1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think your doll has a soul?

Aug 1, 2011

1. No, I don't believe dolls have souls. They're easy to project emotions on to, because for the most part they are humanoid and we read the same signs in their faces as we do in other human beings. Eye positioning and body language are important non verbal communication cues for human beings and by positioning our dolls' eyes a certain way, sitting them in a certain way and having the light catch their expression, we believe they 'feel' something because they appear to. Appearances are deceptive. Dolls do not feel sad if they are damaged, we do, but we love them so much that our guilt and sadness is projected on to them, so it appears that they are sad by what has happened.

If a doll appears to be lively and to emote, the only soul you're seeing is the one you're projecting on to them - it's your soul reflected back at you through their eyes.

2. My dolls all have souls. I believe if you love something enough, anything can develop a soul. And I see more emotion and feelings from my boys than from most people I meet.

3. The day my doll will talk to me and move by herself ill gladly answer yes.

4. You give the doll love, and character. You appreciate it and adore it, and in a sense perhaps it develops a soul though your love, but that soul is not PUT into the doll. Its just you. The doll becomes a portion of you, something you care about because you have given it a fictional life and character. So no, it does not have a literal soul though you adore it, but it is still important to you because you love it and give it love and attention. But No. It has a fictional personality but its "Life" so to speak is what YOU create it to be. Not alive, no soul, but still loved.

:)

5. I would love to own her, let her soul more and more

6. My Lala, whom I don't even own yet, has been in several of my dreams, and in them she is very much a very real being. Now yes, I'm perfectly aware that she is quite literally a product of my imagination at this moment in time, but in essence, where ever she is, I'm already sending/recieving an energy to with and from her. (I know "energy" sounds vague, but it's a truth. In all reality the whole universe, molecules, dolls, air, water, everything, even the plastic ones, are nothing but fluid energy in a constant give and take exchange.) When you pour your energy and love into something, it becomes imbued with it, and so yes, in my opinion, it does......... to a point. I suppose the whole term "soul" is debatable, and everyone will offer their own different opinions, but my Lala, she's got her own personality already, her own energy, even if it's just an out cropping of some of my own, or what I've given her. I can feel it. ;)

7. That is SUCH an interesting viewpoint! Really neat, and it makes sense(of what sense can be made when talking about souls, lol.)

I myself believe in energy. Everything has an energy, from rocks to trees to dingos. I believe that certain energies can be attributed to certain objects, which in turn may start to reflect that energy given to them. For example, Rosslyn and the Coyote. The coyote had an energy to start with, and Rosslyn gave it negative energy by associating it with a negative legend. The Coyote, after a period of time, may start to reflect this energy back. My belief is that the coyote could continue to release this negative energy to the next owner(which explains why items can be labeled as haunted, such as a necklace that was worn by a murdered aristocrat(I couldn't think of anything else, lol.) The necklace continues to 'haunt' the future owners by surrounding them with that negative energy, which one can feel emanating from it.) Now, the new owner of Coyote woud be filling it with very positive energy, and since positive energy is just a higher frequency than negative energy, the Coyote would eventually be filled with positive energy.
      :aheartbea
      This is my weird theory, this is.

OMG, I just got chills. I didnt read ALL the posts until after I posted...this is so close to what I believe (ENERGY)--glad I'm not alone!!

8. I don't believe dolls have human souls...at least I sure hope not. Wouldn't that be awful, to be at the beck and call of another being and totally unable to control your own actions? To be conscious of the world around you, but literally unable to lift a finger to move yourself or even be able to communicate with anyone? Brr.

What I believe, in all seriousness, is that I project a specific part of my own personality onto that little hunk of plastic (polyurethane, vinyl, whatever) that gives it a spiritual resonance to me. The doll is not the character. The doll is a physical, tangible representation of the character. If the doll is damaged beyond repair, or lost, or stolen, I can get another of the same or similar mold and "transfer" that spiritual resonance--which is, after all, nothing more or less than a projection of myself--into the new "shell". (This has actually happened to me.) The new doll is no more or less the same character as the old one was, because the "soul" didn't reside inside the doll in the first place.

I hope I'm explaining myself. ^^;;;

9. KiraKat: Haha yes! I did the same thing when I started reading yours! hehehehe :D

10. Holy god... I don't even believe I have a soul, so my doll obviously doesn't, either! xD

11. I would like, why not after all? who knows?
      There's just watching the film "The Doll Master" lol
      so I do not know if it's better that they have one or not!

12. I believe dolls, or any object for that matter, can have a soul as much as we believe they can harbor one. If that makes any sense...
      I personally don't own a BJD yet but I've a few porcelain dolls and such and I believe they could have souls. Now, I can't tell what that means for the doll in the end, though. I doubt they'll start dancing around but if I were to drop a doll or break a part of one, I'd feel intense sorrow not just because of the fact that something I valued so highly is now somehow damaged but because I feel I've caused it pain in someway.

13. I believe many inanimate objects have souls, I can't help it. And that doesn't mean they're ALIVE, it just means they have souls. I don't know how to explain it. But with my dolls, they always, ALWAYS give off vibes, and the vibes change, and only souls and spirits and give vibes. At least that's what I believe. I am pretty crazy but whatever. Yes, my dolls have souls. ^ - ^

14. That would be horrific. To have a soul and be conscious but trapped, unable to move by yourself, to have your eyes poked out and replaced. To have expressions scrubbed off your face and your skin colour changed by being dipped in boiling dye. I would hate to be trapped in that kind of existence. No matter how much my owner loved me, I'd still be horrified that I couldn't do a thing for myself.

15. One of my dolls doesn't have soul, I'm sure about it.
      The other... I think they do.

16. Exactly what I wanted to write.

17. My bjd has a soul. I think everything can have a soul.

18. I'd like to think that. c:
      Especially since the whole reason I wanted a doll is because of the movie "The Doll Master,"
      which is based around that idea!

19. Well, my boys can express themselves to a degree. Like I can tell my MSD boy doesn't like 1 pair of his boots, when ever I put them on him he'll not stand at all. But only that pair :/ So that gives him a part of his personality, and to me, anything that has a personality can have a soul of some sort..tho not as strong as a truly living creature.

20. I explore myself through the dolls. So, the dolls are part of me and my personality, but nothing more.