1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Fashion Trends?

Jul 26, 2007

1. I think that there are a lot of emos/lolitas/girly boys etc. because it's sort of a trend in the human world too. Dolls reflect this, what we want to be. Like it or not. Some years ago there were no emos in people and not in dolls. Now there is. Pink came popular in men and -whoa!- lot's of girly boys on the streets.

2. There are different looks, but what one doesn't see too much of at all is true high fashion and real couture. I don't know if there is a market for it and if people are willing to pay for it. I love to do fine sewing and hand beading, but it takes forever on this scale. I love French lace and ribbons, Italian silks and real pearls and beads. But would people understand that the ribbon is 25.00 a yard? I don't know...

I have tons of this stuff in my attic, converted garage and two room sized closets. Would people pay for it though? That's my question.

There are lots of different looks and it depends on the dolls. The ethereal types from Supia and Limhwa are often dressed in such lovely floaty stuff...goes with the french resin. Iplehouse and Rainy seem to inspire more high fashion and sexy stuff. The "big eyed" dolls seem to inspire fantasy. The doll and her faceup set the style for me. I've taken to multiple heads for the same body so I can do different looks. The longer I'm into these dolls the more I like the diversity--a little punk is fine. Emo too. I don't do Loli--do vintage.

I can never make up my mind and commit to just one look. I like bits of everything and enjoy combining it in new ways. A sort of fashion salad--but balanced. I like the edge and surprise of mixing it up, but not overdoing it. Mostly I just shop for shoes and fun accessories and sew whatever comes to mind. Stuff I would wear now if I were younger--and thinner-Hah! Nothing screamingly sexy and overly revealing but form fitting and definitely different--and colorful!

Yeah--mostly I buy shoes. Know what I want--the Vans ballet flat tennis shoe! The perfect casual shoe, not too clunky, in every color and PU metallics. Anyone else want this?

Fashion is popular and comes and goes, but style remains. Go for the style factor. So says Coco Chanel :)

3. I just bought my doll, so I can't say much. However, i love sewing his clothing and i go for a combined mix of modern/punk and old English fashion.

4. Hmm, I haven't gotten my girl yet, but I've spent hours upon hours searching for clothes for her, so...

I do notice a LOT of loli/emo stuff out there, but at the same time, I do also find a lot of jeans/t shirts/sneakers and things like that, too. I think it all depends on where you look. I've seen many loli dolls, but for every say five of those I also see someone who's dressed their doll in a casual style, too.

It doesn't bother me if I see a ton of loli style, though - and I only say 'loli' in particular because I actually really like loli on dolls. So I'm not really complaining about the current trends - I like them ^^

I guess, to me, it doesn't really matter what I see when I'm looking at photos because I'm more or less just trying to get an idea of the personality someone has given their doll. So I could see like dolls dressed in the same style, but it doesn't so much bother me because they all have differing personalities - and that's part of the fun of doll-collecting/creating ^^

5. I would really love to see this hobby reach the level of Fashion Doll when it comes to clothing and accessories... with an equal quality and selection. It sucks to have to buy a Tonner just to steal her/his clothes...

While a lot of people are pointing out that there is, in fact, a variety of clothes to be had... when you compare the different clothes to the sheer amounts of black/goth/lolita/bondage clothing out there for dolls, there really isn't as much... or, a lot of it that is being made isn't even near the quality of someplace like Dollheart, so while you CAN buy it, it's kind of depressing to know that you'd be spending very close to what you'd be spending for a Dollheart outfit to get something that's about a quarter of the quality. (I'm just using Dollheart as an example because I love the quality of their clothes and shoes...).

I'd also like to see a lot more quality accessories, like handbags, etc... and not just coin purses that people have slapped a strap on and are calling them a "BJD Purse"

6. I have to agree with most, while it's fine that people want to dress they're dolls however they want, it's really difficult for me to find any... normal looking clothes, everyday stuff. So this kinda irks me a little, since I'm very interested in fashion, so the lack of any mix-n-match clothing makes me a wee bit sad.

I haven't got my girl *yet*, but I am planning on sewing a few simple dresses for her. While the lolita stuff looks pretty and girly, I don't think my Roxy would be comfortable in something so extravagant.

What I'd like to see are more normal kinda clothing, I don't think making them would be terribly expensive, so owners can go ahead and buy a jacket, shirt and skirt combo for the doll and not have a dented wallet by the end of the day.

Also? Normal shoes X_X; I used to think the chained up, laced up and cross-spammed boots were the hottest thing since sliced bread, but I've seen too much of it now D:

Which is why HDS is such a godsend to me X_X

7. Doll trends reflect human trends, it's that simple. From what I've seen, a lot of people here share common interests, therefore, there will be similar tastes in dolly fashion.

Sometimes people do admire a certain doll or type of doll they see on the forum and imitate the genre, but I think that's not as bad as liking something and NOT putting it on your doll just because it's trendy. If you like it do it, who cares if it's something we've seen a million times or something that will be considered weird and unsual. All that matters is that it makes you happy, right? ;)

8. Doll fashion is so much fun to observe and I see nothing wrong with it. I don't love trends, in fact I'm rather bored by them, but I still see nothing wrong with others following them.

The reason why so many people dress their dolls the same way is that the market for doll clothes isn't all that big. It's really hard to find something unique and the answer is often to make it yourself or find someone to make it for you if you are really lucky.
      The doll companies have their own taste and style and the same goes for doll clothing-designers. It's difficult to change that.
      Another big reason for these doll trends are that the people who like these dolls often belong to these subcultures or styles themselves.

Personally I love to dress my dolls in all the colours that I love and make them the clothes I dream about. When I later make clothes to sell I make clothes that I would want my own dolls to wear and sometimes others like my style aswell. And I personally hate black (unless in small amounts) I don't even wear it myself.

9. I think the majority of this website is, girly boys/emos/faeries/demons/vampires and anything that could be spawned off an anime. It would be nice to see some high fashion trends you see now, but then you'd call it barbie.[or Bratz]
      But thats what makes it so much fun [the anime qualities this website has not barbie D: ] :B
      I like how people's personalities reflect off of thier dolls. It makes this site what it is, and what more could you want?

10. I agree with you 100%. LisaMarie. I adore expensive French silk ribbon & lace and have done hand-beading, so I kow how time-consuming & tedious it can be--but what a fabulous end result. I prefer couture. And high fashion does not mean prissy or snotty--it means a great attention to detail, beautiful fabrics and mountains of hand-work done extremely well.
      I'm with you all the way, LM! Let our girls wear what we would.
      I love the vintage look, having sold vintage clothing for several years and collected it for longer. Beautiful things will remain beautiful.
      I'd love some simple, go-with-anything shoes, too. Sabrina flats and glamourous Jimmy Choos, too.

11. I'm pretty boring when it comes to styling my dolls I guess. I like more realistic, everyday type stuff. Jeans, slacks, bouses, clean lined dresses, etc. I REALLY dislike all the frilly loli stuff... but I'd LOVE to get my hands on a cute, teeny, frilly little maid outfit for a... umm... photoshoot. ;)

12. I think my dolls gonna be an extention to my own style... and I myself don't have a definit style... I tend to wear mostly black, since everytime I go shopping I buy black stuff, 'cause I think black can be mixed with every other color...but in the end, I only have black stuff :lol: (well... I also have dark turquise/green hair... a hard colormatch :sweat )
      my first doll is going to wear some black, torn jeans, a torn white shirt and sneakers (like converse)... some kind of mixture of dark wave/punk/grunge...
      the other one is going to wear kurt cobain-inspired outfits... so I gonna have to sew some flannel shirts :lol:

but I also want to make some real glamrock clothes... like in the movie Velvet Goldmine... bright colors, gold and silver, glitter... :D

I'm not a big fan of the emo-trend (unlike goth and punk, it is still a trend... since it's young and yet haven't proven to last)... just a personal issue...

I really don't care, what style other people dress their dolls with... it's still fun to look at the pictures :)

13. I don't have a problem, really, with shopping for clothes. I've found a variety of casual, "mundane" clothing that would suit my kid, as well as some nicer romantigoth and punk looks (I just wish it wasn't so expensive--a single button-down shirt costs more than my entire wardrobe; must. improve. sewing skills. DX ). I've also seen other people's dolls wearing different fashions, and while not everything has been my cup of tea, I'm more interested in and appreciative of the way what someone's doll is wearing helps to convey a character.

Okay, so there's a lot of crossdressing, gay, goth/punk/Lolita vampire boys out there. I think this has more to do with the fact that the board attracts people who like that sort of thing, either because they're really into it (reaction to the everyday, mundane world; fascination with things seen as "dark" or "exotic," et cetera) or because they just discovered it because Person X's beautiful doll was wearing this nifty outfit, and they wanted to see if their own little chunk'o'resin would carry it half as well. It's not entirely a bad thing for people to like something that's "popular!"

Also, it comes down to a matter of economics. The darker, more fetish-y and/or gothic-punk stuff sells. It sells really well. Companies are going to make more of it. Now, people who can't sew or design their own clothes are going to have to shop from larger companies or the more well-known, reliable seamstresses. They can dig for casual/mundane clothing, suits, fantasy costumes, or whatever; indeed, many do and find what they're looking for. But others will buy the darker stuff, because they like it and/or it's in plentiful supply. This further encourages companies to continue making the darker clothing. Want to see a bigger selection of bright colors, mundane clothes, and the like? Dig it up and buy it. The fashion spectrum isn't going to shift unless more people influence it to.

Yes, thank you! It irks me when people confuse the two, when really they're nothing alike in terms of fashion, music, or the subcultural scene--and emo doesn't have artistic or literary roots, either! Not to mention that goth is actually a rather extensive spectrum of fashions, from rivethead to deathrocker, from candygoth to romantigoth, cybergoth to corporate goth, and beyond. It's not all mallgoth Tripp pants and cheap Hot Topic chain wallets!

14. i like thefashion trends most people come up with for their dolls, although, i think i'd like to see more insane fashion trends, like the unsual catwalk designs that some human fashion designers do.

15. I like seeing fashion designs on dolls, something I normally would not wear in public

16. I'd say it's a very personal thing. There are things I dislike which other obviously do (or they wouldn't dress their dolls in them) and there will be things I like that others wouldn't touch.

I've never been fashionable in my life - wouldn't know here to begin. I wear the clothes I like to wear and don't really care whether anyone else likes them.

I dress my dolls from the same perspective. I dress them in whatever I like and think will suit them regardless of whether it's "fashionable" or not (if it were fashionable, it would be pure chance....{g}).

I'm fussy about what I do and don't like.

I know don't like a lot of BJD trends in fashion/dress... but discussing them is hampered by the fact that I don't know what most of those styles are called, (or even if they have names).

Lolita/gothic-lolita is one I know the name of and don't like. from what I've seen it relies on skirts that are too short to bother having tskirts at all, and miles of nylon lace ruffles {shudder}. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm 0K with basic jeans&T-shirts styles, btu not very ahppy with extremes (jeans tha baggy they hang around the hips instead of fitting around the waist I dispise on both dolls and on people - it makes them look and walk as though they've crapped their pants are trying not to let it touch their behinds while they walk)

For child dolls, I like old fashiones styles (smocked and embroidered dresses etc)

For more mature dolls... Chic and stylish, smart casual and historical styles (and I'm fussy about the accuracy of cut, fabric and detail with the historical ones... I don't mind cheats as long as they look the part, but shudder at obvious ones and wildly incorrect details like puffed sleeves on 18th century dresses, crushed-velvet medieval, darts used to shape bodices for styles from periods before darts were used, short "modern" waistcoats with full-skirted 18th century style frock-coats, obviously modern boots and shoes with any period style of dress.).

There are also common elements I see which I don't like - such as the oh-so-popular seperate sleeve. Basically a tube, be it simple of fancy/elaborate shoved onto the arm, looking as if it's an afterthought or made simply because there was a bit of matching fabric left over from making the rest of the outfit and they didn't want to waste it.

Pseudo military styles are... a mixed bag for me, some I like , some slide too far toward the fetish-look end of the range for my liking.

Clunky, thick-soled boots and shoes except with obviously punk or goth otufits... to me they look completely out of place with more mainstream styles of clothes.

I could go on.... but taste in dress style is such a personal thing everybody could come up with lists of their own likes and dislikes that may overlap but are unlikely to be exactly the same.

Teddy

17. That's not what lolita is at all. Lolita does have a lot of frill, but cheap nylon lace isn't a part of it. Or, at least, it shouldn't be. D=

Lolita and gothic lolita (and all of the other five bajillion offshoots thereof) are very modest styles. Elements of the style include but aren't limited to: knee-length dresses and skirts, a bell-shaped silhouette, and a few (tasteful) frill accents--the fashion is very Victorian-inspired, and the idea is to look very much like a porcelain doll. I admit I haven't been paying that much attention to what people have been putting on their dolls, but I should hope that they haven't been putting them in obviously fetish outfits and calling it "lolita!"

18. Thank you. Well said^^

19. I've been searching around for months for an outfit that would fit my character. I find it slightly insulting when people insinuate that people like me aren't looking hard enough. It is not that we aren't looking hard enough, it is that NO ONE sells it. Or if you do get a break and someone sells it, it doesn't fit. Or maybe it is in the same style, but it just doesn't appeal to you. Does every punk/emo/goth/lolita outfit appeal to those who enjoy that genre? Which I think is the most insulting part! That people just link you to things in the style and go "Here you go, look around next time" when it still isn't quite what you are looking for!

All one can do is commission someone. And even those people are hard to find!

20. I actually think that the doll fashion trend mimics our trends. The emo kids, lolitas and girly boys are a 'now' thing, so we dress our dolls up as it. If suddenly the 'new' trend in our lives were extreme muscle-y men ((no more girly boys =O ::oh noes!::)) then maybe new boy dolls would change O_o ((scary thought))