1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any doll you buy have to fit a story?

Sep 12, 2010

1. Ahh this is the bane of my existence ;)

I had lots of problems with this. I eventually decided that I really wanted a story for a lot of dolls to fit in and I've managed it, granted I've only got 3 and a half of the 7 I'm planning.
      I'm really happy with the SD size and decided to stick with that but then I wanted a Soom Chalco who is too tall. I've always wanted a Puki Puki Pong Pong, and I quite like the pukifee Luna too. Then I wanted a Soom Beyla, and other characters that I just couldn't figure out how to make them fit.

It seems limiting myself to anything at all - size, story - anything, just doesn't work. I still have my little story of 7 but it looks like I'll have to make individual characters and backstories for my future dolls. They'll still be able to interact with my other dolls, but not in stories since they won't be from the same worlds.

2. Mine have to be pre-existing characters. It didn't start out quite that way, but over time I've come to realize that that works best for me.

3. Haha I tend to buy the doll then come up with some story line!! Mostly because my doll's personalities are oposite from what I wanted them to be! I normally choose a doll for looks! I do want the doll to fit in though!! I don't want to have like 10 anime looking BJDs and then get a really realistic one or something!! My dolls are kind of inbetween anime and realistic which is exactly what I'm looking for so I like all of my dolls to have the same "look"!!

4. I think I force myself to come up with a story before buying dolls solely so I won't splurge by. Having to sort out a plot before even thinking of buying the doll helps with that a lot. Of course they aren't crappy plots... You gotta think em through completely!!

5. I didn't intend to have my first doll fit into any of my current stories. But as I saved for him and planned him, he seemed to gain a character of his own and simply begged me to write about him. It was actually quite convenient as he seemed to be the soulmate for one of my OCs. That OC will be my second doll.

I'm not sure what it will be like in the future as I'm still pretty new yet. All in all I'm sure that even if I don't intend for my dolls to fit in a story, they will all end up getting their own whether they like it or not.

6. I was looking through dolls and thought, it'd be nice to have one, but I'd never have enough money for one... until I found one... and I had been looking at him day in and day out for the past two years. He has that face that just screamed "This is your character ___!!!" He's just him. I can't help but me mezmerised by it that a character of mine is that much closer to being alive. So, naturally, I'd be buying dolls based on characters of mine that I've poured my soul into creating. ^__^

7. Hmm...yes and no.

My first bjd (e-an) came to me with a name and all of a sudden she had a story, a history and that story called for 2 more character dolls...I window shopped a while until Souldoll Celestyn and DoT Ducan made it clear that they were the characters in resin form...so I got them.

All my other bjds have a name and a personality but don't have a story to fit into. That said I will only buy a bjd if I can find a name find a name that suits my opinion of the sculpt, I usually have a meaning in mind for their name so I search for that meaning til I find one I like. Altho my devil hana (elfdoll) has a forceful personality...her name just popped into my head.

8. Nope. :XD:

I have several that are, and sometimes I fill in a spontaneous story for a new arrival, but my doll family is a whimsical nonsensical assortment of scales and types (tiny, 1/3, 1/4, fantasy, human, weird resin colors, elves, cutesy girl...).

If I see a dolly and just fall in love with it, it belongs somehow. :whee:

9. I still don`t have a story for myy doll. I just know it`s in his character - to keep quiet about it)))

10. All the dolls I plan to get fit into one of three stories I have going on e3e;
      My first doll, however, had nothing but a name.. And then he had a background story which was shared with a friend of mine + her doll... But then that didn't work out, so now he has a new one. Over that process I've created 2 new characters to go with his story, and one of which was just "I want a doll that's a Faun..", and so I decided I would add one to my wishlist and make a character for him to go with that story.~
      I made some more OCs in that time, a brother/sister duo (who make up my second storyline) and another guy whose sort of in his own storyline.. But when I made them, I just had a feeling that I had to turn them into dollies xD So I looked for dolls that would fit what these characters looked like in the first place (I had looks all set out, I love to draw so I draw them often), and then I've found ones that work for what I want them to be~

There are dolls, however, that I really like and would want to buy but I don't have a story for them. If I ever wanted one so much I had to buy it right then and there, I'd probably make a character for it to fit one of my existing stories or make new stories for them.

Yeah. That's my rant xD!

11. None of my dolls have stories per say but I do have a basic layout including name, personality, and relationships (family/girlfriend/boyfriend/friends) and some basic background information. Until I actually get the dolls then the story actually unfolds, like with my two dolls I have now they just go around having wacky adventures around my house.

12. Nope~ My dolls don't fit into a story, pre-existing or otherwise. If they were to be part of a story, it would be about what it's like to be a doll owned by me. XD Not something that's hard to "fit into!"

13. If I come across a doll I must have that isn't a preexisting character, I create a new character for it.

14. I started out with just a doll or two, then I made up a story and bought more dolls to go with it. As even more dolls came, I tried to incorporate them into the story, but once I started buying dolls with a different size scale, I just made up more stories to go with each size. Now, there are several stories and several sizes, and one or two dolls that just stand alone.

15. I became really fascinated with BJD after seeing a couple of pictures of them- and then browsing through hundreds of them. The faceups people do are beautiful and really inspiring. I have a doll coming to me that I think will give me a push to start writing about an idea I've had brewing since the beginning of the summer. I haven't had the inspiration to just dig into the story and start writing. I really think that the girl thats coming to me (who will be my main character) will give me that push. By doing my own faceups, delving into sewing, and starting new projects for her, Im hoping will be enough inspiration to finally get started. I'm already planning other characters that fit into the particular world too- next I'll be getting a boy after more research and then finally a more child like BJD.

16. Not necessarily immediately, but I plan that all my dolls will end up having their own story. Noire already had one before she became a doll, but I don't think that not having a story the second I see a doll I love would prevent me from buying one. For example, I recently fell in love with DZ Asura, but have no story for the dude... XD Doesn't make me want him less!

17. I built a story around my doll, actually. I wanted a doll, but didn't have a character for him... so I built one around and for him. :)

18. I got into BJDs through regular doll collecting (Tonner, Kish, etc.) so they are just dolls to me. I don't make up names or background stories for any of them. I like to completely change how they look, so having them be a character seems limiting to me. I bought mine only because I liked them.

19. I don't really know where to post but this seems like a topic for my question. I'm kinda in a dilemma right now, who do you choose if you can only choose one? a doll that you like but doesn't fit your character or the one that you doesn't like as much but fits your character more?

20. I have not received my first BJD yet (he's on layaway) but I bought him SPECIFICALLY because he fits one of my favorite characters. In fact, my plan is to only buy dolls that fit pre-existing characters, if only so I can keep buying dolls to a minimum. I'm VERY not rich and I have a tendancy to be highly irresponsible with my not so much funds so I'm hoping this restriction will keep me from buying every single doll I see just because they're pretty. Plus, I really just want embodiments of my characters. I think that would be amazing. I want my dolls to have some meaning to me. I think mostly because I don't want to abandon them. :)