1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want your doll to be popular or as long as you like it?

Jun 1, 2020

1. A doll being popular because it is just a nice, well sculpted, well crafted doll is one thing. Then I feel like the doll's popularity is very understandable, and lots of people live their dreams with it.
      But a doll being popular because a popular social media BJD guru posts it, and then people buying it because they do hope it will make their accounts more popular too, often imitating the style down to clothes, wig, face up artist - that just seems so pointless to me? All this effort just for more clicks. Then the next things comes along, and then what? Rinse and repeat? :huh?: Different strokes for different folks I guess.

2. I don't care for a popularity sculpt, or if others like my dolls. The main thing is that I love and that I'm happy with them. :)

3. I agree with other posters in saying that if you like the doll, it’s definitely worth the wait. I also agree that I’m not exactly one who is really connected to the popularity and that if I like a doll, I like a doll. I tend to be into the tinies side of the hobby so I don’t really have much experience with the bigger MSD and SD limited dolls that come out that people tend to go wild for, but I definitely understand the feeling because of some limited tinies! I think if you truly love the doll, waiting is the best thing you can do. :)

4. Some of my favorites aren't very popular. Some of the popular dolls I have aren't really my favorite. So I wou!dnt mind, I'd rather have a collection that I personally love.

5. Thankfully, my dolls aren’t mega popular. I would feel very uncomfortable to have a popular bjd. For example 20 limited world wide, or something similar. The pressure to keep it pristine (even if it IS my property) would bother me, plus so many other good people missed out and they probably wanted it more than me...nope, I won’t even consider that type of popular doll.

6. For me, aesthetics are a major deciding factor, and certain creators are more likely to make BJDs I enjoy. Most of the "popular" dolls I have aren't anymore, due to changing tastes or companies closing shop. This doesn't change my feelings towards my BJDs, because again, that wasn't the reason I bought them.

7. Hm, I don't really consider whether a doll is popular among the hobby when I buy dolls. It's really confusing to me which dolls get popular and which don't, which is just to say it's kinda random and things come and go, and it's too hard to try and keep track of all that. :sweat

8. I have never once bought a bjd based on popularity, and never would. I buy dolls because I love them and that's what matters to me.

9. Precisely! And of course there is the natural attraction that comes with exposure; that which is familiar becomes comfortable. I find that meet-ups and conventions are an excellent outlet for exposing oneself to a large quantity of diverse styles and sculpts. Obviously that may be a challenge in the current global environment, but I do heartily recommend it for the future.

10. Oh dear, I like illusion garden dolls as much as you do, but now I can't buy him in China, and no one sells it in the secondary market, even if someone sells it for two or three times the price. I'm very depressed.

11. I don't consider resale when I buy a doll. Personally a doll being unpopular doesn't sway me at all, I'm kind of the opposite. If a doll is TOO popular I get tired of seeing it everywhere and don't feel like it's my own unique character but rather "X type of doll #48203."

12. I've built this collection FOR ME, not for the audience in the peanut gallery... So, I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my dolls. I didn't buy them to please anyone but myself. Rare or popular with the hobby at large doesn't come into it.

13. This is an interesting topic! I started to analyze myself and it’s seems that I got my dolls for different reasons; Most of them are popular (or at least their manufacturer is) but I was attracted due to its engineering and pose-ability. Others are just sculpt that I was attracted to due to their uniqueness in their body shapes.

I notice that I’m drawn to sculpts with fuller lips and gentle aura: Lillycat Cerisedolls Lilas, Unoa Lusis, Fairyland Rheia and Ria and Switch Ryun:R and Ryuzo. There’s a sculpt that I have been fascinated by since getting into this hobby but I never found out her name nor the company that made her. She’s on an EBay post about a wig.

I understand that there are people that buys their sculpt due to its popularity; however, it’s better to buy a sculpt that you personally love. If you just do it because it’s trendy, you may never be able to connect with the doll.

14. I will, and I'm starting to do it now. I'm starting to pay attention to more styles of dolls, which weakens my love for previously popular dolls. I think my love may be a love that follows the popular trend. I will continue to wait patiently, and then look at more dolls. Sometimes time is a good thing to test things. If I still like it for a long time, I think it should be a real love.

15. They are harder to find in China because I believe a certain group of individuals have been scalping prices on purpose and engaging in behaviour such as sending 6~9 emails when an order opens…
      so far I've just admitted defeat and paid up. sad but what to do

16. Yes, as far as I know, many people who don't like illusion garden dolls will also send a lot of emails to order. Once the order is successful, they will sell it on the second-hand website for two or three times the price. Their purpose is just to make money, but those of us who really like it can't buy it. Are you from China, too?

17. Well, it's convenient to have a doll that is popular because it's way easier to shop for and there are usually a lot more photos online available to show off different aspects of the sculpt.
      But aside from that, I couldn't care less if the doll I'm interested in is popular or not.

Coincidentally my favorite doll sculpts are all from Volks :lol: So while I'm drawn to this popular brand and appreciate that they even have their own clothing line for every one of their doll sizes, their popularity has never been a factor when I wanted to purchase a new doll.

18. I couldn't care less whether a doll is popular or not. If I like them then I like them. There might be a thousand others just like it but this one will be mine and that is what makes them special. Same goes the other way around. The doll might be especially disliked but they'll always be precious and special to me.

Don't let others dictate your taste. The words 'limited' and 'special edition' are just invented to make people impulse buy due to their fear of missing out.

After all, if you think about it, every doll with a custom outfit or face-up is a special edition in my eyes and they're all one-of-a-kind.

19. Ah, you see very thoroughly, I think you must be very happy to play with dolls, because you will not be swayed by the outside world.

20. I’d like my favorite doll to be more popular simply so I could see different faceup styles. So far the majority that own her keep the company faceup and I’ve only found maybe 6 unique looking ones.