1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remove hands and head when dressing/redressing?

Sep 23, 2015

1. I remove hands when they're magnetic, that's about it!

2. Just the head depending on the doll, as I've got a few that it would be impossible to put clothes on without removing their oddly shaped or oversized heads!

3. Not really. Not unless the garment in question is really tight about the sleeves or neck and usually stuff like that I use snaps so I can undo sleeves and necks easily. I'm not a masochist when it comes to doll clothes. I don't like clothing that is hard to take off or put on. I have autoimmune problems and stringing a doll can be really painful for me. I don't do it more than I have to. I do remove heads, hands for face ups but otherwise I try not to once a doll is strung.

4. I never remove the head or hands, probably with me its just the lazy way out. I know that, especially with the new Iplehouse hands, I will probably regret that one day. I will try to make an effort to protect the head and hands.

5. To avoid damaging the face up I do remove the head and also to avoid breaking a finger I remove the hands sometimes.

My oldest dolls don't have that option to remove the head without having to pull them all apart because the string is connected to the headcap. I bought epoxy and some small magnets to see if I can make their headcaps as the new ones because it's really a pain to dress them without removing the head.

6. The only reason for me to remove the head and/or hands to dress a doll are if the cuffs are too narrow for the hands to get through (in which case I alter the cuffs or don't keep that clothing) and/or the neck is too small to get over the head easily or go on feet first (ditto on the altering/not keeping stance unless it's a VERY special piece of clothing)

Teddy

7. I usually remove my dolls head when changing clothes, mostly because I don't want the clothes to be in touch with the make up.
      I try not to remove the hands if it is not completely necessary, fortunately I don't have to do it often.

8. Most of the time I only remove hands when dressing my dolls... BJD clothes usually have wide openings to let us pull the clothes from the leg to their shoulders :P (luckily is that case or else removing the head everything is a big hassle for me)

9. I don't remove heads or hands to put on BJD clothing unless I need to. Most of the clothing my dolls have don't pose any issues where that would be necessary.

10. I always remove head to avoid damaging the eyelashes or the face up. But I never remove hands since all my doll's hands are not magnetic and the clothes I have can be worn with the hands still on.

11. It depends if it's too tight to fit or not.

My minifee WILL lose their hands in the sleeves no matter what, so I always remove them (feet too), and 99.9% of times their head is too big for the shirts holes. So in their case I always remove hands, feet and head.
      For dolls with non-mag hands, it try to put the clothes on with the hands on, but if it really doesn't fit I've got a hand-replacement piece made to fit to through sleeves!
      Currently my only non-minifee doll is a type1 delf, and removing his head pretty much means restringing the whole doll. So if the shirt doesn't fit over the head, he can suck it! He's staying topless :-D

12. I don't remove the head or hands, sometimes not even the wig. I don't think I would want outfits that would require that in order to be put on, but then again, one should never say never, right?

13. If necessary, yes. I'd rather spent a few minutes taking off head and hands than ruin a great faceup or manicure, especially since so many of my dolls have easy change systems (magnets or that lovely s-hook slot in the wrist joint Volks dolls have). I have a few pairs of fist hands to put on the dolls that don't have easily removable hands for tight sleeves.

14. I often find myself changing hands because I like hands with splayed fingers, which can make it hard to get them through sleeves! But I have some Delf sleeping hands that I don't use, so I just put those on and they fit through sleeves just fine. As for the head... I do tend to avoid taking it off as much as possible XD If the fabric is stretchy I'll just squeeze it over the head, because I painted all my dolls anyway so I don't care if they get rubbed! Being lazy is more important! :roll:

15. I made a perfect shirt once but the hands wouldn't fit so I have to remove them. It's a very scary experience but then again I'm still new to all of this.

16. I don't usually remove their heads or hands. One of my girls has a blouse that will not go over one hand (it's more open than the other)-- so she tends to wear that blouse for long periods, and then not wear it for long periods. Having to remove the hands is a hassle. I try to dress my dolls in clothes that will fit them fairly easily.

17. I remove their heads because I think it prevents the fabric from rubbing against and possibly damaging their faceup and eyelashes. (Also I worry about fibers and dust getting on their faces that transfer from clothing).

18. Rarely would I remove a head or hands for dressing. I will only do it if it would be very tight or difficult to put the article on without damaging my doll. I always hols the front of tops away from their face but that's about it. One of my guys has magnetic hands so I would be more likely to remove his to make dressing easier.

19. I don't buy any clothes that require removing the head, but I'll buy a narrow-sleeved shirt since Volks hands are easy to take off.

20. No, but I do try and avoid the face when putting on/removing shirts. I'll probably remove my Minifee's hands because magnets are easier.