1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you value a BJD more if it is hard to get?

Jan 11, 2007

1. I would have to say that in general I flock towards the dolls that are more readily availible. I often feel that if it's too much trouble, it's not meant to be. However when a doll strikes my fancy, as in, "I have to get that or nothing else," then I'm willing to go through the extra hoops, run the extra distance, swim the extra mile, pay the extra money, etc, etc, etc. So I guess all in all it just depends on what the doll is and whether they're worth it to me.

2. Nope. My two most favorite dolls out of my hoarde are both inexpensive, common dolls (Lilica and Soah). I'd sooner sell my One-Offs then either of them, because of who they are to me.

3. It depends how hard to get it is. If it's just hard to get, but possible- then yes, I'll probably be even more drawn to it, because it has this sense of exclusivity and uniqueness.
      But if it's *impossible8 to get, then it'll just bum me out to see and I'll stay away from it to prevent further heartbreak :P

4. I think even if its a normal doll, every doll will have their own unique character under different owners. Making these 'common' dolls very desirable and special as well. :)

5. That's kind of a hard question. I hate to say it but in general I suppose I like the harder to find dolls and was a teeny bit upset when the second edition Shiro came out because I felt my Shiro lost value if I ever wanted to sell him (which I don't) but I was happy that all the Shiro-lovers got a doll they've wanted for a while. I do like a lot more of the limiteds that come out rather than the standards because of the attention to their make-up, wigs, and clothing that I don't feel the standards quite have.

But I also think it has something to do with the emotions involved with the doll. I have a yo-tenshi Yuki which I am not as attached to as I am to my standard Nana probably because my Nana was my first BJD and I have had her for 3+ years now and I haven't had my yo for very long. However I know that Nana as a standard is worth far less than a yo-tenshi but I would never get rid of her.

So I guess it all depends upon who has the doll and what value they place upon them....

6. Depends on how difficult it's to get.

7. I have one limited and one not, and I love them equally but for different reasons.

But if I had to choose one of them (like in a fire or something) then I would go for my limited, because she'd be much harder and more expensive to replace. But that's just common sense, and I hope I'd never have to do that :sweat

Personally, I try to stay clear of limiteds because I don't want to be disappointed. The one I have just happened to be available when I had money, so I let myself fall in love!

8. I know that people who collect because they want collectable items do that for sure. However, I also know that some of the rarer ones are also very gorgeous. Not only that, but if you fall in love with a rare doll and can't get hold of it, it can be very frustrating. If you're lucky enough to get the doll eventually, it makes the whole process even more special - so the hardly-sought doll probably becomes the favourite.

At least, I bet that's how it would be with me! I know I've already been frustrated hunting for a limited edition doll.

9. I can see how people would enjoy the chase of limited or highly sought after doll, but to me it doesn't really affect how I enjoy the doll.

My Elf Kirill Aster is my only limited, and when I think about him or fawn over him, I definitely don't think about the insanity that followed his release, or how I barely got him from Dream of Doll. I just think that he's such a pretty doll and so perfectly suited to his character. ^-^;

10. No - although I love some of the limited dolls it is not a priority for me.

11. No, rarity does not affect my appreciation of a doll. I love my Lishes most of all. With other types of dolls, rarity and increasing value actually hindered my ability to enjoy a doll, ie "she's worth so much now, can't play with her because it might devalue her." Happily, I don't feel that way with my bjds. They are so engaging, I don't think about their monetary value. That being said, there is a limit to what I will pay for a rare doll. I'd love a Bermann, but I'm not going to pay thousands for him. If I did, the guilt would erode my pleasure in him. So, I'll have to admire him in pictures, and make my last pitch when Anu posts the final group of Bermanns.

12. I also won't chase a hard-to-get doll. But I'm lucky and have managed to get some rare-ish dolls pretty easily.

I don't care for my rarer dolls more. I like what I like and that's what matters, rare or common. :)

13. no. I may be more 'careful' with the doll, but i love them all the same (^_^)

14. I have to say that I feel if the sculpt draws me, then I'd want the doll, but not because of the sole reason that it's limited.

Personally, I have to say that Bermanns are damned lovely, but I'm not going to go through that kind of hell just to get one.

I went through hell and back to get my Little Leroi, and I probably won't ever sell him, even though I've discovered that the sculpt doesn't quite suit his personality T_T I'll use him for a different character.

And that's for an unlimited doll! The company was just (and still is) a horrible company to deal with, not comunicating for months on end, and needing it's customers to threaten them with legal action just to get the doll that they paid for.
      But, having said that, he's still very special to me, and is probably going to be rare because of Mythdoll's recent buisness practices.
      However, because of that hell that I went through, I still find that I've got a bit of resentment towards him because of it. It's a bit of a double-edged sword for me.

I have to agree with what somebody else said: if they could just make Limited dolls ones that had "Limited face-ups" and "Limited clothes" rather then limited sculpts, I'd be much happier. It's really not fair to the people like myself who have limited financial resources, and can't just up and buy an expensive thing such as a BJD all of a sudden.

15. If I fall in love with a doll, I value it. Even if it's hard to get. But I do not want a limited 'because he's limited'. If it's really, really love, I'd go trough hell to get one... thankfully I'm not in love with a Bermann :sweat

16. To me it wouldn't matter if the doll were to be "limited" or hard to get, I look at getting bjd's based on what they look like and what I prefer. If a limited doll doesn't appeal to me, I wouldn't dream of getting one, and even if it was really pretty to me, I probably wouldn't get one because they tend to be more expensive, and I don't have a whole bunch of money to spend, and plys so many people would be pining after them.

17. Hrm...to me it really depends. I'm not going to go after a "rare" doll just because it's labeled that. If I don't like the doll itself, regardless of how limited it may be, I have no desire whatsoever to try and buy it. What I feel matters most is whether I like the doll or not. I'll worry about price and rarity later.

18. I don't think I could value a limited doll more than an unlimited doll, does this sound stupid? I only care about their "personality" or facial structure, right now even though I seem to be almost obsessed with a model that's hard to find/almost doesn't exist anymore, it's because I like the style, not because it's hard to get. I think with a hobby this expensive, that unless you're super rich, it's hard to like something just because it's rare, especially if it doesn't "get along with you"......

19. No, I don't deliberately seek out one method of purchase vs. another... It's just my rotten luck to tend to be attracted to limited or HTF faces in the first place. ^^

But as long as I get the doll that I'm in love with, I don't care how rare/limited/hard-to-score it was. And I don't care what it takes to get that doll, either. I'll jump through the hoops! It's hardly rocket science. You enter a lottery via email, or you fill out a form online, or you save searches to run every day on eBay, or you contact a shopping-service, or you stalk the Marketplace, or you put up a lot of WTBs and answer a lot of FSs, or you set your alarm to get up when a sale starts in Korea-- and chances are that doll will eventually find its way to you. When your prize does arrive, it is very rewarding.

None of this effort is difficult, but you do have to want it. Shop hard or stay home.

20. I seem to be in the minority, but it does add spice for me if I know its a sculpt that harder to get/rarer. It's not the be-all/end-all, especially as most of the limiteds I have were actually extremely easy to get because they weren't popular :sweat. How I value each doll is kind of hard to say, because I go through moods in which this one or that one is my favourite.