1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Limit Your Creativity?

Feb 9, 2010

1. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

No -- sometimes I'm short on time, but that's a condition that comes and goes. Money is a matter of just being patient. As for people, I'm an adult and live on my own. Nobody gets a say in what I do with my dolls.

Who or what limits your creativity? Why?

The only one who can truly limit what I do is myself, as creativity is not something other people can dictate. In some ways I can be my own worst enemy, because I'm hard on myself -- it causes me to put off doing things at times, because I feel like I won't be able to do it justice. That's my big issue with getting actual photostories done -- I'm picky about how I want it to turn out, and it causes me to put off actually getting pics taken though I've scripted out several stories. It is rather dependent on the medium however, as I feel perfectly fine about faceups, putting together hybrids, blushing, tattoos etc, but though I love to write and it's the main doll thing I do, I often feel shy about really putting it out there and sharing it though I have posted stuff on other forums from time to time (though that doesn't necessarily stop me from actually creating, it just interferes with my ability to share it). However, in the end I'm fairly stubborn, so if it's important enough to me, I'll work myself up to it, and it will happen.

One thing I don't do is ask for permission before I do things -- and rarely opinions either. If I want to do something, I just do it. If I want feedback I'll ask for some, but as they are my dolls, my opinion is the one that really counts. I do realize that it's easier to do this as an adult, as their is no one looking over my shoulder, and I can access any supplies I might need myself.

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?

No -- that's not something that's really come up. I am aware of forum rules and audience if I go to post something, however that's just good manners. It's not something that keeps me from creating something.

2. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

Yep

Monseur Almighty Dollar -_-;; some of that stuff is expensive lol.

How do you feel about this and do you wish it to stop?

I think it is dumb and made of butts but I just save up or work for stuff.

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?

Not after yesterday, when I did my first, test faceup, didn't like it, so washed it off. Almost nothing is permanent with dollies :3

3. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Yes, I think so
      Two things;
      One of them is me doubting myself and skills. (As in so many times going: "I can't mod Mei's face! She’s too pretty!!"

The other is getting stuff to do modifications with (as Muliput gives me chemical burns, as well as many other things)

I find it very annoying! And would give anything to use craft materials like a normal person with our my skin practically falling off

Yes, I love a modified doll, but I also love not having sore hands (making a tail right now and even the wire form that hurts ><)

So.. The someone that stops me... is me? (Or my skin at least)
      :...(

4. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Yes.
      My parents. Though it doesn't really bother me that much because they won't force me not to do something with my dolls (ex. if I wanted to tatoo him/her) they would ask me to really think about what I was doing before I did it. Is it something you really support? Is it something you are alright with doing yourself? If not why would you allow your doll to do it/have it/be it?
      Honestly, I agree with my parents on a lot of things, and the things that we don't agree on are so miniscule it doesn't bother me a lot, and nor does it bother them too much because they trust me and try to understand me (most of the time. ;) ) For example I really want to get snake bites (for myself actually), but my parents would shoot me if I did it to myself, my mom has said if I did that she'd kick me out or I'd have to wait to get them until I move out. xD She was NOT joking...I've tried for years to get her to let me get them, and don't even get me started on my dad....but when I asked her if I could give my DOLL piercings she was ok with it, because it's 'better the doll than yourself', so she was allowing me to use that bit of creativity that I wanted so much on my doll, versus on myself. I also have this certain tatoo that I would REALLY love to get someday, but I really don't think I ever will, but I am hoping to put it on one of my future dolls. She will most likely feel the same way about that as the piercings.
      Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Yes, of course. I feel more limited because if I don't talk to my parents about something like said example, I would definitly be in trouble, like, getting the said doll taken away for X weeks or something, that would be aweful! So I'd rather just try to explain to my parents why I wanted what I wanted and see if they understand at all. Usually if I explain it calmly they will eventually 'get' what I'm saying. :)

5. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Not really, but there is a but. I don't think you can really limit creativity, for me is not something you can entirely control: when an idea get stuck in you brain you can't really erase it that easily (not I think you should). BUT... I know some of my character's features would freak out people around me, so I just don't tell them, but the character remains the same. For example, one of my boys, Nanashi, is half incubus and, since incubus are supposed to have some animal features but I wanted him to be really really cute and pink... I gave him cat ears. To other people they are just cat ears because probably they wouldn't understand that he is a half sex demon, but my doll is still the same character for me.

It would be wonderful if I could talk freely about all my ideas, but unfortunately, the world we live in is not really an understanding one.

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      Sometimes I've been tempted to, but the worst that could happen to me is that people would think I'm weird... and I'm sure some of them already do, so that's no real problem xD

6. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

No. Mine is not. But I am a grown up who is fortunate to be in a relationship with a sane person. If you are limited by your parents because you are still in your minority that's an "Oh Well" situation. Grow up, get a job and poof; You are your the boss of your life. Until then, suck it up, because if you are beholden to your parents for your support you need to be respectful of their views and wishes, even if it stifles your creativity. If you are limited by a spouse, or significant other you may have a medical condition that requires professional intervention, ie, your SO is an alcoholic and your life is affected, you need counseling or the help of a group like Al Anon. These things are no joke and very real, but there is help for that kind of situation.
      If you are just immature and easily swayed by the judgments of others I only suggest you try to grow a backbone and learn to stand up for your own choices. There is nothing more deadly to creativity than obsession over what someone else will think of it. Unless you are working on a commission that is.

7. I find that it is the Doll companies themselves that limit my creativity. There are companies like Soom who do beautiful parts, such as the hawks feet and dead hands, but wont sell them separately.

I can paint and make clothing but I cant model doll parts myself. As for other people, I have no parents and as an adult I am only limited by time, money and personal talent. My boyfriend and best friend / housemate are both very supportive of any creative venture I try, including dolls.

8. Once you get marketplace access, you'll be able to find fantasy parts second hand -- there's a lot of them floating around out there.

9. Thats good to know :)

Thank you

10. My parents are very against my dolls smoking, doing drugs, having mental disorders, and self injuring. They think it's wrong to blush a body to look like the ribs are poking out, or to scar the arms. But that's part of the character, and the story is all about them overcoming those things. I've been threatened with concequences, but nothing can stop me from my art. You really just can't be intimidated. I've taught myself that no one can stop me from creating, therefore I'm not afraid of anything they can do. I pay for my dolls and my materials so they can't take them away or prohibit me from having them. There's really nothing they can do.

11. If you still live in their house why would you want to make your parents uncomfortable just to make your point? How obnoxious and incredibly insensitive.
      A true artist learns to work with limitations. Even each medium has it's limitations.
      It really does not matter about who's paying for it. You should care about people's feelings more than indulging yourself. Being an artist does not mean being a selfish brat.
      You make me think of what King Lear said to Cordelia about how sharper than a serpent's tooth, referring to the pain caused to a parent by an ungrateful child. Shame on you. You're right, no one can stop you, you should stop yourself. I am just shocked with the pleasure you get from making the people closest to you uncomfortable "There's really nothing they can do". Shame.

12. Who or what limits your creativity? Why?
      I limit my creativity by being lazy :lol: Sometimes I like to blame it on money, but I know deep down inside that if I put in enough effort I could make most of the things I want or fix the problems I have with very cheap fixes - camera crappy in low light, so get a new lamp, that sort of thing.

I'm kind of meh about it all really. Sometimes I get frustrated with the ruts I get stuck in, so I leave my dolls alone for a while and then ideas will start popping up. I guess everyone would like more money to follow their creative pursuits, but an abundance of money doesn't equal creativity.

No. There's nothing bad that could happen that I can think of, unless I loosened my purse strings a whole lot and wasn't able to pay bills or something hahaha. But I couldn't let something like that happen anyway - I live very much in a necessities first, fun stuff second manner.

I don't think people could ever limit my creativity. Even if I lived in a situation where I wasn't allowed to portray certain things, I'd still be able to find acceptable methods of expressing my creative self - one's ability to create is unlimited, touchy subjects can always be left til a time where it can be pursued without making people uncomfortable. I'd hate to knowingly make people I live with uncomfortable with my self-expressions.

13. I can't generally answer those questions because I'm an adult and though I live with my parents, we practically don't live in the same house. (Boyfriend and I have one side, they have the other.) I also don't have a doll just yet. THOUGH I had a little bit of a run in with a similar situation upon chosing a doll.
      There was a doll I was thinking about getting for a while (Freya B&G 62CM with tan skin, but I'd get it without tan) that has pictures of him holding a cigarette, and my mom saw it and was all.
      *FROWN.*
      So yeah, it was kind of irritating. She was like THE CIGARETTE RUINS IT BLARGARG.
      She didn't go on about it though, it was just kind of irritating. Like she seemed as though she didn't understand that you could just remove the cigarette or whatever, lmao.

14. Trust me Harlebist, it's not just your Mom. I work in the film business and we are always careful how we present options to the powers that be, as most people just can't visualize what isn't right in front of them.
      And you can also just assume that in Mom's subconscious what most likely happened is dolls = what my kid likes, so therefore my kid likes the smoking doll, my kid's going to die from lung cancer. Trust me, this is how a parent's mind works. It's all about survival of the species, if you are a parent you instinctively want to protect your child. And sometimes you act like a dumba**. It's not our fault, it's nature.

15. ^This, I agree.

16. As a mother, I can 100% see Stella Maris's point. Even though we know that our children's barbie's slutty clothes, their friend's poor choice in boys, their favorite TV show's drug use does NOT mean that our child will follow those examples we can't help that the first image that pops into our minds when we see these unfavorable activities is our child, in the future, partaking. Sometimes when my daughter herself, calls me out on my paranoia I see how unreasonable I am being, and what an intelligent child I really have.

17. I really didn't mean it to sound that way. I read over what I'd wroteand I'm honestly shocked that I wrote it.
      I do the things to my dolls that my parents don't like because it's important to get my point across. They don't understand that the story isn't about drugs and mental problems and self injury, it's about overcoming that. It's meant to show how peolpe get over the things that hold them back. And that is why I do it despite my parent's wishes. I'm not trying to make them uncomfortable or be selfish, or trying to hurt anyone. And it's not that I get pleasure from their discomfort, but I'm not going to let them keep me from doing what want to my doll without even taking the time to listen to why I want to do it.

18. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

When i was younger i felt alot that the way one of my parents reacted when i tried to express interest or love for something creative very stifling.
      I think then it was just hurt that i didn't feel i had the support i wanted that repressed my creativity at that point in my life.
      But around 15 or so i hit a rebellious independent streak and found that other people opinions of what i wanted to do stopped mattering to me.

Nowadays it's more personal problems, like that i've injured my back and it's been a slow recovery. I also can't sew lying down, I'm sure i could if i tried but it gives me a headache. Which is a problem since with my back i can't sit up at the sewing machine for hours at a time like i used to XD
      But as stated above, it used to be a parental problem.

Yes to the personal problems, and it already stopped with my parental person.
      When i hit a certain limit of the negativity, i eventually stood up for myself. This is something that i think is a right of passage, when you finally assert yourself as a capable, grown person.
      If i were you i'd try and explain to your mother that the way she reacts so strongly, like what you doing is wrong, hurts you alot and makes you feel as though you can't express yourself, be calm and reasonable, and mature.
      Maybe she'll see that what your doing isn't so bad. Try pointing out the specifics of why you want to do what you want to do, or maybe even show her some very lovely and expressive photos with a similar theme.

No, i don't think i've feared consequences of my actions since i was a child. Though i suppose it would depends on the situation. If it was just that my parents would send me to therapy for fear i've lost my mind, i'd probably jump right into it. A therapist can tell the difference (usually) between expression and insanity. And i believe that if i just explained it to them rationally they'd probably tell my parents i'm fine.

19. Well.. Yes and no. When I want to go to my sewing room and try to create costumes for a doll I don't yet have, my companion is always coming back and forth from my room to the sitting room asking when I'll come out and play World of Warcraft with him. In the end it's my decision which hobby to further, but it's hard to stay engaged in this pastime when your only friend doesn't understand BJD's nor has any interest in it.

20. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Yes. Though not in a totally suppressive type of way.

Society in general. When I mod or paint a doll in a particular way, and I take them into public (heaven forbid), I do find it disheartening when they aren't accepted, or people turn up their noses in disgust, like I purposely put hooves on my Chalco to offend them in public. And my mom. She finds it weird that I want to paint/own dolls in general, so when I paint them up in a particular way, and she asks if I'm "ruining" the doll, I get offended, like she thinks I don't know what I'm doing.

It makes me feel offended by my mom, as I do a lot of research before I do/use stuff on the dolls, and I do know a lot about how to take care of them. The fact that mom thinks I'm always redoing them is a little upsetting as well. She can't tell the difference between my Morant, Chalco, the MNM Vincent head that's visiting, and my Aphan. Unless they're all out on the table, she thinks I'm still painting the same one! Heck yeah, I want it to stop. Do I think it will? Not hardly...
      Ican shrug off the people in public. THey really don't bother me, except when they come up to me and make snide remarks about them. I did have one group (while wearing sunglasses indoors in a Walmart at 9:30 at night with the tags still on) that made remarks about "Don't you have like, a job, or something? Or real kids?" To which I responded "I can afford an $800+ doll. You can't even afford manners."

A little... I try to shrug it off, because I know I have bold ideas, and big plans, and most people just see the WIP, they don't see the finished product. ^^