1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this hobby *really* teach us patience?

Sep 24, 2010

1. Not a bit. I have waited very impatiently for every doll that's graced my house. I hate waiting, and the dolls have, if anything, made me hate it more.

2. I think it kind of forces patience on us--to a point.

That first doll or two (or three), you might be just so dang giddy, you're counting the days from the minute you pay the doll off. ("If it's 7 pm here, then it's 9 am there, so they should be able to ship him any time now!" <---- Obsessively did this while waiting for Aphan) Any real length of time seems like forever (unless it happens to be a miraculous, "I paid for it monday, shipped Tuesday, got it Wednesday!") for the first few.

I know that I'm currently on doll... A lot. I'm waiting on dolls #10 (silt), Doll 11 (Sueve), Doll 12 (RingdollRyan head), and plans for several more. The first doll, it was a two and a half month wait, and it was AGONIZING. The turnaround was supposed to be two weeks, one week for the faceup, and one week to ship from the dealer. It ended up being a whole month, plus he shipped out once, hit Chinese customs, and was sent back. THAT was the most upsetting thing EVER. I had no patience (and the local doll group kinda suffered my whining for it), and when he arrived, I just fell head over heels for him. My second doll was a Weylin head--arrived in three days after I paid him off, loved him. Third was an AS Gus head. Arrived SUPERFAST, and sold within two days (I found out my dislike of French resin at the time). THese fast turnarounds kind of spoiled me, I think. My next dolls after that, A Luts CP Woory and a DoD Homme Ducan, took each about a week or so to arrive after I paid them off, and my patience was tried again--I hated waiting. I got to take home my MNF Woosoo early (dropped off the last check to the local seller), so I was SUPERSPOILED.

Then I did the unthinkable. I ordered a Soom Chalco.

That wait almost killed me.

I'm pretty sure the person helping me to order wanted to kill me too.

I paid him off about a month early, and he shipped a month and a half after that. That wait was unendurable, but it did teach me a LOT of patience. I ordered a Syen (doublesplit), and set up for another long wait, ordered an Aphan a month later, got my Syens in very late August, my Aphan about a month after I paid him off, so the waits are getting shorter again, but I'm really not as OMGWANTDOLLNOW as I was a year ago. I still whine (no offense, I hate getting stuff from Canada, it takes FOREVER), but it's not as much of a deal. I have friends that complain about having to wait a week for their Amazon order. I tell them about the Heliot and Amber waits. They tend to spaz (which pleases me in some dark, evil kind of way) about just hearing about the wait, but really, it has taught me to be more patient about it. ^^

3. I don't think this hobby makes me more patient, well, it started when I see dolls that I really like I'll start imagine things like "If I have her" "If I put this wig on him" etc. And after I've too much desire I'll buy her but not enough money left, I lost all my patient, I wanted to buy her as fast as I can and also have her as fast as I can too. So I think I lost all my patient XD

4. I have to agree with some poeple on it teaches patience but also during that time if you want o distract yourself from thinking about oh when will he/she be here or is it this or that month yet? and etc. Like during this time you can catch up on say a book you havent read or some chore you have to do stuff like that makes the days go by quicker even if it is boring. or hey, play a video game or watch some tv or anime in my case ^^; I don't even have a bjd yet but i'm finally saying now "I'm going to start saving for it!" because I really want to get into this hobby. So I'm reading up on more things about them through this forum and also experiences ppl have (restringing, waiting on clothes, photography, sending the faces out for face up just when you get them) :) I might need help on the restringing part if i ever need to do that @_@;;

5. I think this hobby how important it is to wait and be patient, so that the right moment would be something magical & special! ^^ though I must say that whenever I order something I can't stop thinking about it, and also it also teaches us patience, in instances when we want to buy a doll but you are already on a layaway ( that is patience for me*), doing face-up,sewing clothes for our doll that are difficult and time-consuming, it takes a lot of patience! There are thing are worth the wait, and it surely feels good to have something that you wanted for so long, that getting all that easily... no thrill, no adventure, no fun! ^^

6. Hahaha ...... wellllll

No I do not think this hobby is teaching me to be patient,
      actually I think it is making me more and more impatient every time I order a doll.

I agree with astarvingartist the bjd hobby forces one to wait and be patient to a certain extent.

My first few dolls were pretty good on the wait:
      Dollshe - Haplo. Only about a month of waiting.
      Iplehouse - Cychwynn. 2.5 months waiting.
      Migidoll - Sentinial. one month.
      Fairyland - Aithne. about 2.5 months.
      So those were al pretty fine, A good wait, not long enough to freak out.

My fifth doll however, my Soom Amber,
      was ordered in the time of the whole Heliot & Amber resin/manufacturing problem at Soom.
      The wait turned out to be almost a full 8 months!! *_*
      It really almost put me off ordering any other dolls.

And one last effect this hobby has on my (already tried) patients,
      is that when i have a doll on order I really can't stand to see any mail trucks for the full extend of the wait. :doh kinda strange I know but really during doll waits the mailman is not my friend (until he shows up with the box ;) )

7. While waiting for a doll I sometimes go 'Oh! Still ... days to go!'
      But other than that I forget about it most of the time, which does help waiting.

Maybe I just already have a lot of patience, (For these kind of things) but I haven't become more patient because of the wait times.

8. I'm impatient for my dolls to get here, but once I have at least one with to play with I'll be completely fine with waiting for any others. Don't really have the expectation that this hobby will teach me patience. I have a fair grasp for patience, but honestly sometimes it can get to me. It could get to anyone most likely.

9. In a way, yes, and in some other ways, no xD;;

It's mostly the money saving that makes me impatient while at the same time more patient. Because once I get the doll I feel very fulfilled, but it's the months of painstakingly saving that gets to me while (from a very impatient person's point of view) it seems like people are able to save so easily :C

Also I always tend to have a streak of patience, saving up dime after dime, and then can spend all my savings in a splurge of utter impatience, and then impatiently regret doing so as I patiently start saving dime after dime once more *_*;

10. I don't think a hobby could really teach you patience...It's more something you develope with time then learn? I dunno... I'm not the most patient of people. But I've been fairly patient with my dolls. With ordering them? well I'm a little impatient to get the order in once I know I'm getting them! But after that I'm good with waiting.... and the faceups... Well Mostly I find once you sit down and really start working on a faceup its not so much a matter of being patient and not slapping the face on.. more, getting lost in trying to do it perfectly....
      Whar I'm really not patient with is finding the right wig! I'm forever looking and looking an buying trying to get the perfect wig.

11. I can't say it taught me patience.. reading through some replies I see many state that you have to have patience for the hobby or it's not for a person. I'm very impatient to the point of frustration at times, but the smallest thing seems to frustrate me as well so it's nothing new. I realize patience is needed and in some instances it made me just relax about it. Not to say.. I was always checking the shipping details, anxious to get it in the country, in the city.. finally on delivery... I just exhibit patience differently for my dolls and though they're far from perfect I enjoy them immensely even if I'm not the most patient of people.

I also am a person who likes spending money as soon as I've got it, so another bad habit to have when trying to save up for dolls.. But! It plays on patience as well when I look at one thing or another I have to decide whether I'm patient enough to keep the money to put towards my collection...

But then.. aside from bills all my paychecks wind up buying one thing or another for dolls.. o.O

12. I think we even need patience to do the research for finding the ideal doll, so it starts even before we really buy it, don't?

13. It doesn't necessary teach me patience. It's driving me mad for I so badly want my boys. But well, it enforces patience for sure.

14. I like to think that this hobby has made me more patient. In fact, I was surprisingly patient for every doll I've ever received (along with every faceup). I waited through every processing period and didn't whine once. In fact, I now find the wait exciting and am disappointed when I don't have something to wait for. Waiting for a doll or part has almost become a necessity for me. It's something to look forward to throughout the mundane weeks.

EDIT: Can waiting become like a drug??? 0.0

At first I wasn't patient with my own faceups, with MSC drying and with assembling. After making many careless mistakes I'm now as slow as a snail when handling dolls.

15. i believe it teaches up even if we dont want to learn ive been saving for a doll strange enough i havent figured out what doll i really want

16. Bonjour, Mademoiselle Lotus, I have emailed, PM'ed, everything...want to finish our transaction, so I'm glad to see you up and running again. I'm very patient, but I want my doll, giggle!

17. i'm definitely not in it for the learning side, I'm just a child at heart and want to further that XD and thus being this way means I have ZERO patence! But having said that I think it's always good to have a project or date to work towards because that makes it more exciting. If I was very patient I don't think I would be quite as happy

18. I agree with this.
      Really, I'm glad I have great parents and am <<relatively>> well-off, and had just started working when I got into this hobby.
      I can't imagine being a student and having to put away my allowance bit by bit before being able to purchase 1 doll.
      And then repeating the process. It would probably take me years!
      Things here are much cheaper... our quality of living is quite simple.
      And USD (dollar) just scares the crap out of many residents here.

But I digress.
      No, it has not taught me patience.
      Sometimes you have no choice but to be patient.
      Especially when the doll is traveling or is still being produced. You can't do anything about it.
      This trains you to cope. But it doesn't instill patience.

19. Okay, as what I am experiencing right now I would say it really is changing me and teaching me to be more patient. I am so use to getting things here and now like a lot of things are moving fast in our generation.
      Just by saving up for my doll is truly heart wrenching and really hard since I truly desire one. At first I was content on just getting a small one but found recently I would be disappointed if I get a small one first and just decided to get a super dollfie making myself learn MORE patience @_@. And I can tell you now, I feel already I have gone through so much trials and tribulations of trying to get my first doll but I am keeping strong knowing the reward is sure worth it ^_^!
      Also, I am a little hesitant not knowing if I am making the right decision as a first Dollfie owner :(. I want to make sure my first doll is special and would keep me distracted until I get another doll I will be saving up for :). I have seen so many box opening videos, tips on how to take care of your doll, researched, researched, and MORE research on looking at all kinds of other dollfies and positive that I have barely touched the tip of the iceberg of this hobby. Sorry for my rant just had to say it truly IS teaching me patience and grateful that something like this is really impacting my life. ^_^

20. I would definitely be less patient if I were waiting for my FIRST doll, and had nothing else to keep me occupied in the meantime! So I do feel for all those first-timers out there. Hang in there. ^^

My first few dolls came from eBay, so they were here within a week or so... then I bought another couple dolls via local sale, and that was instantaneous (in person)... but then I put a Satoko Ohno repaint on layaway, and even though it was only 2 installments (2 months), that first gave me a real idea of the magnitude of the waits I would be up against in this scene! But, after getting my feet wet on that wait, any other time I purchased from a studio or company-- 2-month Volks Dolpa wait, 3-month Iplehouse LE wait, or 4+ months while DD-Anne handcrafts a Lotus Near-- I was ready to face it.

Mind you, this does NOT mean I DON'T still sometimes bitch and moan and grumble about having to wait! Sometimes I stamp my widdle feet and say "want now!" But then I get it out of my system, dust myself off, & resume waiting patiently. Venting is an integral part of serenity, after all.

This is why we have those Waiting Room threads. :thumbup Vent, squee, get it out of your system & save your bloodpressure.