1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any doll you buy have to fit a story?

Sep 12, 2010

1. I actually prefer to like the doll and THEN create a character for them instead of the other way around. I just feel I'd bond with them a lot more then I would just getting them because they happened to fit a character I created. To me, it's not the same as enjoying BJDs I guess. And I've read a lot on how people just turn around and sell them afterwards because the doll didn't fit as well as they thought. To me, I would rather spend money on something I trully want based off of what I like about the sculpt and everything over what fits a premade character better. And I know some friends who get dolls mainly through characters and they bond with the doll as much as they would if they had bought it just for the sculpt. So there are really no wrong ways.

2. In my case it's little bit complicated. I like when the doll arrives and I already know her...like she has a backstory, character etc. ,but neverending hunting for the perfect sculpt for XY is just not my cup of tea.
      So I created one main story line which I can add other characters backstories to. Basically, I can create how many characters I want and it will still work.
      Finding a doll I like and then creating her character is the biggest fun for me! :)

3. I only have one doll, waiting for my second, but the dolls I buy don't have to fit a story. I buy the dolls I like.
      If I'll do a story, I'll use the dolls I have, adjust the story after the dolls.

4. Actually I purchased my BJD because I love her, and then the stories come. I make her into characters to go with my Ginnys and Pepos according to the settings and clothes I put them in.

5. Not really. I am one of those who buy cos I love the sculpts. The main reason that got me into BJDs is that Im an anime/manga freak and BJDs allow me to impose my fav characters onto them.

6. Yes. They're preexisting characters who have designs, back stories, and personalities I already know inside and out. There are plenty of pretty resin faces I love, and I have admired the beauty of dolls that I've bought just because, but the love doesn't last. I guess I'm the type who has to do some character bonding before I make the plunge for the doll.

7. I tried buying a doll for a pre-existing character. Once. It didn't work. Her facial sculpt just didn't fit with the wig and the eyes and the faceup that character needed. It finally came down to either changing her faceup or selling the doll, so I gave her a makeover. New wig, new faceup, new eyes, new style.
      I absolutely adore her now. But she's a doll. Not a character. All of my dolls are dolls. Simply that. ~

8. I have one doll I plan to buy simply due to the fact that I loved her sculpt. I have no character in mind for her but she is too pretty for me to pass up. She dosn't quite fit into my doll family but when she gets here I am sure she will find a niche.

9. When I see a doll I fall in love with, I usually start trying to find where she "fits in". I have so many characters and so many facets waiting for expression that it's usually not difficult. Some of my dolls represent RP characters, but a couple of my girls developed personalities on their own. Almost as an experiment I deliberately did not conceive of a character concept for my very first Obitsu until she came home, and out of the box I named her Megumi, and her character blossomed from there. Belle Fontaine was kind of a "whoops" baby--I loved her face sculpt at first sight but had no concept of a character for her until she told me who she was. Ashe, Miya and Chae-ri were all pre-existent, though.

Oh, and Chae-ri loves to cosplay as other characters. She can't decide whether to be Mi-na from Inheongsa or Hell Girl for Halloween.

10. I haven't actually gotten a doll yet but the first one I'm buying fits my character very well. Others on my (to get) list seem to be mixed between characters I make or dolls I think are just really pretty~ I suppose I am changeable I may think of a character for them.

11. I wouldn't say they have to fit a story. Mine just have to be ones I like. I'm not fond of pouty, I like my dolls to be smiling. Personal choice.

12. all my boys have stories, and those planned have stories ive had and written for years and years <3 i find it helps me bond with them better and well its the only reason in really get them as dolls, because they are my characters then physically too. <3

13. Oh, yes, absolutely. I love the art and sculpt of various BJDs, but my desire to see one of them as my characters is much bigger. ^^ When I first met the BJD hobby, I also have "tried" to decide on which doll to buy without writing an story for them before. But, even if i though those were the best models, I couldn't help but to dissolve my plans, and , one year later, to start to writing of the -real- story that would fulfill my dreams. Result: I changed /all/ of the models I'd buy previously, and I'm more secure about my decision, since I have themy character's personalities to justify it. =)

14. I always wanted a storyline for mine but the dolls I was looking at originally didnt seem to have a story that I could relate to them. Since I've found the Suntan Mettaa a story popped into my head and now I'm following the storyline and finding dolls that fit into it. On the odd occasion I've found a lovely doll and decided to write in a new character just for him/her but otherwise I'm actually hunting down my perfect character dolls.

15. In response to that title, NO!Of course not!

I posted a thread kinda like this a while back, asking if people buy dolls just to fit their characters even if itmight not be their favorite mold, and some people do!
      So I thinkgo with the one you love, regardless :) he/she will find his/her place ;D

16. I haven't got my doll yet but I found that I did have a character in mind for the purchase, but not one I've ever really used in my current stories or rps with friends. I kinda think I filed this character away for the arrival of my doll. Buuuuut there is always the worry that the character might not 'stick' when I finally have him in my hands XD I've heard that happening quite a bit :/

17. I don't have a doll yet but I don't think I would buy a doll and have a character for it already pre-made. I think the most I might have is an idea but I have a feeling that the doll would take on a personality of its own. The most I see is my dolls having a set clothing theme at the most.

18. Not really.......You just have to love who they are!!

19. It doesn't have to... although I tend to be attracted to dolls that remind me of my personal characters.
      I've fallen in love with many sculpts that are just beautiful being themselves.

20. Nope. For me, the story is growing from the doll.