1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any doll you buy have to fit a story?

Sep 12, 2010

1. I'm having this big fantasy story thingy around my dolls, so I kinda look for the characters for the story.
      But the model is more important thing to me than "character that suits the story", because I need to like, no, LOVE the doll I'm getting. So if I have a doll I'd love to have, I'll create character to her/him to fit the story ^^

2. No. I like the doll for the craftsmanship in itself. I can add a story but probably after buying a doll.

3. I don't have any stories for my dolls, but I did come to the conclusion that I should at least have an idea of what to do with a doll before I buy one. I will create a character, but it never really gets a personality. It's more about what it will look like.

4. No. I buy the dolls that I like, and that's that.

5. As for me, I try to make every doll I buy fit the story, however, sometimes I buy a doll just because it's beautiful and I have some kind of idea about what it should look like~
      But I try my best to get all the characters of my story first.

6. That's definitely me :XD: I only buy dolls that will be a perfect fit for a character from my story. However... thats probably because the whole reason I got into the hobby was to create physical representations of my pre-existing characters :sweat Now that I'm fully immersed in the BJD hobby I DO sometimes feel like I just wanna buy a doll a like and see where it takes me but - so far - I have resisted. So, nowadays, my choice to only buy dolls to be my resin avatars is just an easy way to keep my wishlist small :XD:

7. Yes, all my dolls fit into my ongoing doll story - either I buy them to be a character or the doll screams at me to buy him/her & I have to create a character LOL The reason I am in this pricey hobby is to create doll photo stories, after all.

8. I generally pick a doll I like and then when they get home, I start building a story for them and decide how they fit into the scheme of things, with my other dolls. They all share a base world and then as I add others, their plot lines all continue to expand. x3 They get their own character bios (when I'm less lazy) and I write stories with them. Or RP with them, depending.

This was working great for me, until I saw a sculpt and went OMG IT'S MY CHARACTER from a set of stories I'm working on. Soooooo I got the doll. Spent tons on him. Only to decide his face wasn't quite as perfect in person as I'd thought from the pictures... Which prompted me to try buying some new heads to try and... I've been thru a few now. And it's been A LOT of trouble. x_x; I don't think I'm going to try shelling a preexisting character of mine again any time soon. Because wow, my nerves have been shot over this whole thing. Although it's also been exciting, in its way? Like a global treasure hunt for the perfect head! loooooooll

9. I brought my first doll with no back story or anything I just really loved the look of her and she was my favorite BJD that I had seen that I could afford, and for some of my future dolls I have character's lined up for them...but their not in any particular story ...

10. Never.
      I buy a doll because I like the sculpt.
      That sculpt then "tells" me this is my hair color my eyes...my face...etc
      I do not have character dolls.
      They become a character on their own.