1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Dressing Techniques

Mar 10, 2017

1. I also hate taking the head off to put an outfit on. As far as hands go though, I found I can get around the problem by using jointed hands instead

2. It really depends for me!

I go over the head if:
      -It requires head removal (no opening in the back and neck hole is too small to fit over body OR head).
      -The body is bigger than the head and it's easier to go from the top. (My Iplehouse, Doll Chateau and April Story girls definitely have bigger hips and/or bust than head.)
      -It's a shirt that would be a pain to slide over a body, or might not fit over the shoulders/hips.

I go from the bottom if:
      -The dress opens up the back, so it's easier to slide over feet than risk messing up the faceup or eyelashes.
      -It's a skirt or pants.

It's funny, because I also vary on dressing myself. I wear a lot of dresses, and I have a large bust, sometimes the waist won't fit over my chest and shoulders if I try to pull it over my head, so I do step into the dress and pull it up!

3. I dress mine bottom up if I can, I try to pull as little as possible over her head because I don't want to ruin her faceup!xD

4. I default to dressing from the bottom upwards if I can. For shirts, I look for back enclosures, and button-downs and blouses that open from the front, so I don't have to worry about forcing a shirt over my doll's head.

#24 Selenae, Mar 14, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    5. I always dress my dolls from the bottom up. There are times when a sweater or dress won't go over their hips, so, I pull it over their heads. I rarely have to take their head or hands off when putting on clothes.

6. I usually dress my girl bottom-up but there are sometimes that I feel the dress or skirt might be tight getting up her hips so from the top it is.

7. This just what I do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I have to remove my dolls head because it's super big ( volks f-07 heads are huge), depending on the type of clothing I can start at the legs if it's pants or a skirt but for shirts and dresses I have to remove the head.

9. This has made me realize that some people dress their dolls without removing the head. :nowords:

I thought regular head switching was just a thing.

A lot of it just depends on the clothing and how it's made. My MSD clothing is mostly tube-style and is pulled over the head. My SD clothing is mostly front or back clasping and goes on like human clothes.

That being said, Souldoll Vito girl has to have her head removed for pretty much everything because her ass is so big that nothing her size fits over it.

I think the most difficult dressing I ever had to do was actually desocket the arms and pull them up over the neck joint in order to get the dress around the shoulders.

10. I like to dress them from the feet up. I am always afraid I will damage the face if I do it the other way. If I absolutely have to go over the head I either remove the head or cover it with something first.

11. I always try to go from the feet up... but if the outfit just won't allow it and I have to "dress top-down" I do typically pop the doll's head off. That's just easier for everyone involved.

12. That does make sense, outside of the very pear-shaped dolls. Of course, sometimes I just pop the head right off to dress my Fairyland boys, and go over the top.

13. If I can, I like to take the faceplate or head off if I am trying to get them into something complex. Almost all the doll clothes I make for my own dolls open up the back or the front for ease of dressing.

14. I would do it from bottom up because i wouldnt want to mess up the hair =//-//=

15. It depends on the article of clothing, but for dresses I'll go from the bottom up whenever possible. If it's a shirt I'll take the wig off of my doll and just slip it over their head if I have to. Thankfully most of the clothes that require me to remove the head of my doll first are for my Dollfie Dreams, so removing their head is a piece of cake.