1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your families know the cost of / support your dolls?

Mar 13, 2020

1. I’m really glad this topic was opened up again because I love to see all of these different perspectives. I think something we can all agree on is that the creativity and artistry that goes into these dolls are amazing and worth every penny from 100-1000! I totally agree they’re pretty pricey but art is a luxury after all :3nodding: From supportive spouses, to sisters who really can’t be bothered, and dolls becoming a part of the family, you all are really awesome and this is a wonderful hobby :hug:

2. My parents recently helped me go halfsies on buying a Nintendo Switch which ended up being around $500 at that time because of difficulty finding one in stores. So I think if they'll help me waste money on video games, they'll likely be open to anything within that price range coming into the house as long as they don't have to lend me any money! XD They tend not to criticize my purchases in general so I am lucky to have a supportive Team Me. For sure dolls are expenssssive though, I am looking at a very long term savings project for a Dollfie, even longer if FairyLand starts selling Feeple65 Siean's again... But I'm definitely going to try and save up.

3. I am still relatively new to purchasing BJD's but I've showed my mom, she thinks I'm ridiculous and they're overpriced, I haven't explained sizes and all of those things to her - tbh, I don't think she'd pay attention. My older sister, also, thinks they're a waste of money and she constantly reminds me of things I should be focusing on instead..but she had bought me a doll for my birthday, that I'm currently waiting on.

4. It’s definitely a shock, I don’t think my mom still entirely understands herself. All I had to do was mention it’s an art thing to my dad and he knows how artistic value works. It probably helped that I collect nendoroids and such so it’s not surprising for me to spend a bit more for a doll

5. I was 19 when I got my first doll, my parents were a bit shocked by the price but I paid for it with my part time job and I've never really been the type to spend money on nights out and such. I'm 34 now and they're well used to it, my dad likes a lot of arts and crafts so they appreciate the creativity involved.

My partner also has bjd so no problems there!

6. Oh man I mentioned that I had bought a new doll to my sister the other day and she did not have an ideal reaction ahaha. Not negative per se. But not at all impressed at me buying a fourth doll. Haven't mentioned it to my mom yet. I think my family knows its expensive, but not sure of the exact figures. I may have told them a few years back but doubt they remember haha.

Personally I find this hobby to be very expensive and difficult to justify. So I don’t really expect my family to approve of the cost. The cost really makes me reconsider buying any more dolls.

That being said they aren’t negative about it and I think they are sometimes intrigued when I create something for my dolls. My mom even put one of my fav photos of Jewel on my birthday cake :lol:

7. it’s still difficult for me to justify buying something for my hobbies even though it’s with my own earned spending money. Theoretically, I can afford them, but I’m constantly in the mindset that I have savings that money can go to. I just remind myself that it’s something I enjoy and shouldn’t be ashamed of using my money for as long as I don’t get anything I can’t afford

edit: quoting on mobile created an amalgamation of comments and frankencreated a monster, deleted the quote monster

8. For me it's kind of like, "Well yes but no." They don't have any issue with dolls. They just don't like me spending the money. I don't have a whole lot going on for me in my life right now, and the dolls make me happy. So I just shrug it off. :XD:

9. Everyone in the family has at least one of their own, so... yup. Our mom didn't think she'd join in, but now she's got a tiny with a little room box, a wardrobe, props, a pet... she was feeling the sticker shock when I bought Pete and Billy, but now she gets it. Some people spend a lot of money on travel, or on entertainment like games/movies, or buying loads of yarn... the doll hobby is just a different thing to spend your money on.

10. I only live with my partner since I have 0 contact with my family (they were horribly toxic) and he knows the prices fully since he's made me a few doll gifts himself. We are both artists so we understand why the dolls are as expensive as they are and don't mind spending on our joined bjd family ♥️

11. My husband is very aware and does support my smaller purchases very often, even going so far as to telling me to order a doll or asking why I haven’t ordered the one I’ve been staring at for a while. That being said I think it’s the larger purchase tags that he’s not too fond of. I can understand where he’s coming from on that, as some dolls really do cost a lot when you’re a tiny collector! He’s overall extremely supportive though and often is my voice of reason when it comes to a budget because I get a bit resin crazed at times. :sweat

12. My parents know but have never approved of spending that much money on anything (not even vacations).
      Luckily, my sister and my husband, who are the ones whose opinion matter to me and the ones who are closer to me, are very supportive and they have their own hobbies in which they spend their own money so we understand each other.
      I feel so grateful for having them around cause they give me their opinion if I ask them about things I want to buy and they have proved to know me better than anyone at that ^w^

13. In family only my mom know about it. She just get her own tiny today. And some friends who are not judging me.

14. My Fiance is pretty supportive, but they do scare him a bit, and he hates the idea of the price and potential clutter. To him it's a case of if something makes me happy and I'm not being irresponsible then he's happy for me. He also does understand why the prices are how they are.

My parents not so much, they think adults shouldn't really buy anything that doesn't serve an immediate obvious purpose especially if it could even maybe be interpretted as being for kids, after I hit 11 or so they started to complain every single time I'd use my own money on anything that wasn't obviously "for adults" or "practical". They know BJDs are for adults, but they still just think it's a waste, especially at that price. It's one of those "it is what it is" things though, I never had my parents approval so I just never expect to get it and just enjoy my hobby anyway, it's for me, not them.

15. I don't really talk about my dolls with my family. I've always in some way or another had dolls (the biggest present my mom got me growing up was when she was finally in a position and she was able to buy me a porcelain doll--to replace one we lost when we escaped my dad & that abusive situation)... but I don't talk about money with my family either. That's a whole other issue.

However! The person who is about as close to a significant other as I get... has been engaging me with talking about my dolls now for the last few months and they are surprisingly supportive. I think because they see how happy/creative I get with them, even if I don't always recognize it. I am more self-conscious about the costs than they are in judging that issue (they don't really judge at all)--but I judge myself haha

But as long as I am not asking for money from others and I am funding it myself, I don't beat myself up. I think being mindful of my spending is good, as long as I mind my own boundaries. But yeah... I think I worry about it more than anyone I know who knows about what I collect.

16. That is my dad's view on anything after I turned 12. Stuffed toys and others were for children. But for some reason he seems to support my dollhouse restoration project, that I started in my mid 20s.

Nobody knows about my interest in BJds apart from one friend I mentioned it to as he was talking about his hobby he collects for. He did seem to find it a bit strange but accepted it as it is "very" me.
      I am not sure if I will ever tell my mum and Dad that I want and will collect BJD dolls as I just know they will not approve. More because of the cost and waste of money. At my age I should be saving for a house and pension Lol
      But it makes me happy so I don't mind if they don't accept it.

17. it's funny My mother had to correct me on the price of my BJD, (I had forgotten how much I'd paid for the outfit) she knew Medusa couldn't be a mere 400$, stating that my sisters dolls were much more expensive.

18. My husband knows and does not care as long as our bills are paid. My dad and his girlfriend think my dolls cost around $100 and my dad doesn't care, he is a live and let live kind of guy, his girlfriend on the other hand will make comments about how she would rather save that money for retirement than on dolls but says it in a snotty way. I think it is funny because she spends MORE than what she thinks I spend on dolls eating out at fancy restaurants in one sitting and they eat out several times a week, so do the math on that one! I can get my money back if I wanted to sell my dolls, she can't get back what she ate and drank, but some people just like to judge.

19. My parents always know that I love dolls. I have shown my mom one boy once, she was shocked at his size and curious about his gender :aeyepop:. Luckily I live in my own apartment and in a separate city from my parents, they don't know the number of boys I have and all the cost....:cool:

20. My parents have no issue with my dolls or any of the other things I collect. My mom even likes my pictures on instagram (it’s only dolls). They know the dolls are expensive but I buy them with my own money anyway. They say as long as I’m happy, they don’t care if I’m using my money for this or that anyway. I’m not sure they know how many I have though, we live literally in opposite sides of the world and they have never seen any of them in person.
      I live by myself and my hole house is full of dolls, games and snowboarding stuff. Pretty much my hidden paradise. No one to complain or tell me anything.