1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your families know the cost of / support your dolls?

Mar 13, 2020

1. I'm so happy that your family is so supportive:)
      I definitely wouldn't want to tell mine about the cost involved lol
      Even though I support myself they tend to have an opinion about money.
      They know about the hobby and don't really care too much at this stage.

2. My mom knows, but she’s definitely not supportive haha. She just has a problem with the idea of collecting anything tbh, be it dolls or anything else. She doesn’t see the point in things like that, but she’s stopped making such an issue out of it (for the most part, sometimes she makes comments here and there though). My dad doesn’t know and he never will because he honestly would probably make me get rid of them...I love my parents a great deal and we are close but they don’t really get these sorts of things since it’s so out of the norm to them. My sister knows and even though she’s not really interested I would say she’s relatively supportive. I’d never tell any of them the costs of dolls tho, at most they would think it’s a couple hundred but, if they knew of my recent purchase....they’d think I was insane :sweat My best friend has always been really supportive even though she’s not into dolls herself, and she counts as my family to me, so I feel I’m lucky to have her ^^ She thinks the dolls I show her are beautiful even if she wouldn’t own one herself~

3. My parents and siblings all know. Actually my mom used to make her own clay/porcelain dolls when she was my age. She also loves sewing so she likes that I want to make clothes for them. It didn't come as a shock for any of them that I bought a BJD, since I started somewhat collecting barbies about 2 years ago. My sister finds my bjd very creepy (though she found her with no eyes and face up xD).
      My BF doesn't really mind, he's glad I found a hobby that I like and that brings me joy. The only person struggling with spending these amounts of money is me, though I am saving up for my first new BJD (just found out my first actualy BJD is a recast, so now saving for a legit). Though it's kind of weird, since I do spend money on LARP.

4. My mom and sister are doll-lovers themselves, and even my dad appreciates them. Mom didn’t want me spending that much on a doll in high school, but once I was an adult, she just shrugged and said, “As long as you can pay your bills!”

(Good thing, too, because then I got more into antique dolls- which can venture into “dip into savings account” territory now and then. :sweat)

5. My parents don't know that I've returned to the hobby, but when I was active as a teen they thought it was very weird and expensive, although they never tried to stop me from collecting since I mostly used my own money (except when I asked for dolls/doll things for my birthday or Christmas). I imagine they'll have the same sort of "weird but okay..." reaction as before, though my dad seems secretly to think I should put all my disposable income into retirement.

I have no memory whatsoever of my older brother having any opinion on my dolls, but we didn't get along well back then so he probably never commented on them. I'm sure he'd be chill about it if I brought them up these days. He collects his own weird stuff so he's got no room to judge what I collect.

My partner is trying his best to get over the sticker shock - he has trouble justifying buying himself a book after 3 months of deliberation, so spending $300+ on a doll is a wild concept to him - but he's very supportive of me buying them as long as I'm not spending my rent/bills/food money. I was getting incredibly depressed during quarantine but getting back into dolls has really, really improved my mental health and he seems incredibly relieved.

6. Every now and then I hear "oh you'll spend over $100 on a doll but you won't buy (stuff over $300)?", but for the most part everyone's chill with it.

7. Before I start collect doll I played figma, my patents know my habit is quiet expensive, I guess my mom think my doll is same price like thouse figma I had.

8. My parents supported me for my first two BJDs, and they have been very supportive all these years, always waiting for me to take pictures of the dolls when we were all out together (They sometimes got into the pictures too lol.) Even now my dad's helping me making doll stuff purchases oversea since he lives there now lol

9. No and yes, in that order, for that reason :sweat im an adult so they don't get any say in my money, but they'd definitelly disapprove of my doll spending, but they support the creative outlet

10. My husband and children are very supportive. They know how much my doll cost. Husband is the one who bought my first bjd (luts bory) and since, he bought me 4 more. I have more than 20 bjds. I love to play with them, taking pictures, making outfits, wigs and jewelry for them. I’m lucky that my family understand my hobby, knowing that it’s good for my mental health. After paying the bills and my children needs, I think I have the right to spend some of my own money to buy the things I love

11. I understate the amount too, like some people in this thread. My family doesn't mind my dolls, but I don't want to shock them. But my boyfriend is aware of all prices and he is also in this hobby.

12. My mother and my brother know how expensive it can be, but I wouldn't share this with cousins or my father, cause then you'd just get lectures about your money that you personally earned.

13. My parents know about my dolls, and even though I never told them how much I really spend on them, they have a general idea of their worth.
      While my dad doesn’t really mind them, my mom has actually become fairly supportive since I introduced her to the characters my dolls represent and the stories I write or draw about them. I just ordered a new doll and explained to her which character it was for and the props and clothes I wanted to make for him, and now she’s as excited as I am to receive him. Yesterday she even offered to teach me how to sew in order to reproduce the outfits I draw, so I’m glad I can share this with her.

14. My first doll was an anniversary gift from my partner, so he's fairly supportive. He's both a collector (of other things) and a home chef so he understands about buying quality goods to support a hobby. He just doesn't care for most doll aesthetics, they're too bland/decorative for his taste. He'd probably enjoy art dolls more if he saw them. My family are mostly quiet about my collecting but they've never been supportive of hobbies that cost $$. Growing up the emphasis was on thriftiness and we got the majority of our things secondhand. Now that my parents are finally financially stable themselves, they're more interested in hobbies that are pricey (like travelling) but still think buying expensive objects is a waste. I don't discuss prices with them for obvious reasons but whenever they ask I make sure to point out that almost all my dolls are secondhand. Sometimes I get the impression that my mum and sister (who both loved Barbies) would like this hobby more if it wasn't for sticker shock. My sister mods OT dolls and paints minis and my mum has a vintage Barbie like her childhood one so maybe some day...

15. My boyfriend knows about my hobby, and how costly it is. He knows I only ever get them when we arent having trouble, but if we are even if it hurts I would be willing to rehome them if it would help us. I've shown him how much they cost and how much people actually charge for making items for them. Once he realized it could benefit us, he became alot more accepting, especially after seeing how much they mean to me

16. My family isn't supportive at all. Only my mum knows the cost and she still can't get over the sticker shock! Everyone else thinks all dolls, but especially ones like BJDs, are creepy. So they pretend Ichigo doesn't exist. He's perfect, so their loss, haha.

No biggie. More dolls for me. >;)

17. My family and friends are both supportive but I will take it to the grave before they know how much money I spent on my dolls. :eusa_naug I always say “expensive-ish!” and leave it at that hahaha

18. they dont know quite how expensive.. they know basically "over $300" and i dare not say how much more ive spent on even a single doll. of the hobby itself theyre quite supportive though!

19. I live by myself, but no one knows that I have dolls except my brother. He doesn't care because he also spends a lot of money on random things. I used to collect anime figures, so transitioning to dolls isn't really a big deal.

20. They're totally cool with it. Many of my family members also work in the arts like me (illustrators, designers, etc), so they get it. They buy expensive artworks too, albeit in different forms (paintings, prints, pottery, etc).