1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the hobby stress you out sometimes?

Jan 8, 2018

1. Could you do a thought experiment? What would it take for you to handle your dolls without restrictions? Mull it over a bit and see if something comes to mind. Just as an example: maybe you need 2 categories of dolls: play and display.
      I would love to hear that in time you are enjoying your dolls fully.

2. When I started in the hobby last year, I was also terrified of handling my dolls. It was odd because I entered the hobby hoping it would help to alleviate some of my anxiety, but I ended up being anxious about my dolls. I tried to solve this by taking my dolls camping with me. I know this sounds extreme and dangerous, but we stayed in a very nice cabin, so it probably wasn't real camping. I was hoping it would help me get over my fear of handling them and allow me some time to bond better with them. I worked! I ended up with some gorgeous pictures as well as minimizing my fear of handling or dirtying my dolls. I still freak out a little if something I ordered doesn't come in on time, but for the most part, this hobby has been my main stress relief.

3. @LaughingFox12 I'm so glad you found something that worked for you! I wish you happy times with your dolls!

4. I'm a very anxiety-prone person, and while I love my dolls, the hobby is definitely fairly stressful for me, which is ironic, given that I returned to it recently due to a desire to ameliorate stress caused by pre-med courses and my tenuous health. The wait-time for items that I order, handling my dolls (I get so nervous playing with them and posing them; I'm always worried I'll damage them somehow), and saving up for/selecting much-needed accessories (custom faceups/mods, eyes, wigs--even naming them and designing their characters) can all be so overwhelming. The financial aspect is probably the most anxiety-inducing part for me, as I'm a broke college kid who has to prioritize very carefully, here. I find that taking breaks intermittently from the hobby helps quite a bit. I have many other things in my life that are far more important to me. But despite the stresses associated with this hobby for me, personally, it's worth it. I love the artistic creativity and freedom these dolls provide, and what they inspire me to make (I know that sounds super cheesy). Honestly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences stress in this hobby, though I wish no one did.

5. YES! First, the cost. Second, the damage caused to the doll (scratches, yellowing, etc). This hobby is very stressful, but I love it nonetheless.

6. I found that it helped to do some of the things that 'scared' me WITH someone the first time. So unstringing a doll to wash it for example... I was more confident doing it with someone else, and that helped feed my confidence to let them get dirty and know I could take them apart and put them together.

7. The only time I get stressed out in this hobby is when somebody starts drama in it. Half of the time I don't even know what is going on.

8. Honestly once my items get to me I'm almost stress free. I've gone through my bouts of thinking I somehow have resin poisoning or something but I'm like that with everything.

What I agonize over (honestly quite rightfully, in my humble opinion) is when my items are shipping. I swear, 3 or 4 packages containing very expensive dolls/accessories/etc have just been completely lost by the postal service, and I've only really been super active in this hobby for about 3 months. I've had to contact the post and have them find things for me that haven't updated in weeks.

I'm actually going through this right now with a secondhand body from overseas... I had to bug them just to see if my package had arrived in the US after weeks of complete silence, and a week later I still have little information and there's no way it's arriving on schedule. USPS sucks, I just want my body so I can finish my hybrid. TnT

9. I find it stressful at times . will the doll i just bought really be perfect for this character. what if i don't like her when she gets here. sometimes i'm not particularly fond of their body how do i find the perfect hybrid?. A lot of things cross my mind and i don't really have anyone to talk to about it. not to mention the question am i really financially stable enough for this?

10. It's stressful during the shipping process, because whatever happens is out of your control. I get insurance but then it stresses me out about what I'll have to deal with if I ever do receive a doll damaged in shipping. It isn't so bad though since my dolls give me more comfort than stress.

11. Yes the hobby stresses me out, so much so i just touched my dolls for the first time in like 8 months...i think the cost of it all and the slow progress in the doll hobby stresses me.

12. I totally agree. I enjoy this hobby, but it really stress me out when drama starts. Even if i am not involved.

Another stress is when my dollies get stained, because of a pretty dark clothing.

13. My stress in this hobby is connected with shipping process. I was nervous when the doll was shipped. Then, when the company shipped the body. Now my second doll is in the process, and I'm calm. But I'll be nervous when it comes to shipping.

14. Mh, the hobby doesn't stress me that much. Currently I'm waiting for a head and a body to arrive and I'm a little anxious if the resin tones will match. And of course I hope that nothing breaks during shipment :sweat But besides from that I enjoy it very much, you just have to know when to ignore stressful situations like hateful discussions...

15. Oh gosh, I am definitely stressed out by this hobby sometimes, haha. ;v; I tend to be a huge perfectionist, so I want my dolls to be perfect, but that has the bad consequence that I get extremely stressed out if even the smallest thing happens to one of my dolls!

I recently had a horror story happen to my favorite doll--I had chipped her faceup, and so I sent her to the artist who originally painted her to be repainted. I missed her so much while she was gone, and recently I got her back, and she looked so fantastic and perfect! I was excited, so I brought her to a friend's apartment to show her--I'd brought her here before, but my friend had gotten a new puppy, and she ended up being able to reach a much higher shelf than I thought she could reach. The cute puppy completely destroyed my cute doll. >.< I was a complete emotional wreck, haha, and I still sort of am.

I ordered a new doll, and the very kind artist said she will be happy to paint her when I receive the new doll, but now I am just so stressed out by waiting for shipping and knowing it is going to be a few more months without my favorite girl. I feel so dumb for letting this happen in the first place! I feel upset even looking at my other dolls right now because I know she's not with them, but I'm sure the emotion will settle down after a bit and I'll be able to enjoy my other dolls while I wait for her. ;v;

16. I don't feel super included in this hobby so I feel like more of a bystander :sigh so really the only thing that stresses me out is when others start drama and everyone ends up fighting or ranting for days/weeks.

17. I can absolutely relate. Whenever I make an expensive doll purchase I get very stressed right afterward, wondering if I made the right choice, if I'm wasting my money, and I think again and again about refunding the purchase. Not only that but I stress I'll ruin my doll during customization (from just a bad face up to completely breaking the doll) which makes me think twice before starting on a doll. Just in general as a person I stress a lot so this hobby is no exception :sweat

Usually how I deal with the stress is talk to my sister. A lot of the time she's a voice of reason and helps me feel secure in my decisions. But when the stress is too much, I take a break from even looking at bjd stuff for a few days and do something I know is relaxing for me, then when I come back, I have a clear head and can soldier on.