1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your price limit keep going higher/lower with each doll?

Jan 8, 2011

1. I went up but only a little.
      It was nothing over 300, but now it's nothing over 500 or so. Right now, more than that would be irresponsible of me.

2. I tend to purchase all of my dolls new and I tend to get fullsets, so I stay on the expensive side of things(not always a great thing for my wallet). My first dolls were Volks (new from them) and several were limiteds...of coures back in those days there were not really any inexpensive options and far fewer companies, so I was not spending above the norm. However, I do have(on order) a few dolls that are new that are a bit less expenisve and not full set (like my Dollshe Saint I bought during the most recent sale or my Soom Sard I purchased without any of the extras from Soom). Even still, I tend to stick on the higher end of thigns because that is where the molds I like tend to be.

3. Price limit isn't really so much a deciding factor for me; I keep to the molds I like and the price just follows suit (well as long as it's not like over 1.5K or something). My first doll was $389, my latest doll cost me $615...both have clothes and wigs included. My most expensive was my fourth doll, who cost me just over a thousand. So I guess the trend for me bounces back and forth!

4. My limit.........I used to have one >.>" It doesn't last long though.I broke the limit several times by exceeding it few times higher= =.... when I set my eyes on Volks.....

5. Heh. XD This is funny for me, as my price limit has gone up, but the cost of the dolls that I actually do buy just gets lower. Considering my larger dolls, Maximilien was my most expensive at $280, Heinrich was $180 and the MSD I plan to complete soon is going to end up costing around $200--a twenty-dollar spike back up, but still low as I think my "price I'd be willing to pay for a doll I really want" is now around $1,000. *_* I guess I should consider myself lucky that I haven't fallen in love with an expensive doll as of yet.

6. I don't think I've ever really had a limit, as with fluctuating exchange rates I've had to pay around $1000 AU for a lot of my dolls, so I'm used to that higher figure in my head. I think it's more based on what I can afford at the time. Of course I do like it when a doll I like is in the "cheaper" category, and they're always easiest to justify. XD

7. I have an upper limit for a doll and that's it unless we get extreme inflation. I have one doll that I paid a fortune for, IMHO, but she was done by a great artist who did her faceup, wig, outfit and shoes. She was just slightly above my previously set limit but this artist was so nice about taking payments that I got this dream girl. I have one other artist I might get a doll from too but I will not go out of my way to find one or go higher than the one I mentioned here. The one I have I got at BJDC Austin 2010 and she was a sculpt I had wanted for a long time.

I am now more drawn to purchasing outfits or dolls only if they are a great deal. Right now I am making payments on a Dollshe Saint because of the great price, and the layaway feature. Usually I only buy on layaway as I refuse to use a credit card. If I do use a credit card I try to pay off that purchase asap and then this is only for outfits. No credits for doll purchases at all.

8. Do you ever feel that after your first inexpensive even second hand knock down priced doll, that you start looking at dolls of higher prices? Since you get used to the feeling that it may not be so bad once you have spent the money? You start to think "Eh that's not so bad."

I had some of that happen. My first doll was my BBB Sprite, $120.00. Then came my RS Song, who was $90.00. My third and fourth dolls were $400.00 each.

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?
      NA. Doesn't get much cheaper than a Sprite!

Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?

There's no pattern to it, though it might seem that way. My later dolls were: $150.00, $330.00, $450.00, $130.00, $460.00 and I'm waiting for my Saint ($380.00) now. But there's nothing intentional about it, it's just which doll happened to be available at what time. I've not broken the $500.00 mark yet, and several of my dolls were either purchased on long layaway or required significant work, which drove the price down.

I've got wish list dolls in the $700.00-$800.00 range. But it's going to be a while before I buy any of them, if ever.

9. My second was my most expensive to date. I've been all over the map, though since then, but I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the cost of the doll I want most because I think of all the other things I could use the money for.

10. I still have the same maximum I'm willing to pay for a doll. If it is below that: great! If it isn't: well, than I have to see if I can find it within my price-range.

Unfortunately I have this thing for limited and rare dolls, so it's not as if I ever reach the lower end of the hobby...

11. When I first started slipping into the hobby, the doll I fell in love with was about $900. I definitely had some sticker shock there, and it was incredibly disheartening. Then I started looking around and realized that he was a limited fullset, and that I could get a naked version of him considerably cheaper from the company. Even though he was about $550 on his own with nothing more than eyes, I thought that was a bargain after seeing his limited version cost so much.

And then when I was finally able to get my first doll, I stupidly spent way more than the base price anyways, and didn't even get the basic version of the doll I fell for >_> I bought her lots of things that I'm never going to use with her because I had no idea what her character was yet. But it doesn't matter; she was worth it, and that's how I see all dolls I'm interested. If I want them badly enough, the price isn't going to matter. Luckily, I don't tend to like any of the $1000 dolls, and I'm not that interested in ever getting a full set doll. I have to save up for them, and never have that kind of cash on hand.

12. I always go for BJD which from my point of view fit characters I really want to have and, at least until now, fortunately all the BJD I got were in an affordable range for me. I started with a CP Luts Delf in 2005 and my last BJD was a Dollmore Glamor Model Doll that I received at the end of 2009. Between them I have purchased BJD sometimes more expensive (Even a limited edition) other times "cheaper" (A couple were at a truly low cost) so it did not go higher and higher or lower and lower in my case. Always the BJD matches my idea of a character I deeply want and I may afford it I do not pay attention to price difference compared to my previous one/s.

13. Yeah, I keep having my price limit increased as I get used to just how expensive dolls can be. So each of my dolls have been increasingly expensive, though I finally have the characters that made me want to start collecting, so hopefully costs will go down.

14. My current budget has gone waaaay down, mostly because I've got to focus on other things at the moment...

Normally though, prices aren't the biggest factor in buying a doll.... of course I'm not going to spend more than I can afford, but I'm not going to not buy a doll I love due to the price. ^^;

My most expensive doll is just under $2000, and my least expensive cost me $65 (but she was on sale when I bought her. xD)

15. It's gone lower; my DM Kid was twice the price of my second doll, my BBB Apollo. I don't know if my third (if there ever is a third) will be even less than that.

16. Ummm....mine has definitely gone higher, and amazingly so has my fiance's (he used to be opposed to anything over 300, and now encourages a few busty ladies over 500). My first doll was 325, and anything in that bracket or lower always seems like a good buy to me. My mnfs were in the 400s, which I consider to be worth it, but I'm not going to pay more than that for an MSD. If I got any SDs my price limit is no more than the 600 bracket. Definitely gone up (and this from someone who cringed at paying 325).

17. If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices? Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?
      Hmm, actually I went through all this while doing my hardcore research. At first I looked for the cheapest SD I could find, then I said, "Go for the face you want no matter what the price!", back to "I must save money not spend it" mode. Then finally I figured if I was going to spend a couple hundred dollars I might as well save the extra couple hundred and get the doll I wanted. Now that I made the purchase I am looking at getting more dolls and I just go for the sculpts I want not the price I want. To be honest I'm still surprised I was willing to spend as much as I did on any doll AND that I'm willing to get more! Darn BJD bug! :|

18. My price range keeps going up. My first doll was around $300 and my second was $400. The next doll I'm looking at is about 500.

19. This is very interesting...Seeing as I have a fair few now and I tend to hybridise more, I do tend to look for less expensive bodies for my heads, and I really like Demon Garden and AoD for that reason. So I suppose it would now have to be a very special doll for me to want to pay a much higher price.

20. Well, considering I only have one doll who's not even with me yet, and am about to order my second sometime next week...there's not much to say just yet.

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?
      Nope. It just so happens that my first doll(an MSD) is more expensive than my second(an SD...but he won't be coming with a face-up so I suppose it will even out after I get his face-up done...) I'm pretty open to how much I spend on a doll, it just may take more or less time to save for it...depending on the price of course.