1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you write a dolly budget?

May 5, 2016

1. Every January I plan a doll budget for the year. I have never been able to stick with it. Something too tempting always comes along.

2. Oh to have the will power to stick to a budget! I try really hard to resist, but end up going over any limit that i set myself - but always within reason to what i know we can afford. I do have to factor in selling dolls to fund new ones, so in that respect i have a budget of sorts - well at least that is what i tell myself!

3. Yeah. -___- I went over the limit on mine already, but I've been reminding myself of it daily so that I don't make any more doll purchases. It's way too easy to impulsively hit "buy" on something!

4. I loosely budget for like no more than one doll a year. I usually go over budget on eyes. >_> $25 eyes really build up but I'm not sure if I will save any money learning to cast my own. A lot of my dolls have super specific needs for small pupil/iris since they are more realistic and don't need the doe-eyed big iris look.

5. i keep track of all my dolly-related purchases on a google spreadsheet! i got my first doll recently, so i didn't have a set budget since i wasn't sure how much everything would cost including faceup stuff and all the miscellaneous dolly care items. now that i have a better idea of how much i might be spending, i may have a loose budget for every doll? but i think for me it's more important to record my purchases. seeing how much i've already spent is a much better deterrent from spending more than an actual budget figure LOL :>

6. Yep, I write down everything that I've spent and will spend for this hobby. I have a yearly limit for my spending. I just don't want to go over budget so I was being really careful with what I've bought so far. I set monthly limit and it worked well to keep my wallet save.

7. It seems like when I set out to write a dolly budget, something more important needs the money... but I do try to. Two of my guys came to me due to a surprise windfall allowing me to make the order.

Once I'm settled after the move, though, I hope to get a budget set up to save for my next, though.

8. I always try to plan my expenses, but I usually fail to follow them. xD I often act on the spur of the moment, when - for example - a limited edition of particular doll comes out, or there's a chance to buy specific doll second-hand.

9. yup ^-^ i pay my bills put a set amount into savings and then a set percentage of what is left goes into my dolly funds ^-^ and i have a spread sheet set up with the dolls and items i am saving up for with how much money i have saved up for each item ^-^ it makes me really happy every time i can add another bit into the spread sheet ^-^ and really really happy once i have enough in my little colum to go get my new little resin pall^-^
      i've always been the kind to make spread sheets for my funds and what not sicne beyond BJD i also have a lot of other hobbies including painting and drawing and digital art and cosplay ^^; so i've always had to keep an eye on my financed to allow myself to participate in my hobbies without braking the bank ^^;

10. I don't have a "just for dolls" budget, no... but like a few others up-thread, I do have a separate 'Fun Money' account that I set aside specifically for hobby/non-essential purchases. Kitchen and camera gear, books, new games, gardening stuff, doll stuff, new music, shells and fossils, sewing stuff... it all comes out of that same stash. It's a good way to keep from over-spending.

11. Um..... No. Generally, if I found the doll is pretty, I would buy it.

12. Sort of, but I didn't write anything down. I just ordered my first doll and put her on layaway; my process was looking at my bank account, looking at my calendar, marking when I get paid, and figuring out when it would work for me to make payments. I imagined I might do more written down, in-depth budgeting if I get another one. I'll admit this one was a tad impulsive, since I only found her a week ago or so.

13. It's SO difficult to budget when your favorite BJD company comes out with a surprise limited release!!

Linda S.
      galatia9

14. I'm with you! I have an "anything-I-want" budget every month (a self-imposed allowance) and I fund all of my hobbies and non-essential purchases out of it.

I do let myself roll overages from one month to the next. So this month, when I kinda sorta accidentally bought an unplanned doll and overspent my budget, I have to roll it onto November's numbers. But I have to make it up next month by NOT spending!

15. I don't have one as of now but I would like to plan one. Im in college so many is tight but if I saved money properly, I could either get doll clothes and accessories or save up for a new doll. It would be fun too because I like the feeling of saving up for something and finally getting it. So a doll budget plan will be written out soon!:thumbup

16. Yes. I've written a savings budget and I've been able to stick to it thus far. I'm praying I won't weaken for another doll on my wishlist at the halfway mark.

17. No, I'm too scared to do one....ignorance is bliss. If I actually saw how much I have spent or will spend, I would not be able to justify this expensive hobby. BJD's are my only vice, I have given up everything else for them! I do save, and won't go into debt.

18. My dolly budget is basically the same as my doll plans, but I suppose I also consider it a 'budget' since I list down and calculate all of the expenses needed to purchase said dolls. After the main purchases, I don't really keep track of my purchases anymore.

19. At the moment the only money I spend for fun is money that I gain from doing extra work. I make that money for the purpose of spending it, so I always know how much I'm allowed to spend. Really I just keep adding or subtracting from the amount I write down, I don't have detailed spreadsheets or anything! Still that is my doll budget at the moment, as I want dolls and related objects the most right now! xD

20. I definitely budget for every doll I want, if I can not do it I don't. I go to the next one on the list and see if that fits into my budget, its good if it does. :) Just my opinion.