1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does becoming a "crazy doll lady/person" concern you?

Nov 1, 2015

1. I had BJD fever before I met my fiancé, and at first I wondered what he'd think of it. I did worry he might think I was crazy. But he bought me doll shelves and built me doll shelves and before I broke my camera, he used to go with me to parks to take photos of them. I've never felt like the stereotype, yet his aunt with a living room full of porcelain dolls behind glass thinks I'm nuts for having dolls I change and photograph. In the end, I can't care. My hobbies don't hurt anyone, and they make me happy, so that's that.

But...Maybe there is a line for the sake of comfort. I found that I did indeed have a limit to how many dolls I could actually handle and keeping the ranks within that limit just helped.

OP, I hope you can find the peace not to worry too much about what other people think of your pursuits and can be happy with your hobby. I can't offer much advice, but I have confidence you'll be fine.

2. Some of my friends definitely think it's a bizarre hobby and they just don't comment on it at all. Whenever I've made a tentative mention of my dolls they've just not reacted in any way. So I do tend to keep it a secret from most people as the likelihood of bumping into another BJD enthusiast isn't very high. However, I don't really care about people judging me, I just hate being met with those pointless silences. If other people have hobbies I'm not interested in I at least try to ask them questions about it so that they can talk about what excites them.

As far as my own self esteem goes, I don't worry about my interest in dolls. They're pretty and give me a creative outlet - there's nothing wrong with that. I'm more likely to become a fanatic old cat person :XD: In all seriousness though, creative play is for all ages, not just children. I will never understand people who have to cut the joy out of their life to feel like a competent member of society.

3. Nope.

My house is full of dolls, I bring dolls to work with me most days. I've collected dolls and bears for as long as I can remember. Anyone who knows me knows about the dolls.

Teddy

4. I don't see why you can't have a mature, elegant lifestyle and still collect dolls.
      If someone is so hung up about what you are interested in doing in your private life that they treat you badly over it, they are probably not worth associating with beyond the bare amount required (ie if at work, etc).
      I think most people would view them as just one of many facets of your life (and many people we consider 'elegant' have pretty interesting or strange hobbies).
      Further, doll collecting, as has been mentioned before, is one of the most common hobbies. As long as your collecting does not interfere with your ability to function, there isn't an issue. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably has issues of their own to deal with and that isn't your responsibility.
      Though I would suggest introducing guests/friends slowly to your collection, as a fear of dolls is pretty common.

As far as displaying them, do what works for you and make use of your space. If you think having them all on one shelf or in one room is overwhelming, scatter them around. If you like sets, make little dioramas for them. Feel free to dress them up in seasonal or holiday clothing if you like that idea. If you are worried too much about what guests would think, pack them up (or put them in a different room) for the visit.
      You'll figure out what works best for you over time. It may take a bit so be easy on yourself, but you'll get there.

I am a musician. I play video games, I skateboard. I also collect plushies and BJDs.
      Am I seen as the crazy guy with dolls? Not that I know of.
      I may not talk about the dolls to everyone, but I spend more time enjoying my hobbies than I spend worrying about what irrelevant people would think of them.

5. To be totally honest, I think I'm already there.

6. InkyBear, I think Cynthia in FlintHills put it the most eloquently. When you're in your twenties and still trying to find your place in the world and juggling responsibilities you've probably never had before, it's easy to be swayed by external forces. While it's not always a bad thing to look for guidance from others (though hopefully these are people you trust), also keep in mind what you want/need. There really isn't a straightforward or right way to becoming a functioning adult, so give yourself a little slack and have confidence that your interests are completely valid.

Kittzel also makes a very good point about how you present your hobby. It's basically faking confidence until you have it: if you act apologetic or ashamed, people will feel like they have a license to openly judge you; whereas if you act like it's perfectly normal and awesome, others will feel less confident about sharing their negative views, if they even have any.

Also, you might be interested to know that many of the world's most renowned designers (who generally aren't accused of being immature or un-elegant) played with dolls as a child and still do (though they might call it creative inspiration). I remember watching a video where the creative head of a major fashion house showed off his vintage Barbie and wardrobe with obvious pride and affection. Alexander Wang designs dolls in conjunction with Integrity-these dolls are geared solely towards adults; Karl Lagerfeld designed a Barbie that sold out pretty much immediately, and I have a feeling there were some pretty "elegant" people shelling out a pretty penny for it. I'm just saying there're probably people you admire (and might think project a very elegant presence) that collect dolls, and you just don't know it yet.

#46 xinwang, Nov 14, 2015
      Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    7. I am a crazy doll lady.

8. Not at all. I have loved dolls my whole life so far and will for the rest of it I am sure. It is part of who I am.

9. I am about 300% more likely to be a "crazy cat lady" than I ever would be a "crazy doll lady", so I've never even worried about. The important people in my life have no concerns with my hobbies (or my cats, for that matter), and they're the only ones whose opinion I'd care about. My mom, my grandmother, my husband, my friends - they all just want me to be happy and do what I enjoy. My best friend is the one who got me into BJDs in the first place.

10. Yes! But hey, if that's the way it's going to go, so be it. If you spend your life trying to maintain a facade for the neighbors, wow. What the heck kind of life would that be?
      I'd much rather be a CDL than a hoarder, or animal hoarder, or any other horrible thing ie. drug addict, Satan worshiper I could think of.

11. Everyone is entitled to collect what they like. My mom collects glass figurines her friend collects TYs my fiance collect monster high dolls for faceups. Me I collect cute things! I too am in my mid 20's and from one person to an other Im leaving you with this advice "do you booboo", if someone does not agree with your hobby thats okay! If they start poking fun at you Thats a different story. Surround yourself with positive people choose your friends wisely. I have a friend who used to collect porcelain dolls but when I told her about my new BJDs I just ordered she said she grew out of that phase which was followed by why do you collect what you collect? my response was "Its what makes me happy i enjoy this about the hobby just like how(insert her hobby here) Brings you joy" showing someone confidence in your hobbies or what you do gives you respect and admiration. now every time I visit her she asks if my dolls are here yet and shes really supportive even if its not her thing. And were still best buds. Give it a go step out of your shell and dont be afraid of what someone else may think because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they say, listen to you. Also, adulting is hard don't push yourself, at our age were not suppose to have all the answers we're still very new to the adult world. My mom said she didn't get it till she was in her late 40's lol

On an other note keep track of your collection and do some spring cleaning once in a while to prevent clutter there can be a balance with elegance if your space is tidy. =)

#51 Angels Rays, Nov 15, 2015
      Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    12. If you have no more space in your home to display your collections, then do not display them in your bathroom.

13. I have bjd and blythe and they are part of my bedroom decoration. I love it when I can look around and see so much beauty around me, it's awesome. I'm in mid twenties and I don't care what people would think of it. However I don't talk about them either, only to people I trust. So I guess I'm a bit insecure about it somehow.

If I'll become a crazy doll lady, ugh whatever so be it! Hahaha

14. Sounds wonderful to see your dolls before sleep.

15. concern me? I'd consider it more of a goal! :D I've always been eccentric though, I used to need to fit in and tried so hard during my elementary and early teen years but then I realized that it's my weirdness that I like. Sure, I enjoy having other people that also share my eccentricities with me but I definitely embrace it now. I am also in my mid-twenties.

16. No because it is one of many interests I have, I'm into my artwork, I like my music, I like anime and manga and I feel like doll collecting is in line with a lot of my interests and hobbies. I think I'm more likely to be known as a crazy creative.

17. I don't really care. If you're "weird," you're "weird" and thank god for internet because you will always be able to find your people hahahaha

.............and the enablers who talk you into even more dolls..... ;)

My dolls are just an extension of my creative endeavours anyway. I can sew, I can paint, I can make wigs and style hair, and I'm getting into hat making!

18. I'm probably already going to be a crazy cat lady, so why not take the title of a crazy doll lady too?

19. I'm not concerned at all.
      I really doubt that I'll ever get to the point of it becoming a real problem (although some people seem to think that by having one doll that was so expensive and buying her more than one outfit that I have already crossed that line).
      If someone has a problem with my doll hobby and/or any of my hobbies or me in general then they are more than welcome to stop associating with me.

20. Nope, I'm way past the point of no return on that one! I started making cloth dolls when I was 11 and have been known to be eccentric even before. Everyone who knows me beyond just meeting me is pretty aware of my craziness for random things. Most of my friends are so accepting of it, I often forget that it's considered strange.