1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you try to order within your own country?

Feb 26, 2015

1. For me, it's wherever I can find what I'm looking for so I've gone with both options. Some doll clothes I've gotten from etsy shops in the US, but I think for the most part most of my doll stuff I've gotten from outside the states. They tend to be cheaper most of the time, even with shipping. The bjds I have I bought directly from the companies, so I know for sure those I've gotten from outside the US.

2. I prefer to try to buy from dealers in my country, and same goes with people selling handmade or secondhand merch. I'm totally willing to buy from elsewhere, but as far as shipping and wait times, I like to shop ''locally'' first... though the majority of this hobby does stem from companies and collectors over seas.

3. I would love to buy in the US just because shipping from some companies is just as expensive as the items. I do love my aliexpress. I know I could be buying knockoffs though and that does bother me, but what can you do? I like taobao, but I dont know how to use it.

4. I'm with you, I try to buy from the US first, but everything seems to be from overseas that I like, dolls, clothes.....

5. I'm with you. We in the USA, don't seem to get hit with those often but I feel for everyone who does, I think if they must charge them then it should be a flat rate depending on box size... though in my opinion I don't think they should charge them on small items like dolls or doll clothes... Large items yes but not on small hobby items.

6. I like to order from Japan or Korea. Usually I use Japanese forwarding websites or buy from Japanese stores. I feel like this way I know all of my dolls are authentic regardless of whether or not they come with a certificate of authenticity. I know this isn't a guarantee, but it's a lot more likely. I don't know that I've ever gotten a more expensive doll from the U.S., but cheaper ones I have and I do enjoy that as well. Either way it seems they arrive in about the same amount of time anyway.

7. So just out of curiosity, when shopping for your dolls, do you make an effort to seek out items from your own country first? Or do you simply buy from wherever my have what it is you're looking for?[/QUOTE]
      it depends on what the item is. Most my charms I use now come from Asia because they are the only ones that copied and made molds of the charms I like same with many findings. I try to get the old vintage when I can from RI auctions but have realized to get the right size and variety of designs and such to make jewelry for my dolls I have to buy outside the country 3/4s of the time. I know allot of seamstresses so most clothes I can get here but m a stickler for likeing good fabric. I have been known to send people material to make things and the thrift shops with heavy Asian populations are a mecca [like Hayward in Calif] for the most beautiful hand embroidered saris and other dress wear to use. With wigs usually US but Asia also has some cool wigs. With beads I am particular and like the Bohemian so with faceted crystals and specialty beads almost exclusively Czech but with US sellers. I do get some hard to find colors from a small business in Latvia sometimes but have to wait longer for them than anything from Asia the colors are incomparable though and breathtaking [even if the wait is insane]. Real stone beads I either get here or from India sometimes other parts of Asia if I can trust the sellers that they are genuine.

8. I prefer to buy from Asia or another country, not mine. Where I live is distant from the good shops in my country and it's more expensive to buy anything here than Asia, and I think in internet there's more variety of clothings and accessories than here..

9. Unfortunately, this is not possible any longer here. All German BJD shops are gone. Until recently, I bought from a seller in UK, but this is also not an option any longer. Therefore, I am trying to buy within the EU, which is very difficult, as my preferred brand is not that common.

10. I believe more people ought to be world citizens instead of nationalistic ones, and so I purchase things just based on my own desires. "Made in America" is mostly just a marketing sham, so I do not hesitate to buy quality things from overseas. There are no local shops here anyway.

11. I don't think they have a bjd shop where I live so I would buy things online. The full sets from the company seem pretty expensive but I've seen very pretty clothes on etsy and facebook.

12. I would always look at the local Marketplace for BJD in my country as transactions and shipping would be fast and easy but only a limited people would sell dolls that I have interest in. So I mostly purchase accessories locally.

13. i live in australia so i believe it is and always will be impossible to buy within my country, firsthand anyway. i was lucky enough to find a secondhand event head from a fellow australian collector tho, but thats what itll boil down to.... luck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. I believe unless I buy secondhand I can't? The dolls I'm interested in fewer people seem to have, so I don't believe it's even likely. So yeah, I don't. also I don't really care where they come from, as long as I get them and they are not broken! xD

15. I myself am totally fine with the international transactions, both with company and secondhand dolls and items. I can easily understand the people (and even the companies, not easily though...) who'd like to keep it in the domestic area, and I wouldn't have any offense on such sellers, however it's a rare occasion and I've never met it so far, just have heard about it from my friend who's in the hobby for much longer than me.

16. I'm in the US, so when it comes to dolls and eyes, I buy from Junkyspot. I buy the wigs on Etsy and I sew the clothes myself.

So... Go Team USA(?)

17. If I can buy locally I will, just to save on shipping and to be able to pay in Australian dollars XD

18. I definitely would like to buy wherever the item originate from. Go direct if possible. If the dolls are made in Korea, so I try to buy online in the Korean website. If they have a distributor/ office here like Volks, then I order them here. For other items, where the origin of that item is. We want to save more money to buy more stuffs! :)

19. I really tried to stick to companies in my country. but there so few. Unfortunately I have fallen irrevocabally in love with Iplehouse. Maybe I should just pack my bags and move to Korea?!

20. I tend to just buy from wherever. I'm more about getting the most for my money. Why buy one item in my own country for some outrageous price when I could buy directly from the company and probably come out cheaper? The amount of clothes, shoes, wigs and accessories I have for my dolls would have cost me a mint if I got them directly from American shops. Granted, I just found out that there is a store in my State that sells BJD clothes so I'm excited. I'm going to take my mother on a road trip to shop.