1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does a lower Budget Force Creativity?

Jun 14, 2011

1. Instead of buying fabric I will sometime cut up old clothes I don't wear anymore to make clothes for my dolls. I also find going to the thrift store you can find some really nice materials to make clothes.

2. Not to sound like an old fart ("I had rocks for toys!"), but I grew up in the Soviet Union with very limited resources, and it has never been a deterrent. In fact, in middle school I made my own dollhouse with functioning electricity and plumbing from scraps. Lack of resources only inspires more creativity for me, making me find alternative ways to fulfill the vision. I recycle old clothes like there is no tomorrow, and am always on the lookout for interesting garbage. ;)

However, I will be the first to admit that having access to designer fabric stores and high quality professional art supplies takes the whole creative enterprise on a new level.

3. I think it does, like my art teacher said "from necessity comes creativity", if you have no money to buy your doll furniture/fancy clothes/accessories it'll force you to be more creative than if you had an infinite (or larger) budget for dolly spending

4. I don't think havig a lower budget FORCES people to be more creative. I do think it encourages it to some extent, though let's face it some people are creative and others are not.

I certainly think it encouraged me. I bought my first doll, then shortly afterwards was laid off from my job. My mother became ill about the same time, and asked me to move in with her to take care of her full time, which I did for several years until her death, during that time I had no income, but spent all my free time sewing doll clothes, ( but I have been a professional seamstress and my cloth stash is old enough to vote) and that first doll has probably thirty outfits. Now that I work full time at a decent job, I have a larger budget but less free time, and make less doll clothing. My newest doll, a Pipos Cheshire LE Mysterious has only the outfit he came in, poor little thing!

5. I don't think so...For me..I got into these dolls because I wanted to be creative, the fact I can't afford the fancy clothes I see on the websites kind of fuels my fire to make fine clothing for them. I learned how to pleat when I was I believe fifteen and was making ruffled lolita outfits ever since, including Wa-Lolita dresses. I sew to relax, I sew to keep busy. I also want to be creative, as a writer and artist I think I'd be an insult to myself if I didn't try. XD And I've gotten really good with sewing since I began when I was fourteen. When I was fourteen I wasn't the best but I got better and gradually learned all the tricks I needed. I don't even buy patterns, I make my own.

And now when I peruse Dollmore, Dollheart, I look at the outfits and think to myself: "How can I make it better for MY needs and for the same cost?"

Good example of this:

[​IMG]

My doll Kazumi's "Daughter of Evil" gown...I spent two hours straight, drafting, pinning, cutting, sewing, trying on, taking off, cinching, making little cuffs out of an old skirt ruffle for her wrists...And it was fun. I was so relaxed and went to sleep just after seeing it done and on her knowing I did possibly my best dress I ever made. Nothing I've made thus far has compared.

6. I also feel that budget plays a big role in this, i get creative to make stuff for my dolls.. because I cant afford buying those things

7. Oh yeah, definitely. I'm sitting here playing with polymer, trying out different eye making techniques I've seen just because I can't really afford to buy all my dolls the eyes I'd like for them to have. I've been pondering making shoes much for the same reason. I make most of their clothes, ditto. That's just how it has to be. I spend my money on resin and the odd wig. That's it.

8. I think it does. when you dont have a big budget you will try to create new things with other material which you already have instead of just counting down a few dollars and buy it online. But ja ofcourse sometimes there are things which you cannot make yourself and then you simply have to buy them, ahah

9. I almost think it makes you have to be MORE creative to find ways to overcome not being able to simply just buy what you want??

10. ^ This.
      I do have a limited budget, but my dolls are nowhere near low budget (i.e. Iple owns my soul).
      But yes, I do a lot with my dolls, that's for sure. I do their faceups (except for a MP one who came with a gorgeous company faceup) - and I probably wouldn't have dared to even try if I had had the money to throw at a professional for a custom faceup. I'm mighty glad I did have to try, though, because I'm not doing half as bad as I would have thought I would, if I do say so myself. (It helps that I'm not into dramatic faceups, but the very basic "dolls next door" look. I don't think I could do a fancy fantasy faceup just yet.)
      I sew their clothes - mostly because I love sewing and was planning to make their outfits from the start, and that way I can get whatever I need in whichever size I need it. I make stuff for them ... but I've always made a lot of stuff, I'm into LARP and used to making most of my equipment myself. I do have some bought pieces of furniture, but they're mostly re-purposed things or flea market finds. Everything else is self-made using mostly recycled materials (a storage sofa and table from a shoebox and coffee tin, a bed from a doll box) ... that kind of stuff. I already had quite a lot of crafting equip and a trusty sewing machine on hand when I got into BJDs, so all that really did save me a fair few bucks.

On the other hand, I've spent just about as much on crafting equip as I would have if I had, say, bought eyes instead of stacking up on materials and tools to make them myself. Same with wigs, I'm about to blow just as much money for mohair as I'd spend if I were to buy fiber wigs. So it's not strictly about money, either ... maybe in the long run (depending on how many more dolls I buy, how many fancy wigs I'll need if I ever get the hang of making them, and how many pairs of eyes I need to substitute), but certainly not now. :sweat

11. I don't think so. It can encourage someone, sure, but really creative people are going to be creative whether they have money or not, and the opposite is also true.

12. I think it's opposite way :) For me, low budget forces me to be more creative because I just can't get the right or finished material lightly. I have to create or find a way to use alternative one instead. Like using old (no more use) clothes to make doll's clothes, instead of buying new fabrics, etc... With low budget can still do something creative, I believe so.

13. I have a feeling that those who are creative will be creative regardless. Having no budget constraints will allow some people to create truly elaborate things for their dolls. However, for those who do have budget restraints (me included), I guess the constraint does force you think outside of the box a little bit. That would be considered as "encouraging" creativity, not exactly "force".

14. A lack of funds, and a lot of free time, has definitely encouraged me to sew most of my dolls clothes rather than buy them. However, when I do have money I will still only allow myself to buy things I can't make myself. So, I've bought some really nice detailed jeans and a few pairs of shoes and if I had more money I would probably buy other detailed outfits and accessories.