1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you try to order within your own country?

Feb 26, 2015

1. Given a choice, I prefer to shop from my own country basically because I want instant gratification & hate waiting the month or so for even little things like clothes, shoes & wigs to arrive from overseas. That said, I do buy a significant number of small items from China & South Korea. Somethings just aren't available here, often the shipping is free & the prices are especially good. Dolls I prefer to buy from a dealer or secondhand rather than order direct from a company. I just feel safer if something should go wrong.

2. I do try to order from within the US if I can, but I often can't. There are some countries that, having heard many horror stories about shipping from their country to outside countries, I am not willing to order from at all, but that is only a few countries.

I don't mind the longer wait times associated with ordering from outside countries so much as I mind the shipping costs. I would much rather pay less to ship a package within the US than pay more to have it go through customs.

3. I live in Norway, haha, I pretty much have to order everything online x)

4. I prefer to order within my country because of ease of communication, wait times, shipping, and customs frustration, but that's about it.

5. I definitely prefer being able to buy within my country. Customs officers are sharks in my country, and you never know when they might decide to "overcompute" your import taxes and such. Thankfully there is a dealer here who carries a lot of the Chinese brands, since I've found that I love dolls who look beautiful in hanfu, and the Chinese dollmakers definitely know how to do that best.

6. I bought a Doll Chateau Lilian from Fabric Friends and Dolls where she was in stock and in my country. The doll arrived in only 4 days! So I tend to search dealers in my own country first.

7. In preference I would order within my own country because it's faster and I'll avoid customs bills but in practise what I wantoften isn't available so I'll buy from abroad

8. I generally try to shop within my home country whenever possible (US in my case), but I don't really have an issue with shopping other countries, so long as the items are made by people who are earning a fair wage.

9. I can't stand ordering from overseas. I'm so incredibly impatient when it comes to shipping. But that doesn't mean I do. There are plenty of friends and artists in Russia that create spectacular pieces the I can't help but have, so it does come down to waiting for shipping. Oh well, you get one you lose one!

10. I would like to if I can. But there just not so many people into this hobby within my country. So I usually order from China or Korea. They have more options and style to chose from.

11. I prefer to stay within my country for second hand dolls or doll parts. I muuuch prefer dealers to buying direct as well just because I feel communication is better.

For everything else? I’ll all over the place lol! I focus more on getting what I want with clothing/eyes/wigs and sometimes that requires buying from artists all over the world.

12. Not really, I make an effort to find the item Im looking for though but I'm very happy when I find out that the seller is from my country because that means faster shipping. I support small business regardless of the country and most of my bjd stuff comes from korea or russia.

13. I prefer to stay in the EU for second-hand dolls or parts, if I have a choice. Shipping is cheaper and my dolls don't end up being held hostage by customs. Having said that, I don't always have a choice.

For ordering new dolls I generally just order direct from the company.

14. I try my best to order from my country. The reason is most bjd companies that I like are in Asia and if I were to order there it would take forever to make. For example, Ringdoll is my favorite company. But what sucks about them is it takes forever to make the doll. I hear their team is very small so it takes months for them to get to your order on top of everyone else ordering. And their products are all handmade. Of course I understand why it takes so long but that’s why I try to search in my own country if someone is selling a Ringdoll. Because if it’s in the us that means it’s already been made and they will ship fast and I’ll get the doll within a few weeks or so. Not having to wait months. That’s the only reason why I prefer to order from my country.

15. I don’t mind where I order from if I love the BJD....but the import duty/tax does put me off from time to time!

16. There's not much in my country, so I order from wherever the thing is. I'm used to it -- it's usually impossible to find supplies for most of my hobbies in my home country:(. Or buy them for at least semi reasonable price.:eek:

17. I don't, generally. Shipping in Canada is very expensive, so it's usually cheaper to buy overseas. It's often quicker, too. (Our country is so large!) If I had the choice between a Canadian seller and an out of country seller with relatively similar prices, I'd pick the local one because I'd love to encourage a community here, but unfortunately there's just not much selection and the costs are too high.

18. For me it's mostly an issue with shipping. So will I order from other countries? Yes but mostly Canada, Mexico and other countries Central America.

When comes to order from overseas typically the shipping is too high from a private buyer. It's not private sellers fault at all. However if I am going to pay a lot in shipping I rather order new product directly from the company.

19. I used to order via a dealer in the UK but realised the wait times were sometimes triple what they would be if I ordered direct or via a dealer in China. The prices can also be inflated to take customs fees and other expenses into account when purchasing in the UK/EU so there's not much point in me limiting where I order from.

20. Yep some of my favorite dolls are from Japan...:(,And they always are sold out. And the deliver fee costs me a lot.
      But when I receive the doll everything is deserved.