1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your price limit keep going higher/lower with each doll?

Jan 8, 2011

1. haha well it's always the same range for me, but not its getting higher because most of the sculpt im hunting is limited.

2. When I first was looking for a doll they all seemed quite pricy to me. So I chose one which was not very expensive. Then I got more expensive and cheaper dolls. I can't say that I just spend more more easily. I think I just choose more carefully now. Now I know better what I like but it has not exact connection with the price. Sometimes I get cheaper dolls, sometimes more expensive. But I think it's OK to spend more when you are sure enough that this doll is what you really need. Mostly people start with something cheaper to change it to something more special and expensive with time.

3. It's been over 3.5 years, but Rosy (which I have sold) is still the blank doll on which I spent the most money to date. I did have two Dollshes that would have been more had I purchased them at full retail price. I've been a collecting member of this hobby since 2008 and had interest in bjds since 2003. At this point, I feel absolutely no need to pay more than $500 for a bjd and have gone back to collecting what are considered to be fashion dolls, which are costing me ~$90-130 for a full set.

Clothes, however, are a different matter. In the beginning I could barely spend $30 on an outfit, but I quickly found out that I like my doll clothes to have the same detail and finish as human sized clothing. So now I spend anywhere from $70 to $150 on an outfit. My favorite places for clothes are Rosen Lied, Dollheart, Volks, Sadol, and Musedoll. I can see myself stop buying dolls in the future, but clothes, never.

4. My first bjd (that wasn't a present from my mom) was a JollyPlus/Dolleart for $400. I found out I loved SDs so much I then bought a limited Khal from Leekeworld for a little over $800. Since then, my taste varies, so I'll spend $150 on a doll and turn around and buy another one for $800. It just depends on the doll for me :)As for doll clothes..well, I used to cringe at the thought of buying a $40 outfit. Now..I'll pay $200 on an outfit at the drop of a hat haha.

5. And after buying a $300 something Soom Fairy FCE.... I just bought a $200 Dollzone Wendy on the Marketplace. Not because the Wendy was cheaper than the fairy, or cheaper than my $500+ Super Gems, but because I've been patiently waiting for a Wendy to turn up on the Marketplace for months. My next doll will probably be significantly more expensive than the Wendy, but again, it's not like I'm planning it that way!

6. Lol my prices have definitely gone up. I remember worrying if I could ever justify spending over a hundred on a doll, and now I have a monster money drain on layaway. Though with her I have reached the top and am falling to the fact if I want another doll it will be on the low end of the scale. Though at this pointI'm happy with the soon to be seven bjds I have. Who actually are all on the low end except for the incoming gal. Lol

7. My prices are slowly but surely going up. My first doll was a MSD and $150 because I thought that was the best price for that size doll. Now I've got a YOSD size which was slightly more than that (even though previous logic would have stopped me from the purchase because "smaller doll = smaller price"). So I'm still not comfortable breaking past even the $200 limit, but I could see it in the future. My brain makes all sorts of excuses and rationalizations if I feel like I want a doll badly enough.

8. I don't put a limit on myself; my limit is how much the doll costs. That might be $300; that might be $800 (which is how much my next one is going to set me back). I will say I look for good deals, and at least one of my dolls I've been waiting patiently for YEARS for the prices to come down (and they have) but I find it pointless to place a ceiling on how much I'll spend for a doll. The sculpt dictates my spending limits, not an arbitrary number.

9. Hm...I think my price range is pretty static, and it all depends on the doll.
      I stick to dolls in the 1/4 to 1/3 range; so my price range is $200-450 for a MSD and up to $600 for the bigger sizes. Although, I would be willing to pay some more for my grail doll. :sweat
      But how much I'm willing to pay for any doll just depends on how much I love it.

10. At first I thought spending even $200 on a large doll was highway robbery. I spent around $160 on a second hand baby doll. Okay... That wasn't so bad. Then I bought another baby and I thought it was $300 but it turned out to be $500. I got her and still like her but I will never pay that much again. I regret it still. I paid $200 for a second hand SD doll. Then $450 for the next one. I spent $600 on the 70 cm. Now I'm spending $700+ on my next. My husband was willing to let me spend $1400 on this one limited doll because he thought it looked cool. I was very tempted at first but my desire is starting to wane. I don't want to look at him and regret that I spent so much. I think it really takes away from the enjoyment of my dolls when I feel I've spent too much.

My upper cap for dolls now:

Max for baby doll: around 350 with makeup
      Max for mini: around $500 with makeup
      Max for any SD: $1,000. Honestly the most I want to spend is around $900.

After my large boy doll purchase I'm looking at only purchasing dolls $600 or less.

11. my first doll was a girl off ebay.. she cost me $120 and at the time i thought that was alot... till i found Aria.. she was $500+ and i said id never spend that much.. but now that i have her.. id do it again.
      the doll im waiting on i spent $240 and the one im about to order is $300 with a free event head!!!

for me its the doll.. how she/he looks, fullset face up and so on. i tend to get full sets IF i can and they are sold as one.. i dont think i will spend more then the $500 mark very often as i have to save for like ever it seems!!!

12. It's been getting higher, but that's just partly due to me being an adult in my mid-twenties now with better jobs that give me a little extra cash to spend on things I want. My first doll was $180, I don't regret that at all. It was a good way to test if this whole doll thing was really for me. My most recent purchase of a doll I am waiting to come in was $598 + $110 for the jointed hands I wanted.

13. At first i could hardly even let myself pay over $100 (he ended up being around 170 with shipping and all), i got my second and didn't even think twice about $230, now I'm looking at around $600 and thinking "yeah you know I'd pay that much for that doll, better start saving!"

14. My price limit started high, even though I have very little spending money. My thinking was/is:

Buying a doll is an investment in my own happiness. Happiness is priceless. It is not the cost of the doll I should consider (other than how to plan for that amount), but what seeing that doll every day of my life will add to my happiness.

Guess what? In the long run, BJDs are less expensive than therapy, alcohol, cigarettes, or going out clubbing. Hmmm.

15. My first doll was only about $200. I never thought I would go higher than that. My next doll was around $600! Now I want another one that will be close to $800 with the makeup/body blushing. They make me smile, so I think it's worth it. I'm just a little scared for the future if I keep going at this rate! Haha. I am never going to do layaway or use a credit card, though. I will make sure I always have the money before I spend it. It is true that you should save up for your dream doll. I never got my original dream doll out of my head, so I think I probably should have just purchased her first instead of going for a cheaper doll. I will probably end up getting her soon.

16. I certainly have a price limit though it is relative. It does depend on the aesthetics of the doll and its size. I started with LTFs then moved on to a MSD then back to a YOSD (the cheapest resin BJD I own) then up to a MSD (my most expensive buy till about one week ago) then down to a Pukifee. Now I've ordered an SD ( a major spending hike) which will arrive next year. It is likely that my next 2 purchases will be MSDs and neither will reach the price I paid for my MNF.