1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Limit Your Creativity?

Feb 9, 2010

1. Of course not =)
      My mother is sometimes interested in my dolls, especially girls, and once or twice she tried to tell me something like "I don`t think this suits her" or "your make-up makes her look ill", but it`s my doll we are talking about, and me is the one who paint her, play with her, take pictures of her)
      I can listen to someone`s oppinion, but I`ll take a decision by myself, no matter, if other people like it or not.)
      They understand that my doll is not me, in fact, and if there is a photo of my doll with a cigarette, it means nothing at all. =))

2. As a younger collector, I'm often limited by my parents. =A= I'm a yaoi and yuri fan, but they find that sort of thing creepy and so I had to give up with trying to get my future girl doll a girlfriend :| Money also does, haha, nice affordable lolita clothing is hard to find when you're not old enough to get a job...

3. in my case, it would be time = =|||
      I am a college student, it would be irrational if I have too much time to spend on my dolls........
      money is more or less in my case, too... but as long as I have time, I can create everything I want~

4. I think mainly money, and my own personality restrict me a little >.< I think money is an issue for a lot of people these days, dolls being such an expensive hobby and all! xD
      But if i get down about something, it can totally crash my creativity...for AGES. Like recently, i lost two very dear family members, my granddad and my five year old nephew...both were so important to me, now i can't draw anything properly, the only creative thing i've been able to do is sew...luckily it's something useful for my dolls.
      That sounds really awful, about your mum not letting you pose your dolls or mod them in the way you want...it's not like you're going to start suddenly copying your doll! I hope that maybe she will come round if you talk to her about it, try explaining that it's not something that you are interested in doing yourself, you merely want to broaden your horizons and explore different personalities, maybe she will change her mind?
      Good luck <3

5. Haha, I'm not even sure that my mother will let me buy a doll, even if I do pay for 100% of it (which I plan on doing)...

6. This. I'm too young for a job and all, so saving up the money already takes a long time, so it's harder when my parents aren't so into the idea of these dolls. ("Waste of money, apparently" :|)

I can think of several things that would limit my creativity, though my parents and money come to mind first. More specifically my parents. Money too, but I don't think it would be too hard for me to save up since I tend to limit the amount of excess things I buy for myself, even when I'm not trying to save money for something. I don't go out shopping much, nor do I go to the movies often for example, so it's more of a question of whether I'm patient enough to save up what I need. As far as parents go however, they've essentially told me that I'm not to "waste my money" on dolls.

As for whether I want these limitations to stop, for money I guess I can feel that it's worth saving up, even though I'd like to be able to get a job at some point, not only to fund a hobby but just to put into savings in general. But no, I wouldn't want it to "stop" altogether, in the sense of meaning unlimited funds, just because I enjoy knowing that some work actually went into acquiring something, dolls or other. I would, however, like my parents to be maybe somewhat more liberal. At the same time though, I respect their opinion, so I don't think I'd do anything overly rebellious as a way to make my point known. I don't have a problem with letting them explain their aversion to dolls, because there's probably some validity in what they have to say. Not to mention I'd feel terrible if I were a brat about the whole thing. Rationality is a better approach, in my opinion.

7. Hm. I don't feel particularly limited in my creativity -- in fact, my mother encourages my creativity. We're rather free spirits when it comes to art and such xD

The only thing I feel limited about is.. well, to be honest? My doll's sexuality. It's more fear (of disapproval) than anything else that limitates me. My first doll is designed to be bisexual, with a girlfriend for her following along (once I get the first one and save up for the gf, haha). I'm actually a little afraid that my mother might figure out the whole "girl love" scenario that will be going on, and maybe be a little creeped out and disapprove of my girls, for whatever reason. Though I doubt she would. But, it's just an irrational fear that I have ._.;
      I'm also afraid of doing "sexy" (like, lingerie) photoshoots of my girls, for the same reason xD
      Though, that's just MY fear limitating me. It's not an outside force.

Other than that? The only things limiting my creativity are resources, my ability to fashion things (clothes, props, etc.), and my own laziness. Oh! And my not being able to drive (to get to some nice scenery), or bring my dolls out into public without feeling all jittery >_>

ETA; I forgot to say, I think it's really terrible how your mother is just squishing your creativity like a bug under her heel! He is your doll, not her's; you should be free to do as you like. If you want to tattoo him, pierce him, sand down his nose, give him elf ears, dye him blue, etc., you should be able to do that! It upsets me to see creativity bound like some sort of animal in a cage ;^; I'm so very sorry that she's trying to limitate you like that.

8. The only thing that limits my creativity is my own horrible tendency to procrastinate until the cows come home. If left to my own devices I would probably browse the internet forever. It drives me crazy sometimes.

9. I feel bad that you. All you want is to make your doll different than other dolls. It seems like your Mom just doesn't like Tatoos. She probably is thinking that you will ruin the doll. Show her other dolls that have tatoos and any that came with a tatoo. All you are trying to do is make an image for your doll. Maybe the small things like making cigerettes you should keep hidden, like in a Barbie case. It wouldn't hurt to just make things and not even mention them to your Mom. Would you tell or ask her about making him socks, probably not. Good luck.

Is you creativity limited by someone or something? ......No

Who or what limits your creativity? Why?.....I'm an artist and the sky's the limit.

How do you feel about this and do you wish it to stop?

EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity? Just after getting married I did my first painting on a wall. Hubby fliped out. He grew up in a narrow minded non-artistic family. When we went to build our first home not long after our marriage, he said that no paintings on the walls. HA! Like that would stop me. He went to play golf all day and I painted away. He didn't like it until everyone else did. He likes my art he just rather me drive a nail in the wall than paint the wall.

10. I am also young and am fairly new to the hobby (2 years about) I do my own faceups, and I am happy with the results (most of the time :P )

A few months back, I had someone totally abusing my socks off, "YOU ARE KILLING YOUR DOLLS BY USING SHARPIES"

I was DISGUSTED because I would NEVER use anything that is not resin-safe for my dolls. I may be new but I am not silly :P It didn't stop there, she kept abusing me about how terrible a job I did. I can take criticism fine, but this was beyond criticism haha

I have to say, the horrid things she said made me question my ability to paint and create. I lost a lot of motivation but at the end of the day, I am happy with what I created. :D

So I guess, if you really want to give your doll a tattoo, it should really be your choice :) I know going by your mother's rules is so important, but let her know that it is part of your dolls character to have one :3 hopefully she understands

My mum loves BJD's and is pretty much as excited as I am when a doll arrives :D
      ~Sarah V

11. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      Myself and my lack of money.
      Who or what limits your creativity? Why?
      I have a mood disorder that can often threaten to limit my creativity by sapping me of all my energy, so even when I have an idea, sometimes I just can't carry it out. As for money, well, what in the BJD world doesn't cost money?
      Of course! I would love to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and full of energy the whole time, but it's not going to happen, at least not any time soon. And we'd all love to have more money!
      EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      No. I don't really do things for the "sake" of creativity- I have an idea, I carry it out, I enjoy the result.

12. Just to answer the OP - (lol, I know it's late), parents have this curious way of protecting their children by denying any connection to bad things. One way of looking at it is that you must like xyz bad habit, to want to put it on your doll. I mean, to you (in general) it may seem stifling and mean, but it's them looking out for you.

Off topic story here, but I'm a bit of a pyromaniac. I like candles, and bonfires and incense and other burning things. So I collected a lot of lighters, because it's easier to light candles with. So it was a natural jump to cigarettes (there were lots of other factors too, but liking burning things definitely helped). So to me, it's not an 'underlying problem' of a parent, they're just looking out for you in their own way.

Does my family limit my creativity? They do tell me when I'm being a bit silly, and point out what's good/bad. But mostly it's my laziness that limits me - I go "Oh! SHINY THING I CAN MAKE STUFF WITH" then I buy it, and nothing happens :XD:

13. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

Yes. orz

My parental figures.

I hate it because they don't understand the hobby and why I love it. They don't even pretend to like them. My dad calls them junk... :(

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?

I'm 18, so I can really do whatever I want now without getting grounded or whatever, but I do feel a little awkward if my mom sees me blushing one of my boys' man-bits. And usually when her boyfriend is home I don't work on doll things because I have to go past him to go outside and seal what I'm working on. When I was working on Vulgar he asked some stupid questions about my blushing on his man-bits. I just don't need that kind of conversation. :\

14. my biggest limits are time and money.

and my mother ever time i get a good start she finds something that " you have to see" " or " show me how to"

15. YES and it sucks so bad! I want to take pictures of my dolls but I feel like an idiot photographing them in front of people. but i want to. My mother told me people will think i'm strange and don't even get me started on my father. but honestly i am becoming more of an I don't care what other people thing kind of person and i'm loving it, but i'm not 100% there yet :(

16. Seriously? No, but I imagine that there are things that I could really tick off my parents by doing...
      :sweat
      EDIT: Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?

Lol.
      No.
      If I had an idea, and was threatened with whatever, I'd do what I wanted and take the consequences. I'd rather know that I did what was best for me and enjoyed the heck out of it, than spend my life worried about offending people.
      When it comes to dolls, I will never put what other people want first.

17. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?

No one really, my hubbie's quite laid back about my crafting obsessions, he knows they keep me sane and on the straight and narrow and even offers to take me to craft shops and give me some cash to spend. The vast majority of my hobbies however I would hide from my mum or others who might make snap judgements or behave negatively.

I know you've probably figured this out by now but I can speak as someone who's been there, your mum's just from a different generation and she may have had lean times, parents are not always going to understand! I<3 My SD, hang in there, it'll take time but you'll justt get there more slowly. Course, it doesn't hurt to have a mum who wants you to pay for stuff yourself, save up and the like ;-)

I don't have the same amount of ready cash as I used to mostly 'cos I used to spend it all on stupid stuff due to my ilnesses, it was my stopgap when I felt down but I've learnt to save up for stuff, sell other stuff to pay for my hobbies or pay a set amount each week to allow me to get stuff, be it yarn, fabric or whatever. I'm lucky to have my support of my husband and keeping my parents and parents in law at arms length 'till I have the energy for 'em.

I have a friend whose hubby doesn't want her to spin or even knit in his presence, he claims the noise gets to him :( now that would drive me mental!
      Now that I no longer work and have not done so for quite a few years, I have my crafts to help when I've no energy for anything else so I'm much more limited by my condition than I am by external sources.

18. Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      In 3 days I will be a legal adult and I have never had my creativity being limited by anyone aside from certain art teachers in middle school and the beginning of high school. I never let that stop me and I continued to do what I wanted.

What you have to keep in mind is your mom helped you pay for your BJD and ultimately she is scared of you ruining it or falling into negative behaviors. You don't have to listen to her, so ultimately the only person limiting your creativity is yourself.

We are only limited by ourselves and we can choose to move forward or back away. It's all our choice.

Do you feel limited because of the consequences that may follow if you do something for the sake of creativity?
      I get scared to cut my dolls hair and a while ago I took my doll to a hairdresser's and she was a complete bitch to me about it. She made me feel horrible about wanting them to cut my hair. I went home and worked on it a bit more and I'll find someone else to cut it for me. There will forever be consequences that follow. You may give your doll a modification and lose resale value and such.

19. I don't really know if this can be counted as limiting creativity, but I think it applies.
      My boyfriend and I (who loves my dolls and has never said one negative thing about them before) were discussing the "when does a large collection become hoarding" thread, when he said "if you have more than five dolls, you have a problem, it's obsessive."
      This came as a complete shock to me, since I was planning on sometime in the future having maybe 6 or 7 dolls. So I asked him what if I had 6 dolls, and he replied "no, you absolutely don't need more than 5, it's a complete waste of money that doesn't need to be wasted."
      This actually hurt, since I've never considered a hobby that gives me so much joy a waste of money. He won't change his opinion on it either, so I don't know what to do about it. I just can't imagine limiting myself because someone says "no, you have enough now."

20. Ohh I'd love to answer this !

Is you creativity limited by someone or something?
      It used to be whilst I was being internet-stalked and likely still am. But as Kiyakotari cleverly stated"limitations are things we create ourselves, or things we accept from other people. If we refuse to accept limitations, then they don't hold us back", I have to strongly agree, that it is one of the main things I have learned from my horrid experience/s.
      I feared that my work would get stolen again, or rendered or copied. Now, I am able to distinguish the problem but not make it MY problem. I simply allow for those people to be as they are, and I do not let anything limit me, infact I let it remind me that I am doing rightly as I want to, at all times. A personal desired choice and I am fulfilling my creative needs too. Also, I have gained far better awareness of myself, which I owe most of my newly found faith to. :)

Negative weak souls that latch onto and feed on positive stronger souls. I'm not too fond of liars or people who cheat others of their creativity by spoiling and rendering their hard work. With collecting dolls and showing them off online, came the odd negative situations that you would have never otherwise been prepared for. So many scammers and liars, cheating others through using this hobby in vain.
      As for why, I would never truly know their side for why but I do I realise that I am at fault too as I allowed for that to occur. I gave them more power than what they originally had, however coming to realise that, I suppose I took it right back. :)

I used to feel very disheartened about this and wanted it to stop so much. I couldn't understand how an individual could indulge so much of their own time in following another for negative intentions or cheating another out of $$, copying other's work etc.
      But self realisation very much swept over me and changed my life forever in all areas, not just this hobby.
      I realised that the minute I want for something to stop, I can change that all by myself. Goodness, if only had I known it sooner !

The consequences only came from a fear I built up from my immensely negative past experiences. So therefore, I also have control over what I allow for the consequences to be. Believe me, I feel refined and stronger than ever... more creative than ever. :D
      To others, I may seem more 'private', but actually... I'm absolutely celebrating my new-found knowledge of self.

Thank you !