1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does practicality influence your doll choices?

Apr 21, 2010

1. To some extent. I'm mostly interested in SDa because I mainly want dolls to sew for them, and since I've got a background sewing for humans small scale intimidates me, though I'm looking into getting a tiny for my next on, go figure.

I also lovelovelove the SOOM mecha angels, but they're just so huge. I do find the larger size appealing, but then I start to think and it sounds crazy. Where would I put a doll that size? What would I do with it? It'd almost come up to my hips!

2. Oh, of course practicality enters into it all. Unfortunately for me, that's not all that influences my decisions! Sometimes I just WANT--no matter how impractical some things are!!!

But things I (sometimes) consider are:
      1. Money. If the doll is just way, way too expensive (like several thousands of $$$), I'm pretty sure I'll consider it out of my league. And if I simply don't have the money at the time and it's limited, I know that I can't buy it. I won't go and buy something cheaper just because, though! I'll keep the money around until there's something I really can't live without...

2. Size. Used to matter more than it does now... but it's still there. I liked Large-sized dolls because there used to be more clothes available for them way back when... but now I don't care so much. I used to want to keep to one-sized doll so they could share clothes and wigs, but now I don't care so much. I used to avoid larger than Large-sized because they had less clothes and didn't match my other dolls, and couldn't share clothes so much, and Large size was already big enough to carry about... but as more and more dolls have gotten larger, I've caved in... !!! I don't have MSDs for the reasons above. I liked large and tried to keep to that. I did cave in for some Tinies--some of their clothes are hard to find in various styles, so I don't have as much fun with them. They ARE easier to haul around with me, though!

3. Clothes available. That was a big deal back when I was actively thinking I would only have one or two dolls. Now I don't mind so much if I have some dolls that are harder to fit and find stuff for...

4. Space available to keep your dolls. Well, this is important, but I usually ignore it. It does keep me from thinking that I can buy an unlimited amount of dolls (that and finances even more, keep my collection from being crazy-big).

5. Resin color. Also something I usually ignore. I have a ton of BW dolls and just love colored resins. I haven't had a tan doll because early on there were really bad color changes on some of those. But I'll not rule it out for me some day. I have tried to avoid French Resin because of yellowing problems... but I've got to colored Bambicronys that have shifting colors and F.Resin... *sigh* So far they haven't changed drastically, but it's only a matter of time, I think! I actually keep them stowed away whenever possible. Which I hate doing! But I just love weird colors and don't really care for "normal" dolls, so I will just risk it most of the time and hope for the best....

6. General quality and trust in the company. This plays a part in my decisions. I want a doll that won't be easily broken or have too many flaws or too many posing issues (but hey, I have CPs that are hard to pose without kicky legs, so I can stand quite a few flaws!). And I will try to buy from companies and sellers who are trustworthy, since it's a lot of money to be throwing around. If I can take the time to make sure of quality and trust-worthiness, I will. But if I love the doll enough, I may take the risk...

3. Well, I don't always care about size that much. The only reason I'm not into tinies is probably because I don't have any fitting characters, and the only reason why I don't have the super huge dolls (I so deeply want a MA ..) is because I don't have the money right now.

Weight is not a problem either, I like heavy dolls. I noticed this with my Limho Mono; really, he's too light for me to enjoy carrying him around. Might sound a little weird, but it always makes me feel like I could crush him. Never happens with my 60 cm doll.

The only thing I really consider when purchasing, practicality-wise, is resin color. I despise french resin, really. Not entirely because of the heavy yellowing I've seen on quite a bunch, but also because I just don't like how it looks. Too translucent for my taste.
      Or white skin. My newest boy's a good example. I've had this character's doll form planned out for months, for months! And he was supposed to be normal skin until about 2 days before I placed my order, because I realized that I only wanted him in NS so he wouldn't yellow that fast. It would not have suited the character at all (vuuumpire, booohoo) so I just ordered him in white skin now, whether I'm concerned about discolorations or not.

Plus, all the dolls from the same company I've seen so far, that had yellowed to a noticeable degree already, looked seriously gorgeous, if I'm honest. I'm semi-looking forward to my boy turning that color.
      Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna leave him out in sunlight or anything. I'll protect him like the rest of the crew, it's just that I know that if he yellows faster than my other dolls, he's probably at least end up being a skin color that works even better for the character, because it looks kinda unhealthy - just like someone who hasn't seen sunlight in ages - but not like a lemon.

4. Oh for sure. I have so much doll "stuff" from the various sizes and body types I have owned and sold. Now I won't buy a doll unless I know I already have things that fit, or that I know for certain I am going to want more than one of the same type so they can share items. While I loved my SD size dolls, I eventually sold them because for me, half the fun of having my dolls for me, is for photoshoots, and they were too impractical for me to handle much.

5. Not many "practical" thought on my side, but I'm also new, so maybe they will come... with the time. When considering the size, I'm only thinking about geting doll in standard size, to prevent problems with buying fitable clothes later, but currently I'm in the "the bigger the better" phaze. I'm lucky to have enough space for them, so I find 60-70 cm perfect (I'm pretty tall myself, maybe that's why :sweat), the weight also isn't a problem. Resin colour... Maybe a bit. I prefer natural looking shades myself, even if I admire other peoples WS or tan dolls. Resin kind - no. I already decided for two dolls made from French.

6. When considering on actually buying a doll (and not just putting it on my wishlist!) I definitely think on how much money I'm going to be spending at once, or over the course of a few months. Example being the Souldoll Centaur Chiron that I've been lusting after since I first saw him. Souldoll has a layaway plan for him, but even so, we're talking $1300+ over the course of two months. Maybe that doesn't quite go into practicality, but just me being cheap, I dunno.

As far as clothing goes, I'm forced to be practical. I'm not in charge of finances, and my girlfriend is insistent on making everything for your own doll, no matter what.

7. I don't think it really comes into play much at all when buying dolls. I have a number of white skinned dolls (but then, yellowing doesn't bother me - none of them have aged to a colour I dislike), all of them are various sizes from various companies, and I prefer for each of my dolls to have a different style so not many of their clothes are interchangeable anyway.

8. I got a 70 doll without really realizing he was a 70. My sense of practicality is screwed, because the verdict? I still have him. XD Plus until I get a carrier from Iplehouse or something he's either going to have all his joints bent reeeally uncomfortably just to fit into my Luts Delf bag or I'm going to carry him right out there in my arms--which I've always done, anyway, pfft. /flexes muscles

I'm looking to get a MSD now, firstly 'cuz I have so many MSD clothes--and I never had one in the first place /win--and all my closer doll friends have them and they are so. Much. Lighter. Than. My. Stupid. Boy. I always have to pause after putting down Dante and carrying one of theirs 'cuz chances are I'd pick them up too fast and they might risk falling from the higher centre-of-gravity, heh.

9. yes of course.....for example I will not buy any doll shorter than 20 cm , as I know I will surely lose them or threw it to somewhere and I can never find them again , I just good at losing things OTL

10. I somewhat consider practicality. First I have to have the money for it, then I have to be able to make a character for it, then I consider "is this a one-shot character, or someone that will fit in permanently?". On top of all that are the other practical considerations like: Can I afford or do I already have clothes for it? How easy are clothes to find (since I don't sew well)? Where will I PUT it? (I have mostly minis who live in a shelving unit and desperately need more chairs. I have one SD size body only, partly because that's ALL I have room for at the moment!) I also find body sharing to be a practical way to have more of my characters here at once. If they aren't going to need to appear together in photos they can share a body to start out with. If they stick and are an important character I'll save up and get them a body of their own later, if I like them but don't love them and do much with them, their body gets lower on the priority list. Minifees are GREAT for that.

11. Practicality influences my choices greatly. I wish I could say that it wasn't in terms of finances, but that is a large impact on my choices. I have mental price limits for each size doll and I generally always opt out of face-ups since I have the materials to do my own (and why wouldn't I? The customization of this hobby is the best part!).
      Out of the financial scope, I stick with the smaller dolls. I'd never go larger than an MSD at this point in my life due to living space. I also have been very lucky that all the Yo-SD's I like can share clothing, which is another practical choice I made without meaning to. Resin color, I try to stay away from colored resin because I do my own face-ups and I'm not quite skilled enough to attempt a colored resin face-up.
      When I pick the doll I over-analyze everything about it. Body, face, etc, etc to make sure there is lasting power there and if I -really- want it, and it's not just some kneejerk reaction.

12. Yes.
      Money being the number one issue of course.
      But I have also swore off Large size dolls early on because I don't have the space to keep them.
      I've also decided against buying some dolls after I found out how hard it can be to cloth them. If I can do it over again I would not have bought a Pipos Cheshire because of that issue. (well but since I have him already and I <3 him).

I've always found that I have liked smaller dolls just for taking around for photos. Or pocket a Puki with me to work. Wouldn't be able to do that with a larger doll without some advanced planning.

13. Yeah, I would have to say that the desire to be practical is always there.. i just dont always listen to it ^^;;
      Money and space are the big road blocks for me but neither have stopped me yet! I buy dolls according to what I want ex "I want a cute girl that i can dress in frilly clothes" or a girl that I can make all out bombshell sexy. So I find the sculpts I want and make stories for them. money is always an issue but thats what saving is for... so with enough perseverance i intend to get all of the dollies on my wishlist one day XD

14. I have a rather small apartment myself, but I allow the dolls to take over my space, so that isn't an issue for me. ^_^;; My dream doll is a 70cm tan that I have pretty much determined is far too big and is never going ANYWHERE, but even so I feel like I must have him. ^_^; So I guess I'm just not a practical person at all. Money is the only thing keeping me from being overrun by resin friends.

15. *nods to above comments regarding space, finances, poseability, resin, reputation and character*

Space or size, a combo there alright, while it'd be nice to get a SD doll with insanely detailed everything, I imagine it'd feel weird and very cramped. MSDs seem very handy in size, yet the YoSD/tinies are overall easier to find stuff to (whether it's furniture or other accessories), although perhaps not when it comes to clothing. Then again, one could argue whether sewing is easier for MSD dolls than for Tinies. I'm not too discouraged if there's not enough clothing for a specific doll/model, I'm more likely to rub my hands and cue the Frankensteining..

Price or budget, some dolls just feel way out of my league finanically and I can't justify spending this and that, especially if living on noodles for a month or some such. Yet, finding that one doll that fits this and that, gets a lot more challenging this way, with all parametres that need to click.

Reputation, of companies or just in general about a specific doll model etc does play a part too. If I love certain aspects of a doll, looking up hybridisation options will likely also affect my outcome, even if I sometimes may be too stubborn/daring for my own good.

Poseability certainly is appealing, not just because of poses and aesthetics overall, but for smoothness when taking on and off clothing. And because the doll feels more "complete", more thought through, more uh real.

Resin miscolouration, I've not worried extensively over, save for perhaps dolls that I'd rather stash indoors 24/7, that I'd really like to keep as is for as long as possible. But those that I do bring out to fiddle and handle, I've calmed down about. First I actually imagined white cotton gloves and the whole shebang, to really be carefully, but that has changed. Maybe this laid-back attitude will change once I find out just what faint summer sun might do to a doll though, with good realistic poseability.

Although lastly, characterisation!
      If I haven't got the feel for the character I am trying to find a base for, I'll mostly ogle dolls for the heck of it, not really because I'm interested in an own doll of this and that sort and make.

16. No, I don't think so. "Practicality" always makes a brave attempt to make its whiny naysaying little voice heard.... But in the end, I never listen. I must have the doll I love, regardless of whether it's an easy one to shop for, store, handle, etc. I don't buy a doll if it's anything less than Love; however, Love doesn't give a rat's ass about future clothing supply or shelving space.

I don't require my dolls to fulfill hugely utilitarian purposes, anyway. I like to look at them & play with them.

Dolls are, empirically, impractical things to begin with. A Mecha Angel is 80cm tall, fachrissakes. That is stupid tall. This thing is the dominant centerpiece of my whole living room. Is that practical? *pffft* no. But merely looking at him there every day, it thrills me down to my spinal-cord.

You would be surprised how many SD-plus-sized dolls can fit in 1 tiny apartment! I have a little 1-BR city apartment, too-- and it doesn't even have an Infinite Space annex!-- but it contains me + 28 dolls (2 more on the way). This is just the living room; there are still no dolls in the bedroom. Only 6 of these 28 dolls are smaller than 58cm. The rest are 58 to 80cm. I like 'em big. Your apartment can stretch to take them all in. But it does help to be tall, because you can pick up one giant in each hand & stick 'em on the top shelves. ^^

My personal urban-feng-shui savior is Ikea's BESTÅ modular shelving line. Adjustable. Expandable. Deep enough for plus-sized legs & big sofas. Did you know that you can comfortably seat two EID Superheroes + an SD17 all on the same shelf? Bless you Sweden. <3

17. Definitely space, and money of course, but money I can always save up, whereas I can't just easily find a larger apartment. I can stand messy rooms for up to a few months, but then I go on a cleaning craze in which I have to get rid of stuff if I don't have enough open space. That's probably my major concern and, while not having a messy room is also practical, it's really a personal peeve for me.

In terms of size, I've found that in general I prefer larger sizes, but it doesn't prevent me from getting other sized dolls. What connects me with a doll is usually its sculpt (without faceup), which, coincidentally, has veered toward the larger sizes.

18. The main practical considerations that I really think about (besides obviously saving up money) is poseability. I have come to realize that I do not like one-piece torsos since I get so frustrated posing them. So when looking at dolls I try and find ways to avoid bodies with them (hooray for hybrids ^^). Surprisingly other things like single vs. double joints and such don't really bug me though. It's mainly just the torso thing.

One little quirk that I have been thinking about since the last meet-up I went to (but which will probably never influence what dolls I get) was what a friend and I have named "MSD wrist". I've noticed that the size of MSD dolls makes them awkward to hold. They're too small to lean fully in the crook of your elbow like an SD but too large to simply hold in your hand normally like a tiny. My friend and I discovered that after spending a day walking around holding our MSDs our wrists hurt from the awkward angle we had to hold them at. But I don't see this as effecting what dolls I get. I mean 3 of the 5 dolls I have a MSD sized (go figure XD). The most it will probably do is make me more inclined to bring my other sized dolls to meets.

I suppose space might end up being an issue if I start getting a lot more dolls but that would have to be a whole lot more for me to start worrying about it.

19. Hmmm...not to a large extent. Usually it's whether a doll looks like it would work for one of my characters or whether a particular doll really grabbed me. Issues of practicality usually don't have enough weight to seriously impact a doll choice, unless you count matching dolls to characters as being practical--in that case I'm a lot more practical than I though I was, lol.

20. Size is a huge issue for me. I have serious back problems and I absolutely cannot cart around a large doll so I ruled out anything above MSD/MNF size for my first from the get-go. As my desire for them increased and my first doll order is likely going to turn into a two doll order (possibly three!), I'm definitely going with small size. One will be a MNF, the other a pukipuki. So as much as I love those gorgeous SOOM dolls, I doubt I'll ever be able to own one or if I do, do more than static posing in my house. The small ones I can take outdoors and do interesting photoshoots with and pose and have fun with.

Space isn't an issue. I've got a house so there ya go :) I do have to be careful to keep them out of reach of a herd of cats and a curious four-year-old but I'm a sneaky thing so I'm sure I can do it.

Money's always an issue. Another reason I'm sticking with the smaller dolls. I still love to ogle pics of the big 'uns but I just can't see myself being able to get one :(