1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does 'historical background' of a doll bother you.

Jul 1, 2011

1. Did you read what I wrote in after I saying that Korean were forced to do it? I understand that Date was also forced, but the difference is that he is made into a doll, Korean general who invaded Japan at that time is not.

I cannot respect the fact that some are saying that history doesn't really matter because doll is just for fun and I am ruining their fun. Because they are just seen ignorant to me.

I can't either see this as a Japanese point of view I'm sorry, knowing that they are people still not agreeing what they did in WW2 is totally outrageous and absurd, and what they did ... I out of words seeing them. I'm sorry that I am generalising a bit and I do know there are awake Japanese who want to make a difference, doing campaign and such to inform other people about what they did in past, but Japanese politicians are threatening them, and majority of Japanese people don't bother knowing uneasy fact what their grandfathers did. I can't just see bright side like many of them. Because I care what happened in past and believe that we should be aware.

I don't want to bring that long hatred history between Korea and Japan because it will be quite off topic. I'm sorry that I'm very tilted. I know I am. I can see many people saying there is no problem with it and they are fine with Date as a doll. I would be happy if I just can be acceptable as others, but knowing all the backgrounds ... ^^;;; I wonder if I let it just go what kind of doll will be out in future

2. ...Possibly because Volks is a Japanese company, not Korean, and neither Korea or the West are the markets they have in mind when they plan their releases?

That said, it would be awesome if Korean companies made dolls inspired by Korean history. Companies like Angell studio or Doll Leaves have done historic/ wuxia-style dolls, and they're also great. Bimong, for example, has created dolls like these for expositions, and it would be great to see more of that style.

3. So you're saying you can't see this from a Japanese point of view, but you expect the Japanese to see it from a Korean point of view?

Also, Japan's government not owning up to war crimes is not Volks's fault. Volks is just a group of artists who wanted to name one of their dolls after one of their country's heroes. It has nothing to do with the government or Korea.

4. sailorstarsun, so I said that it is something off-topic, I believe. I don't want it to sound like they are secretly brainwashing people with doll. Please do not exaggerate further from what I'm saying.
      And I don't want people to see it as Korean POV.

I think saying Hitler can be someone's hero is dangerous. it is out or range of 'freedom' as many countries claim. I know Australia doesn't approve of discrimination depends their nationality, and nazism will be strictly disapproved because Nazism comes from think of superiority of Norman heritage. Surprised too, that actually German are ashamed that they have made a mistake in past, but in fact some of not-German don't really care.
      And gay marriage will be totally different issue because we can live without one doll but people can't live without someone they love. it is more fundamental and basic right that should be provided to individual. They are quite different issue I believe. I don't think any of us will die if release of Date is canceled. It may sound harsh but that is true.

I'm saying is that it was maybe not sensible of Volks not realising some of people get offended. I don't blame Volks for war. Why would I in first place knowing they did nothing in war.

5. What seems to be happening here is that people are saying they understand why you're upset, and you have a right to be - but Japan also has a right to release a doll of Date if they want to. And you are repeatedly saying that those who disagree with you that it's outrageous are ignorant, which isn't very polite and is unlikely to get your point across.

I personally feel that it's fine and understandable to find the subject matter tasteless, and it would be really uncool of Volks to release it somewhere in Korea, but it's not reasonable to insist that they shouldn't release it. Like the way its "not ok" to depict certain religious figures because it will offend people - which I think is ridiculous. The fact is, all our histories are filled with blood and war atrocities, thats what the world used to be like.

*edit* i started this post before your response, and I hope I didn't offend you. And yes, some arguments are getting off-topic. However, I feel naziism and racism isn't a relevant comparison here, and we'd all be better off dropping it. Hitler specifically aimed to wipe out jews (and the disabled), if he had "only" invaded the rest of the world I think we would find him less horrifying.

6. There are things that can't be accepted. It is argued not just here but all over the world, as the maginot line gets thinner, or somewhat 'fader'. They are different to person, to person. I came to more accepting that it might be ok to some of us, knowing all history behind, and doesn't feel that extremely wrong, through reading this thread. Many of you showed what you think and it is good that we have different opinions. I learnt a lot that I didn't know too. I can also understand that some people feel it not that related to them, so I'm quite happy if they are aware of Date now, at least.

However, it is disturbing to see some of comments made. I didn't made people to 'can't strictly have that doll', have I. It is, I believe, within a range of freedom, to say it is uneasy to me to see Date as a doll. And that I'll be happy if it is to be thought again before buying Date. It is still a very right of you to buy a doll if you wish. I'm doing what I can to make people aware, and mailing Volks wouldn't be that extreme because Volks will do what they do whatever people saying to them anyway. It's customers' right to say what they think about their production. Not some Korean owners 'bossing' around.

7. I'm a bit confused as to what the objection here is... while the Hitler connection isn't apropos, I'm assuming it was brought up because of the great offense most take to idolization of such a person. But whatever atrocities committed against Korean people by Date Masamune, they by no means defined him, and his name is not synonymous with anti-Korean sentiment. I don't think any Japanese people are going to buy Date Masamune from Volks because they are racist towards Koreans.

I'm assuming the much more salient objection to making dolls of figures like Robert E. Lee and Hitler is that there are people who would buy such dolls for idolization purposes because to many their names are synonymous with racism. And in modern society encouraging or enabling that idolization is considered offensive and legitimate grounds for boycotting, but that doesn't seem applicable to me in this case. I'm pretty confident Volks doesn't carry anti-Korean sentiments, nor is there much of it in Japan nowadays. On the contrary there's quite a boom in love for Korean culture in Japan right now, as Korean dramas and pop idols are all over the TV and CMs these days.

And if the point is (as Rosemarygarden brought up with Hetalia) misinformation, I don't really see how that's possible with dolls. It's only revisionist if information is being provided, and as far as I can tell, and just releasing a doll with an outfit and a wig that doesn't even strike a realistic resemblance to the person in question isn't providing information. Also in the Hetalia situation, if the people saying that aren't joking then I highly doubt these are people who would ever bother informing themselves on accurate [or as close to accurate as one can be about something which is always recorded subjectively] history anyway. If people didn't know anything about Date Masamune and see his name on a doll, and then look up information about him, then they're probably reading more about it than they wouldn't have otherwise. If they don't look anything up on him, then they've just got a doll whose product name doesn't really mean anything to them, which seems harmless enough.

Ultimately, I don't really see any issue with putting the name on the doll. As mentioned, it was probably created for Sendai, but even ignoring that, putting a historical figure's name on something seems more for the purpose of generating a false sensation of real-world relevance. If someone released a doll with 18th-century French fashion and hairdo, how much better do you think that doll would sell if you called it Marie Antoinette instead of a random female name? While that may seem exploitative to some, to me there's only a real issue if it's encouraging some negative viewpoint. And at least in this case, I don't think it is.

8. Rosemarygarden Yes, I did read what you said after I posted because it actually took me a while to decide what to write. I think a lot of people's issues iare that your actions speak louder than your words. Spreading the idea that you personally feel that this doll is not okay, is a way of making another person feel bad about liking or wanting the doll. It's shaming to that person. That's the impression you are giving me. Personally, I feel even when you are talking about the doll, it's not really on topic of the debate you have started. The debate should be about whether the historical background of a doll is relevant. Not about what Japan did to Korea. Or what Germany did to France. Or what Bob did to Susie.

The fact that you've drawn in the comparison between Germany and Japan makes it seem to me like you have never properly studied post WWII history- or the Allied occupation of Japan or of Germany. It makes it seem like what you know is very much second hand and biased. Different powers made very different decisions about how to appropriately 'punish' the losers and they are still very much in effect today- please don't preach about how others should know or understand history- when you aren't showing a very good understanding of it yourself. Yes, I agree that the Japanese are at fault for various things and I wish they would do what they so obviously should do (and should have done)- but I've also had the chance to understand why they haven't- it doesn't make it right, it just makes it so. It's painful to see this simplification of history, when it's so much more complex than that. Probably just as painful to you as this doll is, and the apparent obscuring/simplification of its history.

Back on the topic- Lelei has excellent points that actually relate to the debate at hand.

9. Sorry, I've been watching this thread, but haven't responded yet; What does the Maginot Line have to do with the release of a doll of a Japanese historical figure?

I think you may have been onto a point here; That some people may find him offensive, but you lost all credibility immediately when instead of making tentative comparisons to other grey-area historical figures, you ran straight to comparing him to Hitler. There are plenty of historical (and semi-historical) figures whom one nation considers heroic and another considers to be a terrorist, fool or monster. Pretty much any revolutionary, for example.

As for whether or not Volks should make a doll of him - Volks make their dolls primarily for a market of collectors within Japan, with their international sales being basically a happy accident. Within Japan, he's a popular character, so it's no more shocking that there is a BJD of him than that he's available in UFO catcher machines, depicted as a plush cat.

Added a link of Masamune as a plush cat, because I know that someone is going to ask; http://rebeccainjapan2010.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/100_0988.jpg [Picture (C) Rebecca in Japan 2010, used without permission.]

10. Maginot line that they can accept this kind of doll or cannot? ^^;

I do agree I was wobbling here and there, and yes I'm not perfect with my reasoning. Maybe I was making people feel bad, making them to not buy that doll. Because that is what honestly I think. I wanted to calm down as it was valuable to know that people think it as a less concern to them. I can understand their opinion from their perspective. I am still disagreeing about that it isn't that affective to people to have manipulated ideas of history though. What I believe is that beautiful looking figure of Date might affect people's point of view on him, slightest difference at first can be huge in the end.

I'm just tired that in fact history is written by winners ^^;; ... I guess that's what's happening in real world even now and I have my lesson learned if I'm being 'over-sensitive' people think I'm the weird one. I was changed to more accepting side saying that it might be reasonable if it is not that related to you as an issue I think I can understand, but I still won't be one of that group. And I do put my ideas in words badly. Sorry about that.

11. Ahh. I've never heard of it used as a metaphorical device, apart from (strangely enough) in racist tirades against the Germans. Possibly that's just a usage local to the UK, Or even just to people that I associate with, but it understandably confused me!

I agree that seeing a beautiful representation of something can surreptitiously cloud one's judgement towards it, but when the thing in question is a person on whom the facts are readily available to anyone who cares to look them up, and that person lived several centuries ago, it's possibly less of an issue.

If you're worried about how clearly you're coming across (and I know how much of a pain it is not accidentally misrepresenting yourself on forums), consider writing your posts in a Word document, and reading them through a few times to check for coherency.

12. That one is tough...

In a way no amount of time can wipe a crime that has been committed and yet time separates most people from the feelings of resentment towards certain people. Who didn't love hearing about Julius Caesar in school? The man was a Roman genius! And then when you get older you realize the only reason why he made Rome so great was by enslaving people and stealing natural resources from many nations. Think of any great nation or leader and I bet you can attribute their greatness to the amount of bloodshed they caused. Heck, even honest Abe made his message through war. Not that I'm saying there wasn't a valid point I'm just saying look how he "fixed" the situation.

On a totally random sidenote... Gosh I wish we would evolve already! Hate, greed... we are no better than the people watching gladiators kill each other. Even to this day we still have bullfighting and public executions. Really? Really people, you want blood that bad? Just look at how many people will slow down just to see an accident on the highway. It just makes me sad and mad. :doh :( :vein

PS - someone mentioned Hitler dolls. Oh no. Never fear. They exist already! *rolls eyes* sigh
      Action Figure?
      [​IMG]

13. Tessalina, wow ... does it really exist already? I am speechless x.x

14. I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about this character but surely the reason behind Volks making this doll will have a lot to do with him being seen as a great national figure in Japan, and nothing at all with how he is seen in Korea. I am British, Welsh to be precise and these Islands have a long and bloody history of brutality and injustice of each wave of invading populations against those who already lived here. Those conflicts are so deep rooted that many people still cannot let them go, which has given rise to Welsh and Scottish nationalism and most devastatingly The Troubles in Ireland. To my mind there comes a time to put all these things behind us and see historical figures as just that.

I just read Tessalina's post and (after gagging at the picture) I wanted to add something. I recently watched a documentary about Boudicca, She is a National Heroine and I have always thought of her that way too. She stood up to the might of Rome and was a feminist long before anyone had thought of that phrase. Watching the documentary, seeing the few charred remains of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of innocent people she slaughtered and burned to death in her rage.... well, you realise that history is brutal. Those people weren't just Romans, very few of them were in fact, her armies killed far more indiginous Britons who were trying to make the best of life under Roman occupation.

So, do I feel that the many statues of Boudicca should be torn down? Do I feel that her figure should be removed from our coins or that she should no longer be seen as a Great British Icon? No, no more than I blame Italians for what the Roman Empire did to my ancestors many centuries ago, but I do now see that nothing is simple. As someone has mentioned before, one man's hero/Heroine is another's villain. Japan has recently suffered devastating loss on a scale I cannot imagine and if Volks feel bringing out a doll based on an admired Japanese historical figure will help swell national pride, surely the people of Korea can have enough compassion to let something that happened 400 years ago lie?

15. I'm worried that my opinion might be seen as Korean's opinion, because surely it is not ^^;; remember I'm not even proper Korean clear about one's own history.

I agree nationalism should be avoided. I'm also aware of recent disastrous loss of Japan. But ... it is questionable to me that resurrecting national pride is needed, even before resolving ongoing problems with leakage of radioactive we have to face and do something right now (and it is bit late already) ...

16. Volks can't help with the radiation -- they can't, even if every one of their workers walked off the job and volunteered to assist they would not be permitted to help with that issue. They can produce dolls. To say they should not do the latter until the former is addressed is not at all fair.

17. I am not asking Volks to do such huge job, which should be done by the government. I don't think that my comment is that unfair though.

Again it's just matter of you see a person as evil, or hero. I can't let go and will not let go of history aspect of Japan did to Korea, because it is a fresh wounds and I did not hear after this long time how Japan have made good of them after it. But it is just me. It is out of reach to know every historical figures in past like the example of Boudicca mentioned, I didn't know her at all, but if I have before, I would've though it would be uncomfortable. Possibly.

18. What you are saying is that 'national pride' should come after the fix of radiation leaks. One is done by the government. The other is done by absolutely anyone in the country who feels like doing it. They have nothing to do with each other unless you feel the government should stop people from doing things that might be said to foster national pride until that matter is addressed.

We are talking about what Volks is doing. It can be seen as a matter of national pride, and the government has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Should they not be permitted to do so until the radiation problem is fixed? That is what you appear to be saying.

19. National pride should be carefully put. I'm not saying that national pride of one's nation is not allowed to some countries. I don't have right to say that.
      But there were many other ways to do. What I'm saying is that they should more face the fact of dangerousness than burying their heads into sand.
      And again, I doubt that Date is so related to the earthquake disaster happened recently, and doubt Volks was heavily considering that. As a company, they would be more chasing their profit. And going back to topic, I'm repeatedly saying it is bit uneasy to see Date as a doll, made and sold because they want to make profit, brushing off might-be-offensive factors for some.

20. By this logic, we should never make a doll of any historical figure. One man's hero is always another man's villain. I, for one, would love a Boadicea doll, since she's such a national icon. I can imagine people wanting a Napoleon doll, similarly, or a doll of Lenin. All pretty divisive figures. What about dolls of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette? They'd fit in perfectly with a lolita-esque scheme, and are generally viewed as being harmless to idolise, but they were the absolute pinnacle of decadence in France at the time, and it could be said that their profligate natures left their subjects to starve.

And don't underestimate how much the earthquake has subtly changed things, within Japan. Half the people I know have lost a family member, or knows someone who does; Volks isn't some kind of monolith, utterly divorced from humanity, there's individual people who work there, and no doubt some of them have been personally affected by the Tohoku earthquake. I'm not saying that they made a Date doll specifically because he's so closely related to Sendai, but he may have been (consciously or not) closer to the forefront of people's minds than usual, when thinking about historical figures that could be made into dolls.