1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Use Your Dolls as Replacement Children?

Apr 9, 2012

1. The opposite. My mother passed away from cancer a few years back, and since then, my Dad became pretty reclusive.

I think I see my dolls as ME and then I see "me" as MY parents. Soooo...kind of?? I guess I do treat my dolls in the way that, maybe, I wanted my Mom and Dad to treat me. :)

2. No, my dolls do not replace children, because I have 2 of my own (Boy 11 and girl 12) Best thing I did in my life! (and no, I did not want children either, so much for that!) My dolls are playthings, creative outlets, projection screens, collectors items, opportunities to escape. They don't talk back, whine or love you and give you a hug when you most need it ... That's what kids are for, imho.

3. No I have no children, I may some day. But No!! I don't use my dolls as replacements. I use them as toys, expensive, very beautyfull and artfully done, but toys none the less. Its an outlet to help me detox from the world.

It's not a bad thing if you do, I may care for my dolls more than my cat! Well that's not true... How ever!... my mother will sit there and tell someone... "Oh, you know I guess there her kid." and that realy pisses me off! It's one thing if I've told you yes that's how I feel about them, but another when you don't know what's in my head... don't ask me! Then start telling people made up things about me....

Oops sorry! I'm sure all you heard was *rant*rant*rant*rant*

But anyway I find it hard to imagine since most of my dolls are adult dolls. I guess I need more MSD's to feel that way, you'll hear no complaint from me about that one.....

4. I wouldn't consider them replacement children at all. I personally do not have any interest in having children, but I do call them my "babies" and enjoy their company. However, I wouldn't go so far as calling them toys -- They seem a lot more than that, no?

Alternately, sometimes it seems that they are like children! Such as making mental reminders to get one a new shirt, or get another some shoes, it's much like taking care of a young child I suppose. Especially making sure they don't fall down when they stand up!

5. I have never considered anything, pets or objects, as replacement children. I loved my cats like family, but when the time came to find a better place for us to raise our baby (on the way!) in, I had to give them up to someone else to care for. I'm still not over it. I wouldn't feel the same way about a doll; I don't have feelings for them the way I do living things. So no, my dolls aren't replacement children for me. I can't help but feel some sympathy for those who do see them in this way (I just want to hug them and make them feel better).

6. Well, people have pretty strong feelings about babies. Strong feelings require strong words. I've noticed that babies are one of those issues that few people feel 'halfway' about. The whole issue is very upsetting to some people. If they do feel dislike or outright hate, it's not up to us to tell them to use a gentler word for their own feelings.

7. Not really I've palyed with dolls all my life. I can just offd more expensicve ones as an adult with an income of my own. I lovce my dolls, have invested them with characters and personalities, formed emotional attachments to them, but they're not alive except in the fictional world I imagine for them.

Probably - or as much as I could given that having kids would eat up a good deal of my available money.

I have 4 godchildren, 2 nephews, a niece (with 2 kids of her own), and a veritable army of friends' kids I can "kidnap" pretty much whenever whenever I please. I think I have a pretty good deal (since I can always hand them back) with getting a kiddie-fix. Dolls are NOTHING like having kids. I may imagine a doll's character throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of a busy store/street/cinema/tourist spot or whatever, but it just doesnt' compare to the real thing.... thankfully. Having dolls really doesn't impinge on how I feel about not having kids of my own.

I'm in two minds about it:

a) So long as it's not not hurting anyone, where's the harm in them doing it

b) If they've lost their grip on reality and really BELIEVE it... that's kind of unhealthy.

It's hard to say - one person's harmless is another's unhinged and certifyable.

And there - I think - is the bsaic difference - you KNOW your dolls are, when it comes down to it, pieces of resin and the only "real/live" characteristics they display are those that spring from your imagination. It's losign site of that that tips it over the line from harmless to "crazy".

That's a very individual line.

Some people would say just being an adult who plays with dolls is a sign that you're "not all there".

Teddy

8. This question is for people who do not have children of their own.

I Do not have children and the possibility of me having them is very unlikely. I see my dolls as my "kids". I was wondering if anyone else does this too?

I'm married (for nearly 15 years now) and am happily child-free. I don't see my dolls as my kids at all. They're more abstract characters--some of them not even that much.

Does it give you something you were lacking not having children?

No, not really. Kids and dolls are very different things.

Would you pay as much attention to your dolls if you suddenly had kids?

No. I'd probably sell most of the collection, because my money and energy would need to be devoted to raising and educating the child. (And I think this is addressed in another question on the board, but I probably would not give my theoretical kid a BJD, at least not until they were in high school and could prove they could care for such an expensive item. There are plenty of other types of dolls to start off with!)

Do your dolls make you feel better or worse about not have kids of your own.

Really, there's no connection whatsoever. I rarely have regrets about not having kids because it never was important to me. The fleeting moments where I think "Wow, if only..." are usually brought on if I meet some well-behaved cute little kid. And that goes away very quickly. I made my decision long ago. It was the right one for me.

9. I don't like children, so my dolls aren't a replacement for them.

10. My dolls are like fantasy children. They take me to another world but they are calming and grounding for me. they are a wonderful hobby.

11. No - I don't really like most children and I definitely don't want any for many reasons. However, when I first got my dog, my interest in BJDs dropped. I didn't take any photos or even remove them from a display case for over a year. If other people like to think of their dolls like children, I don't see any problem with it.

12. isn't this thread very similar/essentially the same topic as the 'Mothering Instinct' thread just a few posts down? (note - not to insult the OP, i haven't checked which was started first, i just noticed the other one first...)

i will probably never have children and if i do it would be under special circumstances, like i said under that thread. but i do feel protective of my dolls in a way that could be called 'sisterly' if not 'motherly'. also, maintaining my dolls and keeping them in good condition, as well as the fact that i have pets, has made me realize that i definitely could not possibly look after a real child with the degree of attention and care that they would need. i can barely care for myself and my dolls - my s/o helps out with the pets a lot - so children are out of the question. but that doesn't mean i might not think of [some] dolls that way.

again to repeat what i said in the other thread though, i don't see the more physically mature dolls like children, i think of them as being young adults... it's just the childish ones i get this feeling about.

13. I don't think I'd use them as replacement children, but I'm only young and not in the place where a child is a big deal. I want one some day, but not now.

However part of the reason I enjoy dolls is because I have no friends and similar to the soft toys that I also collect I feel that the dolls will be company. I'm not all nutty and over zelous with it, for the most part they're just beautiful dolls that bring a smile to my face, and act as a creative outlet but they're kind of theraputic in a similar way to my cat and dog.

So kids... no
      friends... yes.

To me, what people do is up to them, if someone feels their dolls are like children or replacement children that's their prerogative and who am I to judge?

14. loves_little_angel, this thread sounds like it is about exactly the feelings that you just described. i can definitely sympathize.

15. Well for me the dolls are not replacement children. I also don't have children nor do I want one. But I do have my dog, and she is my baby :D

Like someone already mentioned, I can't see any harm in considering the dolls as your "children" as long as you really know that they are just dolls. If it makes you happy then why not. And even IF you would think they are real kids of yours, as long as you are not harming anyone then why not :D There are all kinds of "crazy" people out there, someone thinking their dolls are their children is not the worst thing ever :P

16. I dont like kids and babys. I dont have and dont want never. I like adult look dolls. I think they are my silent friends :).

17. I think i'd rather have a child of my own but at the moment it is impossible. And it would be impossible unless i have dwelling of my own. So a doll is ok with me ) Dolls are more easier to operate with than little children. ))) Of course they take a lot of your free time and consideration but it is pleasure itself. You can choose a doll or/and upgrade it. Make it the way you like. And human creatures are unpredictable. You can't bring up a child exactly in the way you want. A human it is always enigma that can betray you anytime.

18. My dolls are my toys. I will have my own kids in a few years and my dolls have nothing to do with them at all.

19. I am only 28 and don't have kids yet, but my dolls certainly are not my "kids". One day I might pop out a baby or two, but I'm only willing to do that with the person who loves me the same as I love them and can afford house, bills, and other necessities while raising kids. Otherwise at the moment, the only "kid" I have is my kitty cat. I call her "my baby" sometimes, since she's an attention whore, but not my dolls. They're too mature looking to be kids.

20. Wow, there are may people here that does not want or like children, It's actually quite refreshing. I do not want children ether.

I think dolls can be a fine replacement for children, just like anything that you are passionate about and like to spend time on. That said, I don't think there is anything special about dolls, everyone needs passion in their lives and if children doesn't suit you, you need to find something else to devote your energy to, be it dolls, videogames, painting or sports.

That said, if you specifically want to breed and raise offspring, a doll just won't do.