1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this hobby *really* teach us patience?

Sep 24, 2010

1. Emma was my first, and I got her around 2 months ago - and I was crazy. I did sew stuff for her, but nothing fit (still have to try to get some pants made).

I think this sort of fueled the fire, instead of stopping it. Maybe because it was a family affair; first doll, ordered with my dad's PayPal... unsure how it all worked. Pressure for my dad to know when she'd get here; unsure of terms, and wondering why the darn EMS number wasn't traceable. Wondered if the 7-15 days was total shipping time - didn't realize this was the time it took for them to cast and paint her.

Yeah...there was a lot of chaos...:kitty1

2. I think I have to agree with this 100%

3. If Waiting Room venting doesn't help, there's always the opposite tactic: Turn your calendar around to face the wall, and try to think about baseball instead. :XD:

4. Weirdly, I'm less antsy about my two incoming than I've ever been. Possibly this is experience, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm back home with my family. It's not only me who's going to see the massive boxes come in . . . I'm not sure how it'll go, and that's taken me back a bit. Not that I'm expecting drama! It just might feel kind of weird. :sweat Before it was between me and the delivery guy :p.

5. HAHA...sorry but I really burst out laughing after reading the topic XD....
      Yes I gained some patience ...in WAITING for stuffs ....
      definitely not for work XD..................Still as impatient as always

6. I belive yes since the making time, shipping, take photos, restring, make up, etc fontunely I very patience at extreme xD

7. Nope not at all, I still have no patience. :D Even though I wait 3+ months for some dolls on layaway, I am just dragging myself through every minute of the wait. I've never been too patient before and I'm really not any more patient now. I'm still a big fan of instant gratification. lol

8. I'm a first time doll buyer. I had patience for the first month because I ordered knowing that the distributor wouldn't be sending all the orders in until the end of the month. I had patience for half the second month because the distributor was on a trip and even if my doll was finished, they wouldn't tell me so until they got back.

Once the distributor got back and there was the thinnest possibility that I might be getting my doll, I started going CRAZY.

In the waiting room, those that direct ordered a doll from Ringdoll at the same time I did (well, RD got their orders at the same time) got their shipping notices earlier this week. I tore out my hair in anxiety.

I just got an e-mail today (as of Wed. the 3rd, I'm in week 9 of the 5-10 week average wait) that the distributor is getting a package in from the company (Ringdoll). They don't know what's in the package yet, nor if it even has my doll. However, it is the first REAL chance that she could get here soon. I'm absolutely OUT OF MY MIND with excitement, worry, anxiety, and happiness that even if she's not in the package, she could be in the next one!

Patience is not my virtue. :sweat

However, I have discovered that I wake up every morning going "TODAY COULD BE THE DAY!", feel like hell in the afternoon when it's obviously not the day, and go to bed fantastically happy that "TOMORROW COULD BE THE DAY". :D

By the way, I usually lean towards the "realist"/"pessimist" views on life.

This hobby has not taught me patience so much as :aheartbeaoptimism:aheartbea.

9. hahahhhaa I like that.

10. It teaches me patience. And that good things are worth waiting for. Rather than rushing to get whatever doll I possibly can I am really enjoying the two boys I have and am leisurely saving up for other things. At first I thought I'd be ready to buy like crazy- but no. I'm quite happy with what I have and such.

11. The hobby itself definitely does not teach patience. Some occassions during the hobby you may experience are the things that may teach you patience. But these occassions can happen in any hobby, in any parts of life. For example, you could be dying waiting for your new car, new birthday present, etc. Does collecting cars teach patience then ? Does receiving birthday presents teach patience ? No, it's the process of waiting that teaches you patience. Not the hobby itself.

12. Haha, not at all for me. I buy dolls on impulse, pace the floor until they arrive, buy eyes and wigs and outfits for them before they even arrive... I'd say my collecting involves no patience. Lol.

13. Hmmm.. not taught, but yes, developed my ability to wait )))))

14. I don't think it teaches patience so much as requires you to already be at least somewhat patient to get into the hobby. It might help make you more patient, but I don't think it can turn a person who isn't patient at all into one who is.

15. Hrm...I don't think I am learning patience from this hobby. :sweat
      As horrible as the wait is, I actually enjoy waiting because it just makes it so much nicer when your doll comes. :) It's like erm...suspense in a story! Yeah, that's it. If that makes sense. ^^;

If anything, I learned how to get the most for my money. *_*

16. I didn't know it was meant to! Haha! xD

17. I think it does-- the "waiting for the doll to come" part was never hard for me,(though in my case, it's usually lying in wait at the bottom of the MP, waiting for the perfect doll to float by) but it's the fact you can't rush stringing, painting, or sewing, all the little fiddly part of setting up a photoshoot, then making sure everything is packed away neatly. (I am not naturally a neat person, either :)

18. somewhat, i suppose, i mean it's sort of mellowing to know that something is on it's way and i just forget about it until it arrives on my doorstep.

19. Oof! I don't have a problem with waiting for the dolls. It's the impulse buying that's difficult to control. Once I see a sculpt I really love, it's hard to wait to buy it! So actually, this hobby is teaching me impatience. DX

20. I wouldn't necessarily call myself impatient before or after the fact, but rather that i like the wait and suspense. I've told a lot of my friends and especially my fiance that if they buy me gifts for my birthday or Christmas, no matter what, do not tell me hat it is. Vague hints are fantastic, but in reality, I don't want to know what it is until I open it.

I turned out to be the same way with dolls -- I feel gipped if I get the instant gratification because I didn't have to work or wait for it ... so this hobby is perfect for me! :D