1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do your families know the cost of / support your dolls?

Mar 13, 2020

1. I know they'd tell me to not spend this much money on these kind of things. So I prefer to leave it out of their knowledge, I just say that it's expensive, they don't really ask.

2. It has been a long time since I asked for permission for any big expenditures for parents or partners.

I don't think my mum would quite understand how much dolls cost without fainting. But she does know they are expensive.

I am lucky to have a very supportive circle who when I was dithering over how expensive a fullset I wanted were like just get the doll. It was the AUD to USD conversion that really drove that price up.

3. My wife knows how much my dolls cost but I also know how much her dolls
      cost. A few years back she asked me "Do you really need another BJD?"
      So I asked her "Do you really need 23 Sashas?" We've happily not questioned
      the cost of any dolls since. :)

4. My children were the ones who bought me my first doll. I had been admiring them for over a year and they went together and bought me one for my 52nd birthday. That was over 8 years ago, and they still tell me, mom if you want it just buy it. They just tell me to keep receipts and values so if God forbid something happens to me they don't just donate them to the charity shop. ;)

5. Both of my parents are supportive toward my new hobby, sewing doll's clothes but they never know how much the doll cost. Growing up in an Asian family, spending too much money on hobbies is not a good thing... but hey, no one has to know LOL

My boyfriend though kind of know and is happy when he see me happy so.... I'm happy :celebrate

6. My mother knows they are expensive- she just doesn't realize HOW expensive they really are. ;)

7. My partner knows they’re expensive but he doesn’t know how much each dolls cost me. He never really asked.

8. Haha, this.

My parents know that they are expensive, but I've only ever told my sister the actual price. I'm not sure if she approves completely, but she doesn't mind as she knows that they make me happy.
      Also, any of my close friends that know that I collect bjds know that they're expensive, but I'm not sure if they realise much they actually cost.

9. Thankfully, My mom is one of the most supportive people in my life in relation to my doll hobby. She works at a thrift store and will go out of her way to always bring me doll clothes that she thinks might fit them, which I think is super sweet. She always compliments my faceups when I send her pictures of what they look like now as well. My SO tolerates them as long as they're displayed in my office only, but does find the price tag a little appalling.

10. I never disclosed the cost but they knew. :...( They knew the cost of dolls, all accessories and shipping cost (shipping cost is killing me, a lot). I keep telling myself, as long as I pay for all life's expenses, I am ok. But to be honest, I need to be careful and keep low profile for a while because I wanted to change job. I have such an expensive hobby but I am so happy and they bring a lot of joy!

11. My parents know they’re expensive, but I’ve never mentioned the exact prices of most of my collection. They got me a little Resinsoul girl for Christmas, so they’re definitely supportive :) That being said, I’m never telling my parents how expensive the boy I just paid off in January is. I think they might be a bit too shocked about that.

Several of my closest friends know the actual cost of many of my dolls. They all have their expensive hobbies as well, so none of them judge me for it even if they don’t specifically “get” BJDs.

12. My family doesn’t know the real price of the dolls, when I began in the hobby (7 years ago?) I got my first doll, a second hand it was really cheap, so I told them the real price and they think I was crazy spending that amount of money in dolls
      So when a new doll come home, I never tell them the real price

My friends are in the hobby so I don’t have to hide any cost from them :) and my boyfriend… well our relationship is younger than the time I have been in the Bjd hobby ;)

13. I used to show my mother the sculpts I liked the best and when I told her the price she almost fainted lmao Now I just play crazy :sneaky

14. My family really enjoys my dolls. When I was in school, they definitely knew how expensive they were, but honestly I’m not sure they’d have a clue now. My great grandmother collected dolls, so I’m sure they know my dolls are worth something.

I am planning on getting my cousin an off-topic vinyl doll and I’m sure they will be reminded of how expensive the hobby can be once they look up the company! I love getting dolls for teens since they helped me so much through hardships in the past, and hopefully I can share the love.

15. I was lucky to start buying dolls as an adult, so actually my parents would have nothing to say anyway, but I'm also lucky to have parents that always treated me like an independent person with my own choices, so they wouldn't really dare criticize something I'm passionate about. So yeah, they know that my dolls are expensive, but they told me themselves, jokingly, they don't want to know how expensive are they exactly, haha!
      My mom and sister though enjoy the pictures of dolls I send them, so that's really cool.
      As for my boyfriend, he's the one who talked me into ordering my first doll and he generally supports my hobby, has some ideas about technical issues and participates half passively, half actively in my doll passion, haha. He's okay with me spending that much on one doll unless I would start putting ALL ny money on it, so that's very reasonable, haha.
      I'm grateful to have such friendly surroundings towards my hobby c:

16. No, I would never admit how much they cost. My family isn't very interested in my dolls but I don't think they would be pleased if they knew how much I spend. They wouldn't "scold me" (because I'm a working adult) but they would definitely keep making various comments about how I could've saved that money or could've used it for something else.

17. I don't live with family, and the only family member who lives near enough to visit, is my middle brother. He has seen my dolls, but I have not told him what I've paid, and he doesn't ask. He's known about my doll collecting all the way back to my Barbie days, and doesn't say much except some good natured teasing.

I'm sure if he really thought about it, he could guess what my dolls cost, because he collects model cars and vintage musical instruments. I think his hobby is way more expensive.

The ONLY person who knows what I pay for dolls, is my friend Cory, because she has a couple of BJDs too.

18. That's a secret :chibi

19. My family and close friends knows how much they cost. They were surprised but not after we discussed what BJDs are about, how they are made and how customized they are. One of my friends wisely said: every hobby is expensive if you take it seriously. I couldn't agree with him more. Sports, collections, creative hobbies... The entry threshold might be different but if you start to get into it more actively, you'll need supplies, tools, etc.

It always shocks me how much people care about the cost of anything they are not even mean to buy. I mean, the question 'how much' is often asked BEFORE 'what is it'. Not only if we talk about dolls, but anything. Honestly, I don't care how much your whatever costs - especially not if we the acquaintance is superficial. And I am not comfortable to share how much my anything cost with strangers. When I try to avoid the question (like 'it depends') they keep on pushing.

Do you have similar experience? Do you have a good tip how to avoid this situation politely?

20. My partner does because he pays for them. I think friends and family would be shocked at the cost of artist dolls in general because they are unaware of the time and costs involved in making them.