1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Limit Your Creativity?

Feb 9, 2010

1. Exactly what I was trying to say in my post above, only much more succinct! :aheartbea Blaming other people for our limitations is pointless and obnoxious - we should accept responsibility for what we do (or do not do).

2. I guess when one is under the legal authority of ones parents because one is a minor (and yes, that is exactly how it is viewed legally), one has to obey them even if one vehemently disagrees with them. The only thing one can do is wait until one is 18 and leaves home and then do all the things that ones parents won't let them do. It sucks, but while you are still legally minors ones parents' word is law (within reason).

I find it disturbing how kids in the states can be sent for therapy for expressing a sexuality other than heterosexual or even remotely daring to challenge social norms. I guess we in the UK are Leary of going down that path as we find the whole idea of treating something like homosexuality as a mental illness a clear breach of that person's civil liberties and their right to live without censure for something that is not classified as a mental illness or criminal act in our country or society. We would even consider such moves to be child abuse.

The best thing to do is live peaceably with ones parents until one can legally leave home and forge ones own life. It sucks, but there it is.

Phil.

3. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      I guess part of it is money for supplies to do some modding and a little bit of my mother.
      Who or what limits your creativity? Why?
      I want to say my creativity is mostly limited by myself. I never find myself creative enough or brave enough to change my dolls in and since, heck I owned both my dolls for about 3 years now and im only brave enough to change their wigs and clothes.

How do you feel about this and do you wish it to stop?
      Of course I would wish that I would get over ruining my dolls, cuz I know I can just redo them, but I know it won't stop till I at least try.

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Ummmm.... yeaah... Im afraid I will just ruin my dolls and afraid that other will make fun of how my doll looks. But, hey if the doll looks how I want it to look, why change it?

4. No. I may be only 16-years-old, but I really do not find my creativity limited. My parents have long been supporters of my characters (I've always been a very creative person that makes up a lot of characters) and also have conversations about them with my parents. They actually know a few things about my characters. Things that I wouldn't tell them are probably so for a reason. They don't 'ground' me because of something my character does. They don't particularly like the dragon feet of Kouhei and think it's a little scary, but they smile and nod and say "yeah, they're cool!".
      I think the most limiting force of creativity is oneself.

If there is somebody that is limiting you, why tell them? If they don't understand the hobby they probably won't appreciate the things you want to do. So, I don't seek the approval of those I know would deny it.

5. Christie, you are very lucky to have such supportive parents. I ended up going for the latter option ie. just not talking to my parents about a lot of my creative persuits whilst I lived under their roof due to lack of understanding on their part, especially from my mother. I learned this the hard way though, due to countless arguements ...so I just learned to keep things to myself to avoid such confrontations. These days not discussing things with them is a way of life... they live just on the other side of Sydney but we talk very little and see each other even less. I have my husband to talk to who, although his creative interests differ a lot to mine, we share a love of sci-fi, fantasy & certain anime & horror films. He very patiently puts up with my doll banter but even there I try not to go on too much so as to not try his patience. He has his own hobbies, & these separate interests are what keep us sane / stop us from getting on each others' nerves too much.

6. Time.

I go to College and have a full-time job. I usually read a book when I get home just because I'm tired and I don't like to touch my dolls when I'm like that because that means that I would not be as careful or motivated as when I'm my normal self.

7. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      My mother....-_-

She limits it by coming in and telling me my dolls are creepy and i need to fix them. (No body piercing...black lips dark cloths)

Hell yah! I hate it

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Yeah...I'm kinda afraid...because she threntend to sell them all if they look "dark"

8. Heh, I'm a grownup so I don't have to worry about parents telling me what to do - but it is hard to get to work on creative stuff of any sort with my 14 month old son grabbing at things, and between cleaning and making dinner and doing laundry and all that. I don't yet have my first doll (hopefully I'll get her ordered tonight!) but I'm sculpting one and it's very hard to scamper off to the attic when real life gets in the way. I don't really have any friends that understand the aesthetic, and my husband encourages me and lets me create how I want, but not having anyone around in person who really gets it is kind of frustrating.

9. I think the only thing limiting my creativity is myself :) Sometimes I actually wish I had someone who shared the same vision I do, so that we could trade ideas..since two heads are usually better then one! But since I don't, the only thing that limits myself is my frequent creativity blocks, or my skillz (such as face-ups, mods, or extravegant clothing..but I'm trying!)

As for being limited by someone else, I believe in the end, you are really only being limited by yourself, because you're deciding to heed that person's advice/demands. After all, in the end it is YOUR doll, so you essentially have the right to do whatever you wish with it ^^

I think when it comes to parents or others close to you, things that are considered not with the ideal lifestyle - such as tattooing, piercing, smoking, drug-use, cross-dressing, feminine boys, etc - scares them, because they are afraid that by portraying it, you have some inner desire to be that way. And it makes sense, really, since dolls are seen to be learning tools that help bring out creativity - that's why beautiful blonde barbie is so successful. She's always the veteranarian, or the mommy, never the tattoo artist or the stripper.

So that's where I think you should be able to sit down and reason with the person limiting your creativity if it really bothers you, and explain that it's for creativity. Most people that would even think of doing such things as tattoos and what not are probably mature enough to realize what they are doing, so it is in no way harmful! You could even say that it's better your doll is experiencing the lifestyle, because it is a way for you to explore it without going there yourself.

10. I think you should talk to your mom and ask her WHY she is so opposed to giving your doll a tattoo or having the character smoke. Maybe she thinks you are doing it or thinking about doing it and acting out on the doll first.

Its only a doll, and you could just get the water tattoos that come off with alcohol {that's what I use} if she is worried it will ruin the doll {being that is was alot of money}

she has an underlying problem and it needs to addressed.

and I'm almost 50..no one tells me what I can and can't do with my dolls.:sweat

11. My roommate/boyfriend and me have had small little fights about me getting a doll before I have paid my debits. I really want one to show off the jewelry I can make for BJDs and that was another thing we have had fights over. I can't really make/sale the jewelry until i have one model the jewelry >.< and borrowiing someones doll is strange, although I have done that.

12. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

Not really. Money shouldn't ever limit creativity, but it does help to have the extra moolah laying around in your back pocket!

Nothing but myself. If I'm broke, then I do things that don't require money! Photoshoots in the backyard, writing out back story, just sit with the doll in my lap while I read/play video games/watch movies....

I figure its a learning experience. It allows (forces) you to think outside of the box!

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?

Not really. Lucky me, my parents are either MIA or, in the case of my dad who got me the doll, live several hours away and know nothing of my doll habits--which aren't much since I've only had the doll for a week, but shhh.

13. I'm an adult and pay all my own bills, but my mother has an... active say in my creativity because I spend a lot of time with my family. I don't let her stifle it, I just censor certain aspects that I expose her to. For example, two of my characters are gay. Not a big deal, but my mother is very old-school. So I still have my characters, and when I get the other one in doll form, I just won't let her see them together as a couple. She wasn't thrilled about Lucien's tatoo, either, but we're taking baby steps. Someday I hope to have my doll sitting on the couch in leather and chains with his junk hanging out and have her not even bat an eye!

14. Hmmm. I line up with Kiyakotari on this one. In fact, I think we can put obstacles in front of ourselves by declaring that anyone, or anything, can limit our creativity. Expression can be limited by others. Folks can grow up in totalitarian states where creative expression is not simply frowned upon, but literally dangerous. But creativity? Never. Creativity finds a way. That's what it does, as long as we don't shoot ourselves down.

I am the only one limiting my creativity. What I'd like to figure out is why.

15. I was just talking about this with my friend Prea the other night. I will gladly put in my 2 cents.

Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

Yes, to a minor extent.
      My Boyfriend/Intended. He is not down with the whole "anatomically correct"ness of the dolls. I would like to blush Constantine and give him a trail (cuz I mean c'mon, a bald guy is alot weirder than a guy with a trail - seems more natural to me) but I know this would upset Joshua. I also can't dress him frilly or anything or Joshua will badger me calling him "gay" or "girly" until I take it off. Makes me very irritated sometimes because Con's character is not very masculine.
      It makes me sad because he doesn't care about my hobby unless I do something he does not approve of. I wouldn't mind so much if he'd pay attention to the positive things as well. If he's be nicer about it and give one tiny inch of caring towards it I wouldn't care and wouldn't want it to stop.
      Yeah, I don't want to upset him or get a lecture or heaven forbid have to worry about him taking the blush and clothes off the doll himself! I just don't bother.

16. I don't think I have any "limiting factors", as it were, however I am a little worried about getting my second doll and then having to explain to my parents how it's the first (male) doll's boyfriend. I'm not sure that'll go over too well with the mother, but, then again, I'm 18 and what can she do, really? Still, I don't want her to be weird around me because of my "gay" dolls, so I'd probably limit the photoshoots with them to days when she's seldom home.

17. I hear you on that one! My youngest is two and a half, and when I start getting the dolls down she wants to join in "playing" with them.

The other thing I've found is that whilst I may have got the odd funny look before when I took my dolls out for a photoshoot, you just really can't do it at all with a toddler. An adult woman with a child is not "supposed" to be playing with dolls in public. The risk of public censure is just too great. Plus there's the whole distraction factor; you can concentrate on the dolls or the child, but it's pretty hard to pay attention to both at the same time - either you're neglectful of the child for the few minutes it takes to set up the shoot, get your shots, stop the doll concerned from faceplanting or being grabbed by strangers (well-meaning or otherwise) - or you concentrate on the child and risk some mishap to the doll due to your inattention. It's just not feasible.

My natural reticence and shyness inhibits me as well; there's a gorgeous 900-year-old church just 2 minutes' walk around the corner from my house, with a slightly overgrown graveyard full of the most magnificent tombs, many draped and festooned with ivy. It would be a marvellous place for a photoshoot, and my partner would look after the toddler quite happily whilst I went there for an hour or so to take photos. But the thought of the questions I would get from people - not to mention what the vicar would say! - and trying to explain just what I was doing.... *sigh*

18. Like others said, mainly my own laziness... and thinking that I'm just not good enough so i don't try. Sometimes we really are our own worst enemies in that sense.

I'm 30 but I live with my father so I am limited in that I feel I cannot do anything creative outside the confines of my room, because I will either be poked fun at, feel self conscious, or I'll have to listen to a blaring TV while trying to take photos or work on artwork, which is something I can't stand! He knows I'm a weirdo with dolls *grin* but I still just don't want the jokes or raised eyebrows should I parade into the living room with my dolls and camera and props lol.

It also doesn't help that I still get treated like a kid when I do things like spray-coat my doll in the bathroom. "What are we doing now?? Stinking up the house??" etc.... sigh... good thing I love him! ;)

I'm marrying/moving out in a couple of months though so perhaps I'll finally be able to 'enjoy' being an adult with free reign of the house. My fiance fully supports all my hobbies and shares some of them too. :) I don't think I could be with someone who didn't.

These kinds of limits are things all people living with parents have faced. Once you move out, then you are free, and then you can choose who you spend your time with and can choose to not be with someone who would limit you. In the meantime, try a different outlet for your creativity that you don't have to ask or tell your parents about. :)

19. Now THERE is the real question! You've hit the nail on the head, green_judy. What is it that keeps us from letting our creative urges run wild? It's clear that they're there, so why don't we take advantage of them? Is it that we're lazy or not committed/disciplined? Is it a fear of our results not living up to our expectations?

I'm guessing a combination of the above. I know that there some projects I've planned and have delayed because I feel my skills are not yet adequate to yield the results that I desire. There are also some that I've delayed because I've not yet found the materials I need to pull them off. Though I think that (at least for me), there are far more that I've put off because I've chosen to instead spend the time doing other things.

20. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      yes.
      not having a way of ordering things online with out help from my mom
      I can't buy stuff online with out her asking why and then having to take an hour to explaine my purchase.
      EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity? um no i just need to get myself a credit card but i can't because im not 18 yet.

But seriously no one is stopping you except yourself. You mostly likely have a lock on your bedroom door so use it. You don't have to tell you parents every thing.(unless you're using their money) You can go out and buy stuff yourself or lie and say it's for something else.