definitely did want different makers but I ended up with a few from the same maker kind of by accident.

My goal was always to try to match my dolls proportion-wise across makers. Eyes should be ~14mm, height should be ~60cm give or take, head should be 8-9in, etc etc. and if a doll I like doesn't conform to the proportions then I try to put them out of my mind. I have a couple of girls who are on the shorter side, but this approach really helped me as I scanned around for dolls in different companies.

I would make an exception for a Shiwoo elf, probably, but I've already mentioned "dolls I don't think I'll ever own" somewhere else...

15. Trying to stick to 1-2 makers so I don’t go too far down the rabbit hole :p

16. I prefer getting my dolls from different makers because I like my dolls to have different aesthetics and personalities.

I realize I tend to gravitate towards Korean makers though, so it's a mixture of Illusion Garden, Switch, Souris Etoile, Lemoon and Prime Frame for me.

17. I have different doll brands for the bjds I own. I found however that my favorite dolls are by Doll Chateau and Volks. If I purchase another doll it will probably be by either of those two brands. I do however have a pre-order for a Lillycat Ninon. She will be my first independent doll maker doll.

18. I have dolls from different brands (2 True Love, 1 MYOU, 1 Fairyland, and then my next one will be Withdoll) - all MSD but ranging from 41-46cm. I want them to be able to work in the same “world” but still have their own individual style.

19. With my purchase of a second doll from the same company, I finally have an equal number of dolls and companies they're from. Everyone was from a different company, with one hybrid. So, well, can't say I'm a one company kind of person :XD:

20. I'm currently sticking to just a few companies and artists because I like their style best, but I don't want to limit myself. One of the things that I like about this hobby is never knowing what comes next. I'm looking forward to discovering new companies and new artists whose creations will be irresistible to me :)