1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think your doll has a soul?

Aug 1, 2011

1. I believe that inanimate objects can become inhabited by the echos of feelings, thoughts, etc. directed at them.

There are plenty of times I have walked into a room and gotten the impression of whether or not it was a happy/sad/angry place, or touched an object and gotten an impression of the person who owned it. I don't know why this happens, or why I seem to be right about my impressions more often than chance would dictate that I be.

That said, when I get a new doll, I invite the positive feelings into the doll, giving it a part of me on the condition it be released again on our parting or on my passing. Yeah, that sounds morbid, sorry- I don't mean it to be. I suppose I want the doll to be both "mine" and to have already received something to fill it- my positive feelings.

Ultimately, I'm a bit superstitious about leaving a brand new doll as-is, empty, as if it were a waiting vessel. That show, the Dead Files, with its episode about the woman with dolls didn't much help my superstition.

Do they have souls, though? No, only echoes.

2. I'm not sure what soul is.
      If Soul mean my doll will come alive...
      I kinda have mix feelings about that... xD

I do think dolls have personalities.
      I'm sure everyone(or most of people) have an idea of how their dolls would behave or react to certain situation inside our mind.
      I consider it my duty, as the owner, to help bring their unique personalities out into a visible image, whether through faceup, clothing, picture, mods, ect.

3. When I saw Milhwa in sonyeongi's website i fell in love with him, not just because he looks gorgeous, I was stunned by the story setting. I believe that Milhwa is a gentle and sadistic person, from the day Yian created his mold and gave him a story, he has his own story and own soul. I was really touched by the storylines including LVER, Siesta, Hyul, and other non-switch storylines.
      I believe that all dolls have a soul, they touch urs and feel how you feel, also, they have their own feelings and emotions. Maybe I'm delusional but that's my true feeling.

4. i do think my doll has a soul ^^
      you get the feeling when you stare them at the eyes you didn't feel like its just a plain doll staring at you but really someone staring at you back :)

5. What a complex question...
      First off, I believe in souls in humans and animals, and I believe that plants, trees, and the earth have consciousness.
      I don't think that dolls have souls in that once they're created they immediately contain a presence and awareness. As they are loved and time progresses, creative energy collects in them. At least I believe so. I also think that souls can find refuge in our dolls, but certainly not all of them.
      So, no. I don't think that dolls have souls or consciousness except in very rare circumstances.

6. Before I could answer this question I would have to explain what a soul is. And I can't. Do I believe dolls have "life"? No. Do I believe it is an entity? No idea. Could I get attached to it and treat it like an entity? Yes.
      Like my other loved belongings I'd have a special connection to my dolls. I think it gets stronger because we can associate them with real humans/beings since they have bodies and faces

7. Very nicely explained :aheartbea

8. I do not think my doll has a soul, I believe that only living creatures have souls. I think inanimate objects can give off "vibes", and make you feel positive or nagative. Old dolls that are musty, cracked and creepy-looking don't give me very positive feelings, while my BJDs do :) I agree with Renearla that they have personalities, and how we feel about them, paint their face-ups or picture them influences this.

9. Fascinating thread! Technically, a soul is a human element & therefore, a doll would not have one. HOWEVER. My personal belief is that all things, both animate & inanimate, have souls--an essence & energy & spirit that is unique to that specific existence. Everything, even rocks & dirt, exist; they were created out of something & have form & substance. Are they real? No, not in the singing, dancing, eating, laughing, carrying on way as we humans but until someone proves otherwise, I believe in the soul of all things. So, yes, my dolls have souls. It may simply be that we infuse our dolls with so much of ourselves that their "soul" is really an extension of our own--my dolls are definitely each little pieces of me. Ah, there is no single answer, is there? I have totally loved reading all the responses & respect each viewpoint--but put me down for doll souls!
      :)

10. DO DOLLS HAVE SOULS?

What kind of question is this?

Unless you have a soul doll?

Dolls have souls like sofas and toasters!

Gah some people take things too far!

11. Honestly, I'm of the belief that while inanimate objects don't have souls of their own, if we come to care about them we actually transfer bits of our own soul to them through mind and contact (this has to do with the soul being the electric current in the human body, and thus it can be transferred). Because it is fragments of our own soul, it holds a higher meaning and aura for us, and is why other people may or may not see it.

If enough of a person's soul energy is transferred, it can create a strong enough aura to make it seem like the doll has a soul. This goes for any object dear to a human being, not just dolls, but because dolls are more or less depictions of human beings, they tend to be the strongest receptors. This can in turn make them seem like they have their own emotions and personalities, because these fragments have broken off from us and have become their own entity within the object.

This probably also coincides with my strong belief in the supernatural. It's why we sometimes believe that objects left behind by people who have died still hold a piece of them in it, and this is the origin of things like ghosts. They could very well be the leftover static energy of a person still resonating within a place or thing, creating a "human-like" presence.

As such, I totally agree with what yewberry said, about dolls being empty vessels when they are made, waiting to be filled. This is probably why most people prefer to have new dolls as opposed to second hand, adopted dolls (actually this could be said about aquiring anything of real meaning second hand), because said doll will already possess soul energy fragments of the previous owner.

12. Ever since I can remember, I've believed that everything has a soul. That soul can either occur naturally (As in nature) or be gained over time throughout the things lifetime. ^_^

13. I don't know how to answer this question.
      I love my dolls but I don't believe they will have 'soul'. Maybe it's an abstract definition to me.
      Well, I have seen the boss of Volks said that every doll represents another yourself.
      My doll is a reflection of myself~
      Maybe doll don't have soul initially. But the care from their master give them 'soul' and life. :)

14. Your comment made me laugh but I agree with you,they're not freaking Chucky.

15. Speaking as someone who is barely mentally recovered from a horrible experience with a possessed doll...

There is a difference between souls, spirits, and energy. Personally, I believe the soul is a strictly human thing. Our souls give off energy which attaches very easily to dolls because they are made in the image of man. This extends to things like stuffed animals and other 'lifelike' toys too, and even maybe even pictures to an extent (I would imagine, anyway.) Likewise, spirits (clean or unclean) also attach most easily to these types of objects.

Spirits, I believe, can be sentient or not, but either way I think they all have a fairly warped view of our world and can't really understand things the way we do. They are all awareness without reason. Nevertheless, they wish to be a part of our world, to become real by way of being acknowledged (and taking it to extreme cases, I believe the unclean spirits truly desire to be lifted above humans, to be 'worshiped'; I think they are envious of us.), which in many cases means being contained in something that is precious to a human.

We do have the power to invite or forbid these spirits from entering our dolls. If you fill your doll with the positive energy from your own soul by taking care of it and so forth, there won't be any room for the negative; spirits, energy, etc.

That's the way I see it, anyhow. In short -- nope, my doll doesn't have a soul, but he does give off sweetly pleasant energy, reflecting what I have poured into him. ;)

16. Yes they do. Very much! But then so does my car. Sometimes I feel guilty when I pay attention to one of them, particularly new ones, as the other little critters watch on. And I also have been known to feel guilty when I buy a new car!

(I'm crazy - yes - but don't worry - I'm benign. )

17. Only my Volks dolls have souls, my lesser dolls are empty soulless husks.

18. I don't think dolls can posses a soul, like human do. Yet, there is something in them, something I perceive when I'm in the room not caring about them and suddenly I realize they've been there all the time, they always are, taking silently part of my life....they don't have a soul of their own, but maybe they can mirror mine...

19. They have the soul of the character I created..If that counts, all my boys n girls all have their very own personality, and if the doll i decide on doesn't fit,then it become an empty shell,until the next one come along, and if boys agree, then that doll will gain a life....in a manner of speaking, hope it make senese O.o

20. Gotta say: Nope.

Personally, I don't even believe anything actually alive has soul. However, that's just because of my belief system.

Can you attach a personality to the object? Yes, of course. It's fun to get attached to something like a doll that is aesthetically pleasing to look at! Attaching a personality is just apart of the human process of trying to relate. Not only that, but it's fun to create characters and see those characters you created in your mind take an actual physical form, such as a BJD doll.