1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your price limit keep going higher/lower with each doll?

Jan 8, 2011

1. Sadly higher, dolls are bigger and more detailed than when I first started in this hobby.

2. Mine has gone lower, due to changes in monetary exchange rates (Korean won went down when I bought Muniya) and when I won Quinlan's head so I only needed to buy a body (though an FDoll body is the lower end of price... I was kind of scared to go blast all my Christmas money making a size-jump I wasn't sure if I would like, but the FDoll body is nice and I like carrying it around). @_@'

But other dolls I want are way higher... Now that I'm sure that 1/3 size is fine for me, some 1/3 sized dolls are a lot closer to "want" than "pretty, but do I need it in my room?" x_x so it's going to go up... whenever I have the money.

3. When I first started out on this hobby.. I thought $750 for a yosd was just absolutely INSANE. I would never, ever, ever pay for that much for any kind of doll. A few months passed and I realized $350 was actually not very bad for an MSD.. within 8 months I was able to convince myself to drop $950 on a yosd ( Volks YOSD Megu ).

I quickly learned that I was very unhappy with how much I've spent and quickly resold her as soon as I knew there was going to be another yosd 4-sister re-release.. I gradually began to spend a bit less.

Anyway, long story short, there's been many ups and downs (most I ever paid was $2,000 for a full set of dolpa 16 Kurumi ) but within the past year.. I have been VERY good. I no longer like spending way over retail price. I even wanna wait and search for the cheapest price possible. I have been just so blessed and lucky that I have been able to purchase dolls I really, really wanted for such amazing prices. >___< And I really MEAN amazing prices. They have all been way under retail or exactly retail.

Anyway.. I have learned my lesson and that I realized that from the very beginning I've had a "comfort" level ever since and I should have stuck to it. I wouldn't have gone through so much trouble to find satisfaction in this hobby.

4. Ooo hard to say. I dont think i Have a price limit.
      My first doll was full price $600 range new from company and since i often try to buy on the marketplace first to hunt for bargins. A lot of dolls i hybrid so im sometimes not fussy about the body and will just go for cheaper.
      However if there were a doll i really wanted and they were quite pricey, i think that would just mean it takes me longer to save up the money. I dont really put a cap on what i want or limit what i would want by price. For me, if i want it, i want it and im probably willing to pay for it when i have the means.

5. Mine doesn't really change from doll to doll. It's more a factor of 'do I like it enough to spend that much', and 'do I have it to spend'. I think what I'm willing to spend high amounts on may be different; I love dolls with fantasy parts, for instance, but if it's similar to something I have, or those parts don't appeal to me, I may decide the cost is too much for what of it I actually want, compared to what I'd be paying for.

6. Lower lower, sticking with BBB/RS and making hybrids. For me its more about what I do with the doll to make it mine than it is about pricey limited sculpts, though I will admit to having a Juri05 head that I cannot wait to get a body for. It will be a less expensive body.

7. The longer I'm involved in this hobby, the more dolls I'm exposed to, and the more my tastes seem to shift towards the spendy, which is unfortunate, because I can't afford the spendy! Thankfully, I'm not attracted to the most expensive dolls, but there are a couple of high mid-range ones I'd love to have. Sadly, it really means selling off most of my collection and starting over, because I don't think the dolls I'm interested in now would mesh aesthetically with most of my older dolls. All of this is very weird for me, because I'm only about one step up from a dumpster diver, and have never had any interest in anything expensive in my life before these wickedly addictive dolls! *shakes fist at bjds*

8. Noop. My limit's around 800 for a doll, and that's a big deal purchase. I won't buy at more than 850, no matter how lovely the doll is.

9. I used to say that my price limit was $500, because at the time that seemed like the absolute largest amount of money ever that I could conceivably save up. My first doll had only cost $160 including shipping, so I really didn't think I'd ever even want a doll more expensive than that. Recently though, I got my dream boy- the one doll I never thought I'd be the proud owner of, an extremely limited edition that sold out literally two months before I joined the hobby. I'd been willing to pay up to and over $1000 at one point, but I actually managed to get him for a good deal less.

Due to that, I guess it's hard to say what my limit would be, having spent about $775 for my most expensive doll, I don't want to say that I'd never spend any more or less than that- I bargain hunt in the MP for the dolls I want, regardless of how much they cost, so as long as I want the doll enough, and the price is what I think is a good one, I'll find a way to pay for it. It doesn't change from doll to doll so much as come into existence...

When it comes to heads and bodies though, bodies are always on the cheaper end. I don't think I've ever paid more than $250 tops for a body...

10. Do you ever feel that after your first inexpensive even second hand knock down priced doll, that you start looking at dolls of higher prices? Since you get used to the feeling that it may not be so bad once you have spent the money? You start to think "Eh that's not so bad."

At whatever price doll you start out with... I think it CAN become easier to spend money, at least psychologically, having done it once... or twice... or ...!!!

Dolls were more expensive when I started buying BJDs. $500 was about as low as you could go for a Large-sized doll, plus overseas EMS shipping and making bank transfers (no one accepted paypal then). Anyway--I thought it was an INSANE amount for a doll--or just about anything aside from a car or a computer or some major purchase. I was sure I'd just get one and not be insane enough to buy more... but of course, that didn't happen. I still think it's an insane amount, but I have gotten more used to spending hundreds of dollars on dolls and doll things. *_*

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?

As I said, at that time there WERE NO CHEAPER dolls! There were more expensive dolls. It wasn't uncommon to pay over $1,000. So I got used to the big prices...

Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?

I don't go by price. If I want the doll and can swing the payments somehow, I'll save up or pay up and get it. I don't believe in getting dolls based on price. I do have limits. I won't pay thousands--I just don't want any doll THAT much (although if I did, then I suppose I'd just save up for it, but so far, I haven't wanted one that expensive). I think that even paying a hundred or so for a doll is a lot of money. I'd rather save up and put it towards a doll I really want, though.

Of course, if the dolls I wanted were all inexpensive, I'd be VERY HAPPY!!!! I WISH that were the case ALL the time. Why would I bother looking to buy a more expensive doll if I all the sculpts I liked were less expensive??? ;)

11. My notion of what's expensive has changed dramatically. My first doll was middle of the road - 60,000en, and my heart was totally pounding at the thought of spending that much money at one go. My most expensive will definitely be my incoming Williams (good lord, I just typed Willions . . . that might be his new nickname) at $1600, and I had no nervous reaction at all. It's kind of bad that way :sweat. I should still be having heart palpitations over the prices, but I'm not at all, which makes it too easy to buy. I don't think in terms of expensive/cheap so much as how to acquire . . .

12. When I first learned of the hobby, I balked at spending $100 on a doll. When I started looking for my first, I couldn't bring myself to spend over $300. I found it reasonable, though. I try not to think about the fact that I ended up spending $450 on my first. It was terrifying. Now I'm torn between saving up for the doll I REALLY want ($600) and trying to be more thrifty!

13. Mine fluctuates a lot.

My first doll was a Fullset and he was $600. He and I have a bit of a love-hate relationship where at times I adore him and could never consider selling, and other times I can't understand why I have him. He's been renamed once, had his eyes and wig changed more times than I can count, and most recently has had a body blushing and faceup modification. He just. Keeps. Changing.

Then, my next two dolls were about $450 each. I adore these two, am constantly playing with them and posing them They're very dear to me, and represent the two main characters in the book I'm writing.

Then, my price went up again, and I broke my promise to ONLY buy dolls which have a character waiting for them. I saw SOOM Epidos, fell in love, and shelled out about 800 for him. I'm currently waiting for him to arrive.

My more recent purchases have also been SOOMs. I bought Pryol and Minnette (450 and 400 respectively) And also Taco (350.)

Seems that I generally buy dolls at around the 450 mark. Some are more expensive, some less.

When I think of how much I've spent over all, I go a little pale. But they make me happy, and that's what matters to me.

14. My dolls price keep higher and higher.

Firstly I started on mini size dolls (around $300-400) and I found I like 60 cm more and I got Elf Ducan (around $750) after that I purchase SOOM MD which price were about $900 but I ok because they have so many extra parts but the most expensive dolls that I own are Iplehouse. Even basic, their price nearly as high as SOOM MD.

Yeah, my CDS Theo real skin price is the same range as my SOOM MD Chrom who has so many option parts and extra head. I have limit to not paying more than $700 for basic dolls but Theo made me broke my rule so I hope I will adore him alot when I get him.

If I like inexpensive dolls that would be great so I can save my money more. LOL

15. My first was normally priced SD13 sized doll. I did feel that it was a lot of money to pay for something I have never seen before in my life LOL LOL

second doll, I bought a less expensive one - which was just a little more than 1/2 of what I paid for my first. I even tried to do face up and mod with him since I thought that if I messed up I would not have lost much.... but the doll had featured that bugged me for no ends so I could not keep him.

After being in this hobby for many years and having many more experience with dolls from different companies; my value of what I would pay for a doll definitely has changed.

I do not let price be the only factor, I try to buy direct from company so I can avoid second market mark up.

16. Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?

I guess that I am in this group. I dropped the price of my second doll, then back up for my third. I also got a free head, who is going to be cheaper as it is going to be a body only that I have to purchase. I guess for me I don't care for the price as long as it is what I was looking for. It just takes longer to get the more expensive dolls, but each of my resin beauties is worth the wait.

17. Do you ever feel that after your first inexpensive even second hand knock down priced doll, that you start looking at dolls of higher prices? Since you get used to the feeling that it may not be so bad once you have spent the money? You start to think "Eh that's not so bad."

This is a scary topic cos it kinda brings me to reality. When I first came across a BJD, I was appalled by its price.. but I was too drawn to it and I bought it on that day itself for S$1100 (=US$750). And I thought to myself that's crazy. After entering this hobby, I found myself spending more & more on each doll. It doesnt help that I was drawn to Volks big boys and the only way I could access to them is via Yahoo jp. I bought a few and I kinda got immune to the crazy prices. Now if a doll is below a certain price, I will be thinking 'hey, this is cheap!'. But now as I look back, 'cheaper' BJDs are still really expensive!

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?

I do not actively look for dolls with more reasonable prices, though that is a tempting factor. I go for dolls that im attracted to and as long as they are in the price range Im comfortable with, I will try to get them.

Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?

I definitely will go back and forth with purchases in the future. But it will not be cos of the price. The key point will be how much I luv the sculpt. Im sure I cant be loving expensive sculpts all the time.

18. The very first doll I saw was at Dolpa and was Tachibana Shirou, and had I actually known about these dolls before hand, I would have tried to buy him that day. Instead, it was the end of my trip and I had spent all of my money on other things and was "OMG I bought so many doujinshi and figures I could have bought him!" I never experienced that sticker shock and just rolled with it.

So, my price for dolls hasn't gone up and it hasn't gone down. When it comes to paying more than retail, I've always asked myself if the markup is worth it to me in the end or should I wait. I am very good at waiting for the right price for me and have never compromised by purchasing cheaper dolls to stave off desire for a more expensive doll. That's the real waste of money.

19. I don't really have a price limit, though hybridizing and the such helps me to save some money, since I am not particular about bodies. It really depends on how much I want that doll! Cost and benefits kick in here. Its just a matter of "Am I willing to spend this amount of money for this doll?" If I am, then yay, save. If I'm not then... Well, its not worth it!

20. For me I normaly stay in the lower price range about 300's but some doll's I love are in the 600's [which compaired to the money I have is a lot of money]