1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your price limit keep going higher/lower with each doll?

Jan 8, 2011

1. I have an upper price limit, when the dolls get into the thousands of dollars I stay away. I only own 2 dolls right now, so I guess you could say that so far the tend has been upward. The second doll was more expensive than the first, I went from 5stardoll Emma to Pukifee Luna. The dolls I have been looking at lately are usually in the Pukifee Luna price range and up. So yes, my choices seem to get pricier. This also seems to be true for clothes, wigs, etc.

2. So far mine has fluctuated. My first doll was fairly expensive, but was a limited fullset, my next doll was cheaper because it was on sale and then after that I bought some heads which were even cheaper. My next doll will be the most expensive to date though. So far I've bought based on what I like and rather I can feasibly pay for it in a timely manner.

3. I don't have a price limit and I buy dolls according to the sculpt that I like n__n My first doll (Fullset MSD) cost me $500+ while my second one (Nude MSD) is a second hand that cost $300+ but it's not that the pricing is lower that I bought him but I love his sculpt but sadly he was a LE that sold out long ago...

4. I think $600 is the most I could ever spend on a doll... unless I REALLY fell in love with one. I could never spend $1000+ on a doll... I don't understand how some of them are super expensive and some aren't that pricey (relatively) when they're all manufactured pretty much the same way.

5. I don't have a general limit on the high or low end. My most expensive doll was around $1200 and my least expensive was around $120, and I felt that both were priced reasonably for what they were - I wouldn't want to pay $600 for a doll that could easily be purchased for $500 elsewhere, whereas I'd happily pay that same amount if the doll is usually $700. It's less the specific dollar amount than the value for money.

To be fair, there can be huge differences in everything from the cost of labour in one country versus another to things like resin quality, included extras and just general quality assurance. When those are taken into account it's not that strange at all.

6. Most of my dolls are and will be in the $100/$200 range.

Do you ever feel that after your first inexpensive even second hand knock down priced doll, that you start looking at dolls of higher prices? Since you get used to the feeling that it may not be so bad once you have spent the money? You start to think "Eh that's not so bad."
      No. I started out thinking $300 and over is ridiculous, and I still think it's ridiculous. I might actually spend $1200 on one particular doll at some point, though. I did with a dolls' house once. Never regretted it, but I don't disagree with people who say it's insane.

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?
      My first doll was not expensive for a BJD, but $200 (after import and transport) is still a lot of money.

Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?
      I look at the sculpt, then look whether I can afford it. If I can, I buy it, if I can't I don't. So I end up owning more inexpensive dolls than expensive ones. :)

7. Really? Huh. I didn't know there was that much difference in quality. I assumed it was sort of like paying $200 for a designer handbag that probably cost $30 to manufacture. Although I do admit that the designer wallet I got is a LOT better quality than other wallets I've had.

8. I feel like the dolls are getting more expensive but the quality is also better. The resin tones, joints. Even the dolls are getting bigger!

9. For me, I am new. And I really wasn't going to get a doll at all until I saved up and had market place access so I could see if there was something I liked that I could get second-hand. But I started browsing around Junkyspot (on a recommendation that I got from someone here) and I fell in love with the Sprite. I had been talking about waiting, but I already had that much saved. And I really liked that doll and wanted it. So I couldn't really see any reason to wait longer. For less than $150, I could have a faced-up doll that most people on here have agreed was good quality, and wouldn't be so expensive that it would cause me to feel guilty and remorsefull. I feel like it's a good way to break into the hobby. I'll be able to try my hand at sewing clothing, restringing, and all the rest without getting an ulcer!

10. Do you ever feel that after your first inexpensive even second hand knock down priced doll, that you start looking at dolls of higher prices? Since you get used to the feeling that it may not be so bad once you have spent the money? You start to think "Eh that's not so bad."

Well my first doll was not really inexpensive, but it wasn't what I chose him on.
      I loved him, and just started saving. Though I must say:
      Yes The longer I am in this hobby and collecting dolls the more I seem to think
      "Oh, that price is reasonable". I started thinking I would never buy one of these "expensive" dolls, now prices around $600 seem ok.

If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?

No, after my first doll I did not really start looking at dolls that had more reasonable prices, I usually look at the doll, Do I love the doll? if Yes than the price does not matter much I will try to safe up the money.

Or do you just go back and forth with each purchase? Buy one expensive, one reasonable, then one expensive?

No, not on purpose. It might happen that one doll is priced lower than others, but its not really what I pay attention to.

11. I also jumped into this BJD world head first with Iplehouse - so prices for my first two dolls were high. I think I am still a bit immune to the idea of this hobby and it's attached high expenses because I have other hobbies that are on the high end too. Perhaps, that is why when I do find a beautiful BJD (new or adopted) around $400-$500 - that seems to be my range for now.

What I find hard to do is invest in the smaller dolls for those higher amounts. Somehow, to me, the smaller they are the less they should be - however, that does not seem to be the case. I have seen so many cute smaller puki-fee bjd's that I would really like - however $400 seems a bit high. Time will tell...

DoA and the marketplace allow us all the chance to do layaway transactions and with that kind of help - BJD's are attainable - even some that are more rare.

12. Wow, this is a depressing thread. It just made me realize how totally my prices and perception have gone up up up. My first doll, Elfdoll Sooah, was around $500, and I thought that was outrageous. A few years later I'm preparing to go to Kobe dolpa and am fully planning on dropping $1400 to buy SDGr Lorina. This hobby is very dangerous to me financially!

13. If your first doll was pretty expensive, do you start looking inherently for dolls of more reasonable prices?

No, my first doll was not so expensive. Of course first I thought that is a lot of money, but then it was "only XX $" I think that price of doll is not so important thing. When I've started this hobby I knew that it is not cheap thing, so I had to realize that my opinion about money will be changed.

I also think that doll can cost 20$ or 2000$ and it is no difference for me. If it is worth it - I'll buy it sooner or later!

14. :doh: Little over a year later and this has gone out the window.
      1st + 2nd - $740 + 750 Cocori + Cocori
      3rd - *trade* But $650 Ashanti
      4th & 5th - $320 + $380 Saint + Rosen
      6th-$350 ? For Erzulie
      7th- $687 For Lahela
      8th- $720 for Chloe
      9th- $160 for PukiPuki
      10th- $700 for SD16 Iris

I am now on the verge of dropping Y156000 Yen for SDGou Yukinojo.
      And still no Iple Jessica ;(

Loads of fluctuations, No? :lol:
      I think its safe to say there probably is no limit to what I will spend now :lol: :...(

15. I started with the more expensive dolls then I went for the less expensive. I've since re-homed my less expensive dolls and replaced them with more expensive ones. My personal choice leans toward what I feel is better quality construction and beautiful aesthetics.

16. Yes, oh yes, for sure!
      My first doll was a tiny DF Pet Ari Lolo that was roughly in the $150 ballpark. From there I jumped to a more expensive Pipos Charlotte ($420) and then I found out about Volks and well, it jumped all the way to a $2000 doll (why hello fullset Volks Suiseiseki) . She was my grail doll and I can't even express how much I wanted her. Considering that Volks has stolen my soul, my price range for dolls went up quite a bit. But I'd rather buy one expensive doll than many dolls I don't truly like.

17. I noticd when getting my first doll it was cheap arranging from $200 and than it jotted up to $400 really fast ><; so yeah i think it will get more expensive later on x.x knowing me i tend to run for the expensive types of anything i guess i have a radar for it.

18. My dolls tend to get more and more expensive. It's ridiculous, especially since I originally was going to stay with MSDs but found out recently I much rather would like to have bigger dolls. I have to really learn how to manage my money now :sweat

19. Well... my first doll was a gift so I didn't have a price limit for it, but right now my price limit is 500$, but the one I'm currently trying to get isn't that much.

20. I vary a lot too. :) My first dolls were AOD minis - all about $165 each. then I went up to an SD, which was only about a hundred more, and then I got my hands on a bunch of floating heads, so I guess technically I went up slightly, then down a lot.
      Then I went to my Soom Spinel, who was about $580-ish, then all the dolls I got since him have been in the $400-$500 range. Then I went down a little and got some for $100, and then my most recent was back up to about $400. So my price limits have gone from $100 up to $600 per doll, but not in any specific up-then-down-then-up, or a higher limit each time or anything.

But I have noticed, if a doll is more than $600 before shipping, I generally tend not to look at them much.