1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you value a BJD more if it is hard to get?

Jan 11, 2007

1. Being hard to get doesn't make a doll more desirable to me--the dolls I buy are the ones that fit the characters I have in mind for them and because I like the way they look.

2. I hate limited edition too. The frustration level is so high as is the disappointment of "I'll never be able to get that"

That said I actually have two LEs!! Persian Noctune White from Dollmore limited to 30 but apparently no one loves her except me since she's been on Dollmore for ages now. I panicked when I saw she was limited and went into debt to get her! And of course she's still available. And Heath who has been in my friends closet patiently waiting the year and a half until I could buy him!

But that was pure chance! I LOVE Thalia and Erato but can't hope to get them, Karumi either...

3. hard to get dolls require extra money and/or search and stuff. Because they are hard to get. So they should be valued more,I think.

4. If anyone ever has problems finding information on a Volks doll all they have to do is look at my guide linked in my sig. I have the prices for most of the dolls listed on there, and where to buy them. The guide was made to help newcomers afterall!

5. The thing I don't like about limiteds is that because I paid a certain amount of money for a rare doll, I could never change her. I would rather get one without a look set in stone.

6. I have dolls that are extraordinarily limited, and I have dolls which are still in production and have been for years. I don't value one over the other - they're each valued in their own individual ways. The bottom line is if the doll appeals to me personally, and that's all that really matters.

I tend to get annoyed when a doll that reaches out and grabs me is a limited edition, but that's just the way the world works sometimes. I can never tell where that lightning is going to strike. But I don't value dolls more or less because I had to jump through more or less hoops to get them.

Marcia.

7. Even so, this is something I would absolutely LOVE to see happen. Instead of making the sculpts limited, it'd be so much better if there were just limited faceups and outfits. Like, in this case, Yo-SD Suzuna standard, but a limited Suzuna would have a faceup by a skilled customizer and a nice outfit. Pretty much like Luts's Art Delfs. There would still be limiteds, but I think the heartbreak wouldn't be nearly as bad if you just missed out on an outfit rather than the doll itself.

8. YoSDs don't come with outfits ;)

9. Yes and no... I mean, I treasure anything that I have to really work at to get, and in the beginning, SDs weren't easy to get. That said, being hard to get didn't stop me from selling my first. :sweat

But my favorite doll is my plain old run-of-the-mill SD13 Syo, Elliot... he wasn't particularly hard to get, I didn't have to jump through any hoops or anything for him. I saw, I bid, I won, he arrived. Come to think of it, he was the easiest Volks doll I've ever procured. ^^

10. Thank you! That is wonderful and so generous of you to share.

Is Dolpa just a short form for Doll Party?

11. I don't value a bjd more if it's hard to get. If it's too hard to get, then I don't want to be bothered with trying. However, if it is only going to maybe be a little bit difficult to get then I'll try my hardest to get it.

12. Yes, Dolpa is short for Doll Party or Doll's Party (I've seen both).

Secondly, if I could get my all time dream doll, (of course, she's limited!) I think I would treasure her differently because I don't really think I'll ever get her. That would make me look at her differently. However, almost every doll I like with the exception of '05 Juri and my dream girl Jun Tachibana, are just standards. I guess I'm lucky that way. Still, I don't think I'd love Jun more than my others, just differently because I'd feel lucky to have gotten her and it would take forever to save for her, so I'd have more time to anticipate her. :)

13. No. I love my dolls regardless of rarity. I do, however, tend to be more careful around the face ups if I really like it and it is a limited.

14. I think I value my first doll the most and she is standard. But there is something fun about limited dolls. The chase of trying to get them, feeling lucky when you won, knowing there are only so many in the world etc. Still I know I'll keep buying both limited and non-limited dolls.

15. I don't care if a doll is limited or not, its all about the headmold for me. :) I happen to be fond of Volks' sculpts though, and Volks makes lot of LE's. My first and most treasured doll, though, is a standard Nono. :aheartbea

And of all the LE's I have, only one was bought on the secondary market! If you pay attention to the appropriate news/discussion threads around Dolpa time, it really isn't that hard to get one of their LE's from the USA lottery or the international after event. Sure, sometimes a doll will be super popular and hard to get (like Kurumi this Dolpa), but of all the regular LE's they've released in the past several Dolpas most could have been obtained fairly easily for about retail price. ^_^ Heck, even this Dolpa most of the people who put in for the Yo-SD's in the Volks USA lottery got them!

16. I pick a doll on the sculpt itself if i don't like the sculpt i don't want the doll no matter how special and limited people will rave it is.

and yeah i think companies whose claim to fame seems to be their limiteds and how exclusive owning one of their dolls are turn me off from really ever wanting one. I look and go 'that's pretty' and move on.

Quite frankly why jump through the hoops the company has set up when the there is so many other beautiful dolls companies that don't do that.
      My dolls will be one of a kind in the fact that they are mine and they have a personality i've given to them that isn't the personality of that doll over there or there.

17. I meant hypothetically, in that IMHO that's what they should do. Standard, unlimited, naked Yo-SD, Yuki, Olivia, Tsukasa, Cecile, Elf El, Breakaway, Woosoo, whatever, and limiteds with special clothes and makeup, like Luts's Delf Arts.

18. For some reason I always end up falling for the dolls that are LE or super hard to find. :doh But I care more about really likeing the way a doll looks vs Super LE status.

I've just about given up on another doll line because almost all the dolls are LE and they end up on ebay for 3x the asking prices. Not that I have anything against sellers who are trying to make a profit.

I was really lucky when I was able to get the last SD Carol on Volks Inc, and just about tossed my cookies when my CC turned down the charge because they thought someone in Japan was trying to use my card.

Someone at Volks marked it as paid, and because it would have been fraud they had me cancel my order and reorder fast.. BEFORE someone else came along and bought her. :ablah:

I've always wanted a Custom House AI doll, but was heartbroken because the little pink haired one sold so fast. I really want one of their tan girls so very much. :love

19. I guess my opinion depends on which "value" is being talked about. If I absolutely fell in love with a limited or hard-to-find sculpt and really felt I had to have it, then I would probably consider it "more valuable" in terms of the money I'd spend buying it and the time I'd spend looking for it. But as far as emotional-type value goes, I look at sculpts, not rarity. For instance, Woosoo, a sculpt that a lot of people are dying to own, isn't that interesting to me, because I simply don't feel that "pull" when I look at it.

All three of my boys are standard sculpts, and I absolutely adore them. A limited, though I might be a bit more careful with it, would just be another one of the crew-- beloved, but not based on the fact that there are only X many of them in the world. :)

20. There's nothing that dictates you have to keep a limited doll pristine and NRFB. 99% of what makes a limited, well, limited is the mold.

I have a Volks Jun Tachibana. She's fairly limited. First thing I did when I got her was sand down her nose. ^_^ You do what makes you happy. Provided you don't hack off pieces of the head, chances are you'll be able to recoup what you put in, should you decide to sell.