1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your families know the cost of / support your dolls?

Mar 13, 2020

1. They arent happy. My mom is the type of person who thinks that if you can buy 10 cheap things for the price of 1 high quality thing you should always go for quantity over quality... this thought has also made her a bit of a hoarder. When I told her I had my first doll on order and it was over $100 she flipped out saying how I could've bought x amount of barbies for the same price...

My dad is interested in my project dolls though, so thats nice :3nodding:

2. Wow thst is so nice. I have only told my daughter what i have paid for my dolls. I know the rest of my family would think im nuts.

4. My mum told me, whatever, since it is my money. But she continually brings me down for how much I have spent (I collect limited/rare heads). I try not to let it bother me, but it honestly takes the fun out.

5. I don't think my family know how much I have spent on my dolls. My mom knows the dollies are expensive but I never told her the exact price. I think it is very common in Asia that parents often consider spending money on hobbies a kind of "waste".

6. My parents are aware the dolls I bought are expensive, but they don’t know the exact price because it’s frankly none of their business. Even if they found out the cost, they wouldn’t say anything to me about it since they know I’m not the type of person to make a large purchase unless I’m positive I can comfortably afford it.

My brother has an idea of the exact cost and thinks it’s cool, since he’s of the “only drop cash if you really love something” mindset and he knows how much I’ve been wanting the dolls.

7. My husband knows and totally support me :) He knows I won't spend more than my doll budget, so he's totally ok with it! And he's happy I finally found a hobby that makes me happy! :dance
      I try not to speak about the financial part of the hobby with non-doll friends anymore, because I got some comments like "it's way too expensive for just a doll".
      My parents know that it's an expensive hobby but they also know that I'm good at keeping my budget so they don't really say anything about it :)

8. Hmm it's tricky because it's not like people in my life are unsupportive, they just don't necessarily get it if that makes sense. They're just not interested in dolls like I am but they are happy to see me happy.

9. Same here. They may not get ‘it’, but I have had a few who are really interested in asking me about my project ideas when we chat. I had a friend who said she was just happy that I was creating again after how down I have been this year (2020, amirite?).

10. My mum thinks it’s cool that my dolls are physical representations of characters I’ve created, probably because she’s a writer herself.

As for the cost, I haven’t really talked to her about it but I’m sure she’d be pretty shocked.

11. Everytime my mum asks how much things are I would just reply "Don't ask~" because I know she'll overreact hahahhaha. When I make a sale I'll tell her how much I've earned or recouped so she has this idea in her head now that it's a lucrative hobby. That helps to some extent.

12. Not too many members of my family know about my doll collecting. My dad for sure doesn't. My mom does but I don't tell her the price for them. But she could probably guess. My sister for sure knows because she's slowly getting into the hobby as well :) My two cousins have seen my dolls but I don't tell them exact cost. I typically don't disclose how much it costs.
      But my mom is supportive as in she lets me do what I want since I pay for it myself. My sister is supportive and just sighs sometimes when I end up making another doll-related purchase. But that's the extent of what my family knows and supports my hobby.

13. No one in my life knows what dolls cost (other than nebulous ‘she was a lot’ kind of prices). I like to keep it that way because I’m a student and I don’t want to be too overt about my finances—I only have this money cause my parents pay for my education, and I kept working. My friends and family do support me in the sense of taking an interest in my mod projects and accepting endless photo spam of dolls. My parents indirectly support it by paying my tuition and that’s the most support I’d be comfortable with.

14. my mom and brother have both seen one of my dolls but i doubt they thought of its cost and i didn't disclose it. xD i'm an adult, they don't concern themselves with how i spend my money for hobbies. they wouldn't recognize that it's such an expensive item just from looking at a doll.

i got my other sibling more into bjds. she bought one later so she's well aware of the costs haha.

15. My parents know all the prices, and they support me if the price are acceptable to them. A $2000 doll is not acceptable to them at all because they know I will spend a lot more for clothing, wig, eyes, plus I will spend so much mind on my dolls which will affect my study. The good things are my parents are spending A LOT of money on my education and are supporting me to reach my dream career. Although sometimes we have a different opinion towards how to spend money on "extra" hobbies, I am very thankful to their contribution for my future life.

16. My boyfriend and I met through designer fashion and he buys that stuff pretty regularly, so he actually thinks my dolls aren't that expensive (except for my 70cm Dollshe, that one made his eyes widen a bit :sweat). I'm lucky my family is okay with it. They think it's a bit odd but they support anything that gets me working with my hands and makes me happy <3

17. I would never let my families know my doll's ture price. Don't even think about that.

18. My fiancé knows how much they cost, and so do my parents, sisters and nana. I’ve never tried to hide from them, because I have no reason to. Sometimes one of them will mention that I should spend my money on something instead of a new doll, like a trip or going to the movies, or a theme park, or going out to eat, but that’s just because of their personal preferences; everyone except my dad and fiancé values experiences over material items.

they are VERY supportive of the creative part of the hobby, though. They all ask to see my dolls, their new faceups, clothes I may have made, art I’ve drawn of them. They see it as a really good outlet for me <3

19. My mom thinks they're a bit odd, but my dad thinks they're interesting.

20. Not really, but it is what it is.

#100 vivi_vibin, Dec 23, 2021
      Last edited: Dec 22, 2022