1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Limit Your Creativity?

Feb 9, 2010

1. There is no person or object limiting my creativity. Perhaps, I am limited with these bjds by monetary means. Being a full time college student, textbooks, school supplies and tuition/student loans takes precedent over my bjds. I try to make a compromise but it is harder now with the loans and a low paying job.
      My parents enjoy my dolls and like the intricacy and creativity behind them, however, I suppose they are a little edgy on how expensive they are.

2. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Yes and yes.

Who or what limits your creativity? Why?
      Well, my landlord isn't too thrilled about me spraying poison all over, my neighbor complains about all sorts of funny smells already, (seriously, dude, it's called chili) my boyfriend has this thing with me and power tools, both are moot points because I have shaky hands, and I'm a heckuva control freak when it comes to sending them out.
      And, of course, the Almighty Dollar.

How do you feel about this and do you wish it to stop?
      Honestly, I hadn't realized the list was so long! I have to get around to letting other people work on my dolls because I can't help the shakes. Also, I don't think my boyfriend's father has one of the tools I want to use anyways. >.<

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Yes, but only if it affects market value. I'm twenty-something and out of my mother's house, the dolls are bought with my money, and anyone who has an opinion about what I do with them can shove it. For example, my mother complains about my Alk's eyes every single time, since he has no pupils. I happen to like the cataract look. So I will change his eyes roughly...when the Lions win the Superbowl.
      I specifically waited until I was on my own before I bought any dolls, though creativity had nothing to do with it. I was raised by hippies.

3. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      I sometimes feel that my girlfriend limits my creativity to a point. She doesn't mean to, and she'd be horrified if she even knew I occasionally felt this way.

My girlfriend is virtually my only RP partner, as I don't like to put myself out on the internet and maybe deal with people I'd rather not. I realize that this is my fault, but at the same time, I feel stifled in having to deal with a certain type that I usually RP. I sometimes want certain things from a character that I feel she doesn't quite understand, or doesn't want to accommodate. Of course, it's a two-way street, so we try to compromise as much as possible, but I still occasionally feel stifled.

I realize it's a little unfair of me to be frustrated when she doesn't want to continue with a pair, or set, of characters we have, or when she doesn't get what I'm trying to do with a particular character, but I do feel frustrated. I do wish, from time to time, that she would be a little more understanding/willing to participate, but I'm not going to push her if she feels strongly about something.

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Sometimes... I like to experiment with different ideas and character types, even if it's typical, popular, or overdone, but especially if it's something strange or unusual. I don't often go as all out as I'd like, or I try to tailor-fit my character to match what she has in mind. Like I said, it can be frustrating, for the both of us, but we compromise. And have more characters than we really know what to do with. :)

4. I'm big enough (and ugly enough ;D) to make my own choices about what I can't do, but I do sometimes take into account the reactions of my parents a bit more than I should but I do know that my parents would never forbid me to do something unless it was risky to my life in some way, but then most parents aren't as broad minded as mine =D

5. Currently, I'm seriously limited by money, time, and mother. I've been job hunting but it's very difficult to even find menial jobs nowadays where I'm at. As for time, I'm a full time college student who's trying to get good grades for grad school. My mother just thinks dolls are stupid because "not everyone else is into them".

6. I wouldn&#8217;t call being considerate of the people around me a limitation to my creativity. My boyfriend is more or less okay with my dolls, but still thinks it&#8217;s a weird hobby, so I don&#8217;t photograph my dolls cuddling as that would creep him out (especially the same gender couples). There are days he isn&#8217;t at home and on those days I get to do the "weird" stuff without running the risk of making him feel uncomfortable or think I&#8217;ve lost my marbles.
      I love him too much to tell him to just deal with it. ;)

7. Nothing limits my creativity, beyond my own lack of it and my laziness, aha. I pay for my dolls, I'll do whatever I want to with them. If it's something I can't do myself due to a lack of talent, I'll find someone else who CAN do it.

8. Is you creativity limited by someone or something? Yes!

Who or what limits your creativity? Why? Friends and family [not my boyfriend he's behind me 100%]

How do you feel about this and do you wish it to stop? I dislike it. I work hard for my money and I should enjoy my hobby to its fullest. if people don't like my hobby well pfts to them. Keep their opinions to themselves.

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity? Nope. Just more secretive.

9. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      No, not really, well sometimes money or experience.

that would be me, I'm a little lazy, I do make lots of plans but it's rare if I actually make time to make clothes, for example or something like that.
      And that's also because I don't have experience with making stuff, again, like clothes, but you'd get experience by making them, yes I know..

It kinda irritates me about myself, and that's why one of my resolutions this year was to make more stuff myself and I do that now, and it's cool :) though if you look at it closely it still sucks.. but maybe I'll get there.. someday.. :)

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      No.

10. My creativity is always in my head, or I write it down. The only thing that will limit creativity is monetary issues whether I can afford supplies, clothes, wigs, parts, etc. for my dolls. I can't do faceups and I can't make clothes. I honestly don't have the time or patience to make clothes, but I'd really like to try doing faceups it's really fun and I love makeup, and making things looks pretty. :D

11. I can totally understand your frustration! It's sucky living under someone else's roof and rules, sometimes. That being said, I agree with what everyone else is saying... Creativity is a bottomless well. When your mom throws up a roadblock, use your creativity to get around it!

For example -

In the future, cigarettes have gone 'virtual', and people go on line, plug directly into their computer systems and get their fix that way. (Kind of like 'tech' for those who remember the old William Shatner series.) Your doll is a character who lives in this future - perhaps he even has a job as a lobbyist fighting the very thing that he is secretly addicted to!

Erm... Excuse the random brain drippings, but you get my point, right? Good luck!!

12. To be honest, part of being creative is well, being creative. Learn to find ways to get around the little limitations, for example: "I can't get the clothes I want" so learn to sew. Or, use ebay. Or find another way- you can do it! Come up with things that you can do to make your own way forward. It's part of growing up, and it's important.

Short of doing something that you honestly just know is wrong, you can always find ways around the little limitations in your life. I don't have a job, but I want to buy dolls. Thus, I've figured out that selling off my junk collections is quite a brilliant way to fund myself! I wanted to save money, but still have my dolls look great: I taught myself to sew and do faceups. You can't always just have things in life (which I'm sure you know) so get used to finding new ways and means of dealing with things: it's something you'll need for the rest of your life.

13. Hmmm...
      Outfits with partial nudity, I want to make them. But I don't really know if you can take a doll out like that. XD;; So maybe the people who stifle my creativity are: the people who would potentially be offended by that if I took a partially nude doll to a con or something. XD;;
      Is that illegal in any way? I don't even know. I know I've seen posters with boobs in shop windows, and art galleries can show nude art that can be seen from the street, but you have to cover nudity in anime con art shows.. (which is more like con policy I guess, but that's protected by law I'm sure) so where is the line drawn, and how do rules like this apply to individual people walking around the con center or hotel, or out in the city?;;;;

14. hmmm in a lot of ways I can sort of understand your predicament, as I'm usually seeking my family or friends opinion on matters and hope for approval, granted on an adult's point of view for their kids in this situation, I believe she's concerned with 2 things, that an expensive item is going to get ruined (concern for cost and worth) and also that there's some sort of bad influence (having a doll depict an image with a cigarette). Some parents are slightly weird like that in that if your doll is going to do that, that you are either influenced or influencing others in that habit. Not much I can advise in such cases, other than explaining it's just art and not some messed up desire to corrupt yourself or others. I'm blessed that my mother just loves my dolls and both best friends I have, collects dolls (either bjd or otherwise). If you have the means, no one should limit your creativity, as long as you're not hurting yourself or others, there shouldn't be a problem. If all else fails, wait till you're legally an adult and then they can't say a thing XD ...not to influence you badly or anything ._.;;

15. I believe that as long as it's not done in a sexual or sexually suggestive manner, nudes are all right. Also, the subject needs to be over 18 (in the US). So, basically, if your doll looks like a child, don't do it. If your doll looks like an adult and you're not doing it to be sexy or to suggest sex, it should be alright.
      If you're displaying it in an art gallery (or Artist Alley) you might need to put a warning on it. Ask the moderators at the convention.

16. I can really do anything I please to them, but if I ever told my family that I had bisexual and homosexual dolls, or that I have plans to own demons, angels, a vampire, and a couple of animal gods, I know for a fact they wouldn't accept. I still do it, but if I ever mention the names of my dolls, I have to change Lucifer's name to Lucien. I'd have to change some stories around. When I was younger, I used to have a comic about rodent people and cat people, and the fact that I have a half deer, some half unicorns, and a half wolf and half fox planned in the making, they would probably believe it.

Soooo, I guess in the end, it doesn't really stifle my creativity. I just have to be careful about how I explain their stories around them.

17. Since money cannot be a factor in this debate, I'd say my studies are the only thing that can limit my creativity. I'm a college biology major aspiring to be a veterinarian, so I spend a great deal of my time outside class studying.

Aside from that, no person could ever limit my creativity. I couldn't live with myself if I allowed another person's influence dictate my art.

18. Hmmm... but people have such different ideas of what looks "sexual". I don't plan to put her in bondange or anything, but especially if the subject is an attractive looking young woman, if she's showing anything, (like nipples) people will see it as sexual much of the time, don't you think?

I suppose the overall image would be helped by the fact that I'm a young woman too, though. It probably looks less sexually devious than a man with a nude girl doll.

But I guess I'll have to test it to be sure of any of this. :3

19. There's always going to be things people do or do not like, and the fact that we tend to use realistic and sometimes controversial concepts for our dolls' stories *drug use, running away from home, scars, etc.* for realistic and creative purposes 'tips people off'' *lack of better word, please correct me if you have a better way of phrasing?* doesn't really bother me.

My mom is against several things that I plan for my dolls: she doesn't like the face Kura is supposed to have because *she* looks mean, doesn't like that *she* is going to be a run-away from his home, and the modding *which I love* that I've shown to her on dolls *she's remarked 'why would you do that to such a beautiful doll?' and although I explain 'it's up to the user for what they want', she just.... *_*

It doesn't discourage me from doing what I want, I'm only worried that I won't be able to bond with Kura when I get him no matter how much of my ideas came across, because my mom and possible others will be on my case. Imaginations tend to clash no matter what...

20. Ultimately, I believe the only person who can limit my creativity is me - if I start blaming it on someone or something else, I am strictly passing the buck, making excuses, and not taking responsibility for my own baggage.

Yes, social or financial reality will sometimes place restrictions on what I can reasonably do, but it is creativity itself that will find a way to bypass those impediments. If I don't feel comfortable telling the full story of my dolls, because some people won't accept the supernatural or same-sex relationships, I can invent a metaphorical way of explaining it (reverse-slashing my own fiction, in a sense; which is a very interesting concept). If I lack the money for the expensive supplies I yearn for, I can create an analogous project using what I can afford - I often have had to do this when cash was tight, and some of my most-creative work was the result. Often, I find that having limitations imposed makes me more creative, just like how a kite doesn't soar unless it is tied to a string.

Time, energy and priorities: these are the only limits to creativity. Unfortunately, mundane responsibilities like paying the rent and fixing dinner often take top-rung over creative life, but even then, I can still dream - and that is creative, too!