1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Fashion Trends?

Jul 26, 2007

1. lol,
      i agree with you about dressing a girly mold like a total DUDE!
      I do that with my Lishe boy too..

I guess i just dress my dolls how i like..
      and i guess i mix everything up.

-->My girls have fashionita tight jeans, lolita/visual kei high platform-rocking horse shoes and emo-ish shirts? With Fruits style like colors and accessories...

There sure is a trend in doll world,
      but there is not one but a few.

you have some industrial punk/visual kei/j-rock going on..
      then you have most of the unoa-ish fans that have really casual-fashion
      and emo sometimes.
      And yeah.. you can go on like that.

I think everyone should decide for themselves..
      the only thing i dislike about it is the prices.
      Sometimes things just seem to become trends because they are expencive ~_~
      (like mio.. and other big brands)

2. I like bright colours but i also like the dark ones too. so I guess if/when I get my boy, He'll be a happy, colourful emo raver. But I think you should dress your dolly the way you/they want to be dressed. just my lil 2 cents worth.

3. This part of your post made me smile, because I have some of the same problems. I went nuts trying to find SD sized guns (I have managed to locate a few that are close to to the right size), and I get so excited when I see some for sale in the market place. I always keep my eyes peeled for combat type boots as well. I guess this is the price for having resin boys that can't stay out of trouble ; )

4. Wellll... >_>... <_<.... I'll claim that this is still On-Topic, because we WERE talking about "availability" and "just go shopping more" when it comes to fashions.... :sweat

This vendor is where my boys get all their guns (pistols, rifles, bazookas, the lot):
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75866

And some of the pairs of Non-Platform Combat Boots I have came from the dreaded Dollheart:
      http://www.dollheart.com/shop/shoes/LS-516.jpg (these are available now)
      http://www.dollheart.com/shop/shoes/LS-280.jpg (these are long gone)
      These are available right now at Soom:
      http://www.dollsoom.com/shop/step1.php?number=2549

Now for the Bakayaro Onna, we have $4.00 plain socks, without pirate-stripes (in Eiri's size!):
      http://dollmore.net/shop/step1.php?number=3327

And for loz64 and poprox, a buttload of non-black non-chunky shoes.
      http://www.volksusa.com/shoes-shoes-boutique.html
      http://dollmore.net/shop/step_submain.php?b_code=B20050506094358

OK, everybody SHOP!

5. That's actually who I ordered one of Frank's guns from : ) I would shop more, but then my bank account would literally catch fire and explode!

Having to search around for some of the more unusual props can be kind of fun--it's like a treasure hunt. I found some SD sized hand guns at a Dollar General--they came with a god-awfull looking giant action guy. You never know when you'll find something good.

6. I think at this point I have fewer issues with what's available (I've bought a couple of outfits and hope to be sewing for him myself, once he's here to try stuff on) than whether it's available! Everything I've liked on either eLuts or VolksUSA has been sold out. It was a little disturbing, since IRL I'm used to being out of the mainstream fashion-wise (the whole middle-aged goth dyke thang; oddly, not so popular *_* ) I had nightmare visions of going to a big meetup and seeing the exact same outfit my doll was wearing on a couple dozen other boys. That--and the price of clothes--is what's got me determined to learn to make my own wardrobe. If I can't do faceups and some of this other stuff, at least he can have strangely-constructed original clothes!

7. to be honest, i never even thought about it as trends.

each doll wears what they want to wear, it's their character

8. I feel with my dolls, their clothes match their personality. I bought Sultra with the intentions of making him a bright, bubbly Fruits style boy - and he turned out to be a punky goth. XD Karo started out as a baby goth (at least, that's what I called him), but he's gotten into many different styles since. Karrian wears whatever, and Rey wears anything that's bright. xD I don't really have labels or names for my dolls' styles.

As for other dolls, I don't care how the owner dresses them. It's their doll, and it's nobody else's place to judge how they dress them.

9. Thanks for pointing those out, JNem! I'll have to keep an eye out for those sold-out Dollheart ones - they look like they've got potential, but I'd have to see pictures of them on a doll to tell for sure. But I can tell right off the bat that the Soom ones are way too tall to work for military-issue combat boots (which generally come to just above the ankle or, at most, slightly below mid-calf). The in-stock Dollheart ones would be straight out for me, because they've got those spiffy laces up the back. Looks cool? Yes. Lets in water and nasties when you're slogging through a jungle or tromping around a desert, and is a pain in the 4$$ to deal with getting on and off in a hurry if you're injured (or just want to take your boots off)? Yes. No military practicality there. **sigh**

It's not simply that I'm picky about the accuracy of the style or something like that. For me, the real drive behind this is the sheer efficiency of the proper design. My dolls are just resin, but their characters would be relying on these things to stay alive in unfriendly situations. If it's got extra laces or weird buckles, it's not going to work the way they need it to. If the soles are massive, it's going to make them twist (or break) their ankle at a Very Bad Moment. Which may sound insane, but that's the way I think. The function of the item leads to its design, in my mind.

I DO have some decent combat boots. The soles are a bit thicker than I'd like, but not too bad. And the height on them is good. They originally had all sorts of add-ons, but those were removable, so I bought four pairs and stripped them down and PRESTO! But I'm always on the lookout for more accurate ones.

I don't really feel like very many of my dolls buy into any particular 'style,' per se. Though I will readily admit to a certain fetish for pockets, and I'm not even sure if that's mine, or theirs, or both.

Pockets, you see, are always useful. Always practical. And always filled with little things that could save your life in a pinch (you'd be amazed what you can do with a ball-point pen).

10. Thanks, JN! You are a treasure!

Too late! *laughs* I got Eiri some of those socks last month. His boat feet are definitely hard to fit with regular socks. I would love him to have some wild socks in blue with yellow dots, though.

I would love to have more wild and crazy socks for Shuichi, honestly. That boy drives me crazy - I want this! I want that! It's to the point I get him girl socks, just to shut him up. I don't mind pirate stripes, but I wish they come in other colours besides black and white, red and white and black and red. What about orange and hot pink? Green and purple?

I do shop a LOT for my stinky boys. I have links to many different doll clothing places and find more all the time. I am too lazy to pull out my sewing machines and make my own (except for the rare cosplay I cannot find anywhere). I am happy to let someone else make the goods for me to purchase.

What I have started doing is commissioning those inclined to sew to make specific items for me. This is how I get what I want. Sometimes, what is available on the commission thread is not absolutely exactly what I want, but I will use it because it is definitely better than having nothing. So what if the pants doesn't have a zipper fly? I have a pair of pants in the colour I want so I ignore the no zip and enjoy how well the clothing fits and looks on my guy.

Oh, to everyone - don't be shy about contacting the doll companies and making your requests. I do it all the the time. I may not ever see an item made I requested, but I think that if enough of us requested the same 'something', like a particular shirt style in a specific colour, the company would probably seriously consider bringing the item into their line.

I asked Dollmore for more dress shoes for Model Doll guys and they have some now!

11. that is exactly why i want to dress my dolls in punk/emo/lolita style. :D i think there's a lot of those styles of clothing because that's what's popular at the moment. but if you can't find the style of clothing you want on a site all the more motivation to create your own clothes right? that's my plan anyway *is soon to be broke* XD

12. Actually... some of the clothes my dolls wear are clothes that I used to wear. =P I had some really great/fun perkygoth days back in high school and college, but now I have to be all grown up and work in an office. ^_^ Dressing my dolls in a goth style (cutesy goth for Iris, "business-goth" for Hrist) is a way for me to vicariously relive my own goth days. =P

13. I hate that I always seem to feel bad that my boy is punk. He's hard core 1970's punk though. Not EMO, which I didn't even know what that was untill I started messing with ABJD. Dark is not Emo, he's punk. As such, its still harder to find clothes for him. As said other places, its hard to find "normal" clothes like t-shirts and jeans for dolls, especially girl dolls. Lucky for us, there are local vendors like beachgirlnikita out of portland OR, who see this gap and are making clothes to fill it.

Then of course there is moggie the Aussie who provides me with fetish gear for my Hael, the Dom!

And, I think I'll have to harrass Kiya for one of those hostlers!

~tori

14. Just as there are trends in human fashion, so are there in doll fashions. While the dark, Goth look does seem overdone sometimes (and my boys contribute to that) if you look around you'll actually find a wide diversity of styles shown here & on other boards. Finding different styles to purchase can be a challenge at times but again, there are seamstresses & designers who cover almost all the bases.

Personally, almost all my boys tend to wear some form of Elegant Goth or leather. Don't ask me why; it's not like they don't have more casual clothing too. My girls, however, are all over the place fashion wise, everything from evening wear to fantasy to historical to jeans & t-shirts. It's one of the things that appeals to me about these dolls. You can dress them as outrageously as you want & they still look good in it.

Naturally some people are going to see a certain look & become attracted to it then dress their dolls in a similar style. That's just the way fashion is & in this crazy doll world there's room for everything. And hey, if something's not your cup of tea, just scroll past it.

15. My dolls still haven't really established styles, and right now I stick to the classic tshirt and jeans. I don't go for clothing trends, just what I want.

I do admit that it can be frustrating to shop for clothes, when much of what you can only find is skull shirts and poofy skirts. One of these days I'm really going to have to learn to sew.

16. Currently, Lucy's wearing a blue and black striped armwarmer that I improvized into a shift dress since he's still got a female chest plate (He's an Obitsu, so yeah). When I do get him more manly clothes, I think I'm going to just run the gammut between more clasical tailored suits to punky clothes to t-shirt/jeans and everything in between. When I get myself a girl, I'm definately making her wear girly and frilly clothes. I think that alot of people go into the 'trends' not so much to hop on the bandwagon but because they themselves like those clothes. I myself like and activly wear lolita clothing (and I'll be wearing lots of it at Anime Fest here in Dallas), and I'm making lots of loli skirts at the moment with plans on selling them. When I get my girl, she'll be wearing loli clothes as well. I'll also be making other clothes for my dolls, especialy historical clothes (I love robe a'la francias (aka the 'marie antoinette dress' or the 'sack dress') and I plan on making one with some fabric that I have) and asian clothes.
      I also think that why people feel that some of the more 'trendy' outfits are better recived in galleries is because in the 'real world' if someone wore that they'd usualy be viewed in a negitave light (I know I am sometimes. Once I had some guy mistake me for a hooker. >.<), so when they see the clothes on the dolls and it's a style that they themselves wish they could wear, they fawn all over it. I also think that the more 'normal' clothes like jeans and t-shirts and stuff like that isnt' recived as well just because we see that ALL THE TIME on people in the real world. After all, how many little teenybopper girls do you see running around in tight lowrider jeans and itty bitty t-shirts that have words like 'slut' or something written across them? I know I see them all the time. And with guys how often do you see the hip-hop, wannabe-gangster style? Once again, all the time. We get bored with it in the real world so we dont' want to see it on our dolls.
      Also, I think alot of people dress their dolls in certain ways because the sculpt 'speaks' to them in that way. For instance, the Luna sculpt from Volks I could NEVER see in my minds eye dressed in just jeans and a t-shirt. In my minds eye I always see her in loli clothes. Granted, when she was unveiled she was wearing loli clothes, but even then I couldn't see her in anything but loli clothes. There are other sculpts that I just can't see dressing in certain styles. Like the Unoas I cant' see dressing in loli.
      And I agree with several of the commenters that if you don't like a certain style, just scroll past it. I like almost all styles, and even if it's not a style that I like on real people, I still like to see how it looks on dolls and see how the owner did the style on their doll. And when it comes to shopping for clothes, it's just a case of where you're looking. Granted, there's tons of the goth/punk/loli stuff on sites right now, but it sells well. And if you cant' find something that you want, learn to sew, or have someone make it for you.
      Anywho, enough rambling from me. I need to go work on some skirts.

17. I guess it depends on the mould too, you see many EMO El's. I think sometimes a dolls fashion sense is tied to the moulds stereotype.

18. I've never been one to follow trends. If I see something that I like, I'll wear it, whether it's "cool" or not. The same goes for my dolls. I dress them in what I like, and what suits their character.
      Melchior Xylaz dresses in dark classic type clothes, slightly goth
      Imbri will dress in mostly cutesy things, not a stitch of black
      Michael and Atheriel will dress in angelic clothing, being that they're angels
      Lilith is going to be pretty much a wild boy, shirtless, long nails, and very low-rise pants
      Alicestor is going to dress in girly things, punk/goth type mostly, no lacies, with the possible exception of underthings... :sweat
      Julian (If I get him) Will be mostly in conservative gentleman's clothes

So really, they'll be all over the map. It's their characters that define what my dolls wear, not trends.

I think people should be careful about slapping opinions on people based on what their dolls wear. It's true they MIGHT be following trends, or maybe they just happen to like what is popular, regardless of trends.
      I know I'd give Alicestor a modified girl body and dress him like that, even if it wasn't considered popular. It's just who he is.

19. Personally I dig the punk and goth look because that's what I was in High School and College. Living in Japan I love to take in all the cool street fashion and lolita wear, things I wish had been around the 20 years ago that I was in high school. Now I don't wear that sort of thing, but I like that my doll can continue to take on the punk fashion that I can't anymore! I'll always have a soft spot for it...

I'd actually like to see more old school punk and goth though... some Siouxsie Sioux and Young Robert Smith...

Or some nice classic Mod looks... Now that's a trend I wish would happen... :-)

denkiva