1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any doll you buy have to fit a story?

Sep 12, 2010

1. My doll doesn't have a story. She's just there. :)

2. My dolls are all linked by living in a single, imaginary, inner-city neighborhood. Each one has his or her own story (much like people living in any neighborhood do...but they interact with one another.) I was very strict with myself that I would only have a certain number of dolls (because of limited display space,) and that each sculpt would be chosen specifically to fit some unique little story that takes place within that neighborhood. Then I would go to work building a unique display area for each one while I hunted for their perfect sculpt in the marketplace and company sites. This has worked perfectly for me. I very much needed limits...there was just no way I could afford to fall in love with every pretty face I saw! So I opted for a story/character/display approach instead. Now I have a complete collection of 7 that will keep me creatively busy and artistically happy far into the future, and I couldn't be more content with my little intrepid band of neighborhood misfits.:)

3. I usually buy dolls that fit a pre-existing character I've created for my short stories, table-top RPGs, or such, but now and then I come across an especially stunning or beautiful doll that just simply grabs my attention and steals my heart. But even then, if I can't figure out how s/he would fit into my evergrowing dollymultiverse (dollyverse? :lol: ) I refrain from buying the doll. If, however, I suddenly get an idea about who the doll could be and how the doll would fit into the "dollyverse", I don't hesitate to let the doll to spin a character for himself/herself.

4. This has been a very interesting read so far. It's really nice to see everyone's reasons for why they buy the dolls they do. I can certainly understand having to limit oneself. But my lack of space, funds, and that I'm extremely picky when it comes to faces, even more so with dolls it seems, will probably keep me from going crazy.

5. Hell no- to the the great sufferance of my wallet...

My pre exsiting characters are all tied into comic series- either in Pre Published stasus or in reserve is our publisher likes us enough *crosses fingers* But because of that they have an absolutely specific look and the only way I'd be happy with doll forms of them would be Minimees. (even then it would be kinda weird. I don't know why but it'd almost feel like having a doll of myself.)

So my doll based universe lets incomers create their own role. I personally adore the challange of fitting them in, woking out how to dress and present them to match their role... which means I have no real reason to say no to any sculpt that I reallly like D:

6. Hur hur hur, pretty much. If I ever buy a doll, and they don't have a story to back them up, I'm gonna force them into one. Like, if I ever get Avalanche, I'd probably get him with red hair and red eyes, or super white hair with blue eyes. Either very wintery-themed, or very fire-themed. He's just one of those extreme-looking dolls with one of those special kind of faces.
      When I get my Chiron, he'll ultimately be made to fill in my character Xalvox. Because he's perfect for the roll.

7. When I first started, I didn't really have a specific story and I bought the doll I like best~ After that though, I started thinking about it. I had a story in mind for a while, but then recently I decided to change it lol. So now I am revamping my current dolls to fit into the new storyline.

For future dolls, they will be based on the story but nothing too specific so as to make allowance for dolls that I love but might not fit into my story. So instead of buying dolls to fit my story (and rejecting those that don't), I keep an open eye and an open heart (I wish the same could be said for my wallet) and if I come across a doll I really love, I will be able to try to fit him somehow into my story. So there is a concept and a background story (and a rough idea of the characters involved), but the final direction it takes, particularly character-wise, depends on the dolls I will bring home.

8. i bought my dolls cause i really fell in love with them, and then i get to know them when the come home :)

Interesting thread, i love how much work you guys put into making dolls alive, i wish i had the drive to do it , among other things needed

9. The characters have a story that is attached to a bigger one I am making for a game *I will certainly never make XD* =B
      The dolls though only have the personality of the characters in a certain time in that story as it would be too complicated always explaining the how and the whats of the whole thing when most of it isn't even made out in my mind yet :/

10. My dolls does not have to fit a story. I just enjoy them for what they are.

Aliza

11. I personally will only go out looking to buy a doll if I've got an OC in mind to match it. Its my way of not overindulging.

12. Nope c: Sometimes when I find or buy a doll, I create a little back-story for them. But I have some dolls that I bought just because I liked their look. I probably wouldn't have the dolls I own now if my main goal was to bring characters to life ^^"

13. Well, when I spot a sculpt I love and want to buy, I usually think up a character for them! :)

I love playing around with the back stories, creating ways for some of them to be involved with one another and how each of the BJDs interacts with one another. I don't usually look for a sculpt with a character in mind, unless I'm going for a certain kind of personality. (Like derpy, or gentle or mysterious) That's about as particular as I'll get when looking up one.

14. I have too many characters already in my head to purchase uncreated ones. I see no point in it. While I love other dolls, if they don't fit in my story, I won't force them. Conveniently the person I live with is less picky than I am on that point and sometimes can be convinced to purchase dolls I adore but can't/won't have myself. Other times, I just admire the dolls, wish I could play with them and don't even truly contemplate buying them. Because I love looking at dolls, I keep a list of what sculpts and such I would like for different characters. These are interchangeable up into the point I own them. So if a new sculpt comes out that fits the character better than the previous choice, I update my list. Once I own a doll, I really attempt to do everything I can to make that sculpt work for me.

To me, without some sort of relationship with others (friendship, enemies, past lover, crushes) they have no real story. Without a story, the doll, while pretty, is lifeless to me. There isn't a reason to own a pretty decoration of that expense. Dolls are representations of people, that's why they look lifelike. Kids play with dolls to establish their own worlds, playing "house" if you will. I obviously have never grown out of that. Even my barbies had personalities and names that didn't change.

15. Although not a story writer person, my dolls have to feel as if they get along with each other. So, I guess, yes? Sort of?

16. My dolls fit characters.
      However, when I bought my first doll, it was because I was in love with his looks; I created story for him later. I have a set cast for my dolls, but it is easily changed based on me changing my tastes in dolls. One nice thing about it is it may limit the number of dolls I buy (and thus my amount of spending!) If I like a doll, I'll change the character to fit that doll.
      I did write, and while I'd like to finish my books one day...I doubt I'd make dolls of my characters. Why? FAR TOO MANY CHARACTERS. I could try to have just the main character...but then I'd need to buy his boyfriend. Then his best friend. Then all their siblings, the maids in the house, friends, enemies...too too many dolls.

17. And why would you not make your game, dear?

18. Yes, but not all the same story. :3 A few of mine are based on anime/manga characters (Fai D. Flourite from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Cho Hakkai from Saiyuki, and Fuuchouin Kazuki from GetBackers), and the rest are my own characters from stories/RPs that my best friend and I have - she owns the other characters from the stories, too. :3

Our big group - which we jokingly refer to as "the Minifee Brigade" - is composed of six characters, four of which are on layaway / waiting right now and two of which we already have: Michiru (MNF Ryeon), Kesu (MNF Shushu sleeping mod), Izanagi (MNF Shiwoo), Setsuna (MNF Miyu), Kazumi/Rasui (MNF Shushu), and Dusan (MNF Karsh). It's really, really amazing to see/watch the characters from this epic, giant storyline we've put together come to "life" in the form of the dolls. Having Michiru in doll form has helped me figure out a lot about her character that I otherwise wouldn't have known, and I can't wait to see what having Setsuna and Kazumi in the resin will do for their characterizations, as well! ;P

I don't think I could bear to have a doll without a preexisting character. Even if I got a doll on a whim and wasn't searching for a mold to fit a particular character, I'd still have to get them a character, whether it's one I have or if it meant creating one while I waited for them to arrive. :3

19. I buy dolls because I like them.

I actually never had an existing storyline to make characters from - all of my characters have come after the dolls. I actually never thought I'd get into too much of the character development, but each of my dolls have very distinct traits (behavioral, wardrobe, etc) that have come into play after I've had a chance to "get to know them" :)

Ofcourse.. buying dolls just because I like them makes my wallet & bank account very sad :( ;) Sometimes I think it'd be easier to have an existing storyline and just buy those characters..

20. Well, to start I'm buying all the dolls that fit for the two stories I have going for them. I actually kind of found dolls I loved, and then the stories sprang from them- so each sculpt is one I adore, and then I create a character for them. Now, since I can't have every doll I want in a story, I've conceded that after I finish buying for my two stories, I'm going to just start buying the dolls that I love and want, regardless of a story for them or not. They'll probably just have names and that's it, even though I really love creating stories for the dolls.