1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll aesthetic

Oct 5, 2020

1. Hey ya'll how would you describe your doll brand??

2. Hi! Could you explain what you mean by "brand"? Do you mean the doll company? Or the way our personal collection is styled?

EDIT:

If you mean the aesthetic of the sculpts themselves, I mostly have semi-realistic to slightly stylized, kind of in the middle of the spectrum from anime to realistic. I have all SD and 70cm except for my first doll who i MSD.

If you mean how I style them, everybody is modern day clothing, and they range from grunge to goth to emo to metal glam to dark classy. I also tend to paint them in makeup real people wear, whether that's a natural look or goth depends on the character.

#2 CloakedSchemer, Oct 5, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    3. Heh, I think you're assuming that we all gravitate toward one particular style. Personally, I don't have one. I have clumps of dolls who live in different worlds, from teeny, frilly fantasy and cute to large and hyper realistic.

4. the clothing aesthetic per doll changes, but overall i definitely have more of a fantasy/magical feel going on. i prefer elves, dragons, fairies and the such, so you can see that with each one of my dolls in some way ^^ then they all have their personal style.. though since i love flowy elegant stuff, they all have that touch to their wardrobes too in some capacity.

5. My favorite dolls are usually more realistic sculpts :D

6. I like to believe mine are mostly dark and creepy, a bit CGI-realistic, with a sprinkle of anime. (:

7. I tend to gravitate towards dolls like Fairyland or dolls with sweeter faces. Realistic is not for me and I've realized that I like more childlike YoSD sculpts as I like spoiling them like children. I enjoy buying the cute kid clothes and little toys and props for them. :)

I've got a few fantasy sculpts on the way but I'm thinking of selling them in favor of more "normal" dolls.

8. The majority of mine are children.

Most of the SD size kids are form the same, extended, Vicotrian/Edwardian family of siblings, half siblings, and cousins, except for two 1920s/30s sisters. Not all of themm human

Some of the minis are part of the the Victorian family too (younger siblings), there's also a 1920s/30s girl (not related tot he SD sisters), a modern girl, and a 50s girl (1950s, 1850s, 1750s, 1650s etc. depending on how she's dressed, although shes only got outfits from the 20th adn 19th century so far).

The slim-minis are late 20th century "modern" teens, I suppose.

The inbetweenies/smaller minis are a mixed bag of period, traduitional, and 20thCentury modern.

The tinies (Yo-SD size) are a mix of Victorian and trad preschoolers, even the elves.

The teenie-tines are various fae creatures.

I think that's the best summary I can manage.

Teddy

9. It's the case of I know it when I see. I could definitely tell you which dolls were/were not my aesthetic if I was shown pictures but when it comes down to trying describe it as a set of rules it's a bit more fluid. I tend to like sculpts of cute girls and smirking/confident looking guys that are kinda realistic but not too much so. That's just a thing that I've noticed over all the dolls I've collected, but it's hardly a general rule. Even then, I think that those descriptions could be interpreted rather liberally.

10. My group is all part of an urban or modern fantasy world, with a mix of fairies, elves, and humans living together. They range from semi-stylized to more realistic, with a good number being tan resin and/or having pointy ears.

11. The ones I currently have are all pretty basic and modern in sense of fashion. Though I dream of having a whole little gothic vampire family. But some dolls just don't wanna be the aesthetic you originally intended for them..

12. {sigh} So true...

Teddy

13. I love realistic dolls especially in 70cm for male dolls. For the doll sculpt, LLT is my top favorite doll brand of artist Julia Cross. Julia’s dolls are very realistic with beautiful anatomical and detailed depiction. She has stunning aesthetic skills. For the faceup and fashion style, I also prefer realistic look.

14. I was talking more about doll style.

15. It took me a long time to really settle on an aesthetic that I wanted. I tend to favor sweet more than I do on realistic, when it comes to dolls... which may be a little bit odd as I am drawn more towards realistic clothes and props. It has taken me a while to settle on a first resin doll as I waffled back and forth for a while and was kind of paralyzed by indecision. Now, I’m just excited to be moving forward and to one day be creating little sets!

16. I want to say realistic. My dolls are all boys whose styles range from Japanese street to American grunge. That said, one boy s a cat headed boy with a realistic body.

17. Hmm...I guess fantasy. I adore looking at super realistic dolls in modern clothing but don't have any. I'm all about the escapism, I suppose. :sweat

18. I prefer MSDs and YOSDs that are more modern; I really like the pear-shaped aesthetic that's been trendy for a while. I like more realistic or somewhat stylized sculpts (despite liking MSDs and YOSDs the most, my collection varies from Pygmalion Eita to DiM Larina to Dust of Dolls Jama and others!) I didn't know it at first, but I really love unique resin colors— I just bought a Black Cherry Brownie in a cherry red resin, and I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity to buy a limited fantasy skintone Dust of Dolls. I really appreciate diversity in sculpts, I don't want all of my dolls to look the same and I dislike the "big eyes, teeny nose and lips" look.

As for fashion, my YOSDs are all little lolitas or they wear bohemian-style, mori fashion. My MSDs are headcanons of characters from a show I like, so their styles were already kind of planned for me.

19. I used to prefer slightly stylized sculpts like Luts and fairyland. Elves, vampires and demons and such. Over time however my taste has shifted more towards dark creepy creature dolls and wierdly stlized dolls like Doll Chateau.

20. I like each of my dolls to have their own aesthetic, they range from modern / urban to goth witch to lolita and even elven fantasy. If there's a style I'd like to sew or craft for I'll get a doll to fit - it's also how I justify new dolls :)

In terms of sculpts I don't like them too realistic, or too anime, more in the middle, but I go for whatever will visually suit the aesthetic I want

In the end I have quite the mismatched crew, but I tend to get them out to work on, or display them one at a time anyway