1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remove hands and head when dressing/redressing?

Sep 23, 2015

1. I haven't had to remove Johnny's hands yet, but I HAVE had to do his head a few times already. It was hard the first time, but I've got something suitable to pull the S-hook now, so getting his head off and on is a cinch.

2. If I had a minifee or similar doll, I'll do remove both hands and heads ! But none of my dolls have easily removable hands so I don't take them of, and as for the head... It depends on the doll ! I have two dolls with a faceplate, so I just take it off, and it already makes things way easier when redressing. An other one have a head that I don't struggle removing, it's quite fast and easy using a ribbon so I take it off too. Finally, and I don't know why, my SD sized boy head is a paiiiiin to remove, I have to pull on the S hook really hard, and it's not easy to put it back too, so I just never take it off.

3. The head, yep - have had to remove it many times. I seriously now avoid changing my dolls into those clothes that require it - but the fit is really good, so it's a trade off. The hands and feet, ugh...I had to do that a couple times as well and I avoid those clothes too. I do have one dress that I love - my girl has never worn it because it would require taking off hands and head and well...I'm just lazy and she already has tons of other options. Maybe for a fancy theme I'll change her up though because I do love the dress.

4. I heard there are like... paddle-like hands that you can exchange the real hands with while dressing the doll to avoid losing the string, but I have no idea where to get them.

5. Yes for removing the head as it's not that difficult to do and Calli's ears tend to catch on clothes if I take them off or on with her head still on. Hands no, everything she has goes over them without a problem and it would be a lot more work to remove them than it is to take her head off.

6. Luts sells a useful accessory for holding arm elastic in place when taking off hands for redressing -- Welcome to LUTS - Ball Jointed Dolls (BJD) company. (If my link doesn't work, look under "Super Senior Delf Etc. Parts".)

JaimeShow also made a little resin ball with hook attached for their fashion-size resins. Years ago, a doll friend made something similar using a large wood bead, and I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't buy some then. :doh I really need to figure out how to make some. ;)

7. I've never had to remove parts in order to get a outfit on any of my dolls
      But now that I think about it removing hands might have made things a bit easier for me haha

8. I just put little plastic baggies over my guy's hands when I change his clothes. Makes things so much easier. I did have to take his hands off once though. His first outfit didn't fit too well.

9. If a shirt requires head removal, then I know my Minifee is going to be the only one wearing it. ;p

10. Head comes off every time I change clothes. It's actually one of the easiest things to do relative to the alternative; removing the wig (and reinstalling it, then brushing it out, then crying because of more flyaways); or even worse trying to clothe her around, over, or under her hair. Most of my dolls have very long hair and while a human might be able to get away with it it's not something I'm able to do without causing damage. :(

11. Once remove hands. Such a the style of dress, with long sleeves.

12. I've removed heads to dress dolls, but I absolutely refuse to remove hands! Good grief, that is too much for me! Especially since most of mine are yosd or smaller. The only doll I have that is a joy to dress is my FL ChicLine, he has magnetic hands and feet with a removable face plate. Too bad, he has no clothes, lol.

13. I would like to avoid the removal of anything when dressing if when possible, otherwise I remove hands when necessary.

14. I have heard of the 'resin dressing' ball hands. But have never gotten them. A collector friend suggested a closing s-hook, labeled at the store 's-hook binder #0'. Here is a picture of my Iplehouse nYID with one replacing her hand. Before I just avoided clothes that required hand removal. Now with this my dolls can wear anything. The collector that shared this with me actually hooks her s-hook binder right into the elastic. I hook mine into the metal s-hook (as in the photo). Found this in a hardware store in the area where they make keys.

[​IMG]

S-Binder #0 (replace hands for dressing) by Laurie W, on Flickr

15. Something that makes the MNF bodies an attractive option for an MSD doll, although a bit small.

16. Hands - only if they mag on. Heads - sometimes. I try to avoid clothes that require it, though, since some of my dolls have wigs that are a pain to reposition.

17. It tends to depend on the outfit. I have one that needs Raico's head to be removed because the neck hole is not large enough for his head. Andy gets her hands removed pretty often when changing.

18. I've been making my doll clothes, and I'm not sure I could stand to make clothing which had to be put on after removing the head or hands!

I guess removing heads didn't really occur to me early on, because I came to the BJD hobby through fashion dolls/action figures. For most that I have, you can remove hands, but not heads!

19. I have to remove the head of my IOS Chaos when putting him in his maroon turtleneck. It just won't go on any other way. Kind of a pain, but he looks dashing in it.

I have to do the same for my Doll Surreal Calliope and her hoodie. No zippers, snaps, or velcro, so the head has to be removed.

20. Heads, yes, I had nightmare not removing head and trying to dress tight clothes... it "looks" doable without removing head but not really in practice. Hands, not yet. But I didn't had problem dressing with hands.