1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Company Photos, What Makes You Nervous?

Dec 8, 2010

1. As someone who does faceups and has tried many times to replicate the same faceup, it's impossible for a hand painted faceup to look exactly the same every single time. There will always be variances, since it's not being stamped on by machine. Also, sometimes certain shades of pencil or types of paint get discontinued and have to be replaced by a similar product that might look a little different. That's what that little standard line is for---to protect themselves in case something beyond their control happens.

HOWEVER, I have seen some company faceups that differ drastically from the pictures, most likely because it was done by a different artist or they changed the style. The worst case I've seen, the company pic showed the doll with dark heavy black smokey eyeliner, peachy glossy lips and arched eyebrows and the actual doll had very precise thin liner and neon pink eyeshadow, lips and cheeks with straight brows!! I do feel like it's a huge disappointment, especially when you pay extra for a faceup and it's somewhat amateur and completely different colors.

I'm not sure if you could claim false advertisement or not, since they do state that it could vary. Even though it's obviously different enough to be upset over, it doesn't state to what degree it could vary. Sadly, I think you probably wouldn't have any ground to stand on in a legal case, as you paid for a default company faceup and got a default company faceup. (Might be different if it was a custom faceup and they didn't follow your basic instructions.)

2. So far I have not had that experience. All my company faceups look like the pictures. If it was drastically different, I'd wonder if they put the wrong faceup on him/her since some companies offer different ones. I try to imagine the faceup minus the awesome lighting, angles, and any editing that they may have done for the photoshoot.

3. I think it would be better to leave appropriate feedback in the company feedback form stating the exact details of what company purchased from, when, and how what was received did not match what was advertised.

4. I had that experience with a company, the face-up that they showed on the site had a much lighter tone around the eyes while the doll I recieved almost had a gothic style. I did however talk with them nicely and I ended up recieving a partial refund for the face up which made me very happy as I then could ship the doll to someone who can re-do it.

This company did listen on me when I showed them pictures where I compared the face-ups, but I've heard of companies that even sent a half-made face-up without the accessories to it and when the costumer complained, they only sent the accessories and asked her to finish it. This is something that would frustrate me as I'm not that good with face-ups. If I buy a face-up then I don't expect that I have to do anything with it more than properly maintaining it.

5. As an artist I totally agree it is difficult to replicate a face up 100% but if I pay for face up 'A' and you clearly send me face up 'C' then that is where the problem lies. I feel that you (the company) should at least refund the face up since it is too expensive to send the head back.

You are lucky tht you got a refund. I don't know If the difference in culture accounts for them not realizing how costly these dolls are and how much of a sacrifice it is to be able to buy them. I am not sure if they just think that buying a $1000.00 BJD is like buying a $65.00 pair o jeans to us. If I spend that kind of money on anything here in the US you better believe I would expect a certain level of service to go along wih such a pricey purchase. When I buy my niece an American Girl doll which only cost $120.00, the service I receive is so impeccable, that I cannot help but shop there again. I have had dolls with defects as small as a square centimeter and the entire doll was replaced no questions asked because the company cares about its' reputation and what product carries it's name. This is supposed to be one of the Top tier BJD companies and other than their lack of urgency for customer copmplaints, I am usually their biggest advocate. I am just disappointed in ho they handled this.

6. If the company offers more than one face-up option and they gave you a different one than you ordered (using your example, they gave you face-up C instead of face-up A)...I think that the mistake is on their part. In that case, I would think that you should get at lease a partial refund. Was that the case, or does the company in question only offer one type of face-up per mold?

I personally have never experienced this from a company, but I have gotten custom face-ups or mods with flaws. It's never a great experience, especially when that person refuses to offer a discount or partial refund.

7. Since this thread seems to be focused on a particular experience with a particular doll maker, we are locking it. The topics of company faceups and customer service have been brought up before in a more general manner, and those threads are still available for reading and posting.

Mariano G, if you feel the need to express your feelings about this transaction on Den of Angels, please post in the appropriate Customer Service Reviews thread.

8. I want to see the dolls from whatever angle possible too. Facing straight forward, sideways, three-fourths, looking up and down... as many as possible. One or few pictures is not enough for me. :(

9. I actually get a bit nervous when they won't show the whole doll in photos and won't take 'nude' photos of the doll (Without clothes and accessories) so I can see what their torsos and legs look like.

10. I agree many companies dont add enough photos of the doll as it will come. I get annoyed when there is no profile shot or even worse when i cant tell what kind of ears the doll has because it has a big curly wig on in every pic and there is no description. Ive had to email the company to ask what ears were on certain dolls before because they were new and i couldnt find any owner photos. Thank goodness for owner photos and videos. They've helped me out many times before buying a doll.

11. It's a serious issue!
      I just bought my husband a Delf Claus not that long ago and it was a very nice doll, only I feel the pictures Luts has on their site over embellish the sculpt. From certain angles they take pictures at it changes the dolls face completely. It can be very misleading and could lead to unhappy customers.

I agree with you Magicmage, they should put some basic pictures up showing flexibility and the general sculpt, not 30 of the same picture with the hand moved an inch or two.

12. I read from someone that there was a company who had their dolls posed in pictures in a way that they couldn't actually pose in real life. That deffinately freaked me out. I'm also concerned about getting a company face up because I hear lots of people say they've come home looking opposite the picture.

13. I think they kind of do, sometimes they best show the doll and in some cases they don't and you do have a point where the photos could be retouched and color adjusted so you won't know what the skin or face up really looks like

And the funny thing is a lot of the owner pictures sometimes look better than the companies lol