1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Meets: Why? What are they to you?

May 2, 2011

1. I, personally, have never been to a dolly meet up because I'm slightly intimidated. I've heard a lot of them already have their cliques, and I'm never one to fit in with any cliques at all. I didn't in Middle School, I didn't in High School, I didn't in college, and I most certainly don't now. I'm a person of many interests, diverse opinions, and am extremely open minded to a lot of things. I'm kind of an outsider that never really fit IN ANYWHERE. This is by no means asking anyone to feel bad for me, because I do have many friends, and a lot of really CLOSE friends that I love and trust. However...

In high school, I remember not having many friends because of how involved cliques were, me being the new kid and staring at the lunch room like "O_O;" and sitting at a table by myself. I think I'm just kind of scared that would happen to me again, as I am kind of...hm, not shy, I'm just very bad with "small talk?" I guess? ut-going, and I only have one other dolly friend IRL who has yet to receive her first dolly. Maybe once she gets her dolly in, I'll feel more comfortable if I have someone to go with.

But I have always wanted to go to meet new people in the hobby, and to see what they've done with their dollies, and get tips from people as to how to do things. ^.^

2. Okay, I'm not going to answer the questions you asked in the first post, because I'd prefer to give my general opinion on Doll Meets.
      I'm 13 years old, and when I attended my first meet, I was 12. I know. Very young. And because of this, I felt out of place among the older women there, but none the less, I enjoyed myself. The last time I'd seen that many people into BJDs, like myself, was at an anime convention the year previous, and I had NO IDEA what they were. In fact, I hated them (it was my mom who liked them, and now she's really freaked out by them. x'D). I was totally freaked out. But I went to a panel by a certain Ms. Lanie Labens, and my eyes were opened. <3 Since BJDs are just one of my many, many, many hobbies, I found it a littttllleeee hard to talk about them for all ~2 hours I was there. So me and my accompanying buddy sort of talked off on our own about other random stuff, and I believe we may have negatively contributed to the meet. BUT! As soon as my most recent doll arrives, I'll probably go to another meet with more to contribute, because even if it was a little awkward, it was fun.

3. I usually describe DollMeets as "show & tell for doll collectors" when I'm telling non-Doll friends about them, because I think that's a big plus for having them. I think this is especially true when you live in an area where there's not a physical store where one could personally experience what a 60cm (or bigger!) resin doll looks & feels like. It's also great to see how people have customised their dolls w/faceups, wigs, outfits, etc.

4. I have just attended a "BJD Tea Party" and it was wonderful. Got to pick up some local friends to head down to the city and meet with the rest. The sense of local BJD community, the dolls, the visiting and learning more about BJD's in general - the high tea and sandwiches!! Had a lovely time and I hope to get together with all of them again

5. You all have good points, though I feel sorry for Brightfires. You know, you could possibly organize a sub-group, say an age-bracket, or even just contact your old friends for get-togethers.

My first doll meet was a bit overwhelming, but then, it was for our host too. 40 people showed! However, I did get to see what it was all about, and have since followed the monthly meets. We do a lot of variety, from homes, to garden shows, to parks, indoors, outdoors, zoos, ren fairs, coffee shops. Each meeting features something for specific tastes, so the artsy-types have photo opportunities, the gossipy types have the chance to sit and chat, those in the market for ideas, stringing parties, etc enjoy the gatherings that feature this. All in all, it's a fantastic group.

6. I have only been to one doll meet, and it was at a doll shop. It was fun to shop and chat at the same time, and just to coo at other folks' dolls. It gives me a chance to see different sculpts, experience their looks and weights and sizes. Also, as someone who is doing face-ups and sewing for her own dolls, it's a chance to see other styles and pick up hints and tips from people with more experience.

I'm not sure I'd want to do any modifications at a doll meet, unless all the tools were provided, as lugging that stuff around would be a pain. I would, though, enjoy a doll crafting meet, as I love to sew and crochet, and it would be fun to do that with others, and chat, and swap patterns. For me, as I am also trying to work toward doing doll sewing and crochet commissions, meets are also a chance to ask about what people want for their dolls that they don't care to make themselves (for me it's underwear; I hate sewing doll panties), and what prices other people think are reasonable or would be willing to pay for certain types of items. I like computer feedback, but sometimes speaking to people in person is just so much better. There is also, I would agree, a certain level of "show and tell." Anyone who loves something wants to show it off occasionally. ;)

7. No need to.

I could try rounding up the original group of owners... but honestly, I've moved on from that aspect of the hobby. Like taking doll pictures, it was fun at the time, but isn't so much of an interest any more. I've pretty much evolved into one of those anti-social doll owners to keeps their collection all to themselves. XD

8. Being from NY, you really have no excuse not to check out the local group. The NYC meetup is a very informal and friendly monthly event. You might be surprised how quickly you'll discard your apprehensions. ;) Several years ago when I was new to the hobby, those were the people who showed me the ropes. Since then, I have never met a person or seen a doll I didn't like.

9. In OKC, we don't really do the same thing all the time. I'd say we have two flavors of 'regular' meets, a semi-weekly Friday night in the back room of the local Panera meet, and a semi-monthly 'workday' meet. The Panera meets are definitely social gatherings. We talk, we gossip, we futz around with the dolls and nosh. Workday meets are exactly that, held in a space that has the room and resources to spread out and restring, suede, clean, sew, and do faceups. They are usually all-day affairs with enough snacks to feed an army, and not particularly structured beyond the 'come, hang out and things may or may not get done.'

We also frequently go to places like the Myriad Gardens for photo ops, or travel as a group to hold joint meets with other groups in the region. We've met up with Dallas, Tulsa and Wichita that way. My doll chicas have also become some of my closest friends, and we have frequent movie and anime nights, etc that really aren't about the dolls at all. I love our group, and I consider it one of the best things about being in the hobby.

10. I know how you feel, I can remember when I went to my first doll meet I was very very intimidated, which is unusual as usually I am very good with chatting to new people etc. I found that going with a friend really helped me because if you get awkward and forget how to hold conversation then at least someone can introduce you to the group and get you talking about things that you enjoy. In fact I don't think I would want to go to a doll meet where I didn't know anyone there previously.

What do we want from doll meets?
      Personally it's just nice to be in a place where playing with dolls isn't considered weird. I have always been a bit of what my dad describes as a gippy (a geeky-hippy) and I have found that a lot of the doll owners I hang out with have similar interests, which helps everything feel nice and natural. I find things like meets can sometimes be dangerous too though. I don't profess to know a lot about dolls, so I'm not particularly interested in being in a room where that is the only thing we all have in common. I like to 'talk shop' as much as the next gal, but there's a limit to how much I care about the evolution of luts or why so and so's resin is vastly superior to another.

However one thing that is always fun is photo taking. And I always get the giggles when someone has rearranged my dolls without me noticing into a funny or compromising position. It's a bit like when there are more people around the dolls personalities flourish.

If you have characters and stories behind your dolls would you be happiest playing story building games?
      YES! In fact this is an element that first attracted me to the hobby, I may not be very good at it but I love to write, and I love talking to other writers about their own work and others work. It's not something I get to do very often as not many people who I see regularly know I like to write because I can get embarrassed. With other doll owners it's like I haven't got much to loose because most of them have already read some of my scribblings on some forum anyway.

However it's also not something I get to do often as a lot of the dolly people I know are either extremely good photographers or pro quality customize-rs, which is difficult as I am amateur on a good day and have never had a very steady hand. It can be embarrassing when everyone is an excellent face-up artist or designer etc and I there going 'Once Upon a Time' XD

Is it possible to have a format for a meet that would make everyone feel welcome?
      Yes I think it is, it's not hard to make people feel welcome. It just requires some tea some nibbles and (if you have access) a got host. I think the difficult one is catering to everyone's different tastes, and the larger the group the more difficult it becomes. If you want to keep everyone buzzing along at the same pace then I think smaller meets are better. Or massive ones where people can split into changing groups depending on where their whims take them.

11. I mostly go to chat with other doll owners, right now I only talk with one irl. As well as the community aspect. Also, as an aspiring bjd seamstress and crochet artist I go to talk with other artists.

I don't go to meets much any more. I prefer to go to peoples houses, public areas seem awkward in a socializing aspect. But on the same token I don't like going to someone's house with my expensive dolls and it be dirty or grungy, and it has happened. It was so bad at one meet I didn't take my dolls out if their carriers. If you're going to host a meet at your house, show a little respect to your guests and clean. It sounds rude, but yeah...

So I guess I mostly go to socialize. Preferably in a CLEAN, personal environment.

12. I got for the camaraderie, the freebie and sales table, and the opportunity to see other dolls. I think the needs of the meet depends on the community, but I've really enjoyed going to Dairyland Meets. Getting to see other doll owners--especially if you get to know them on a forum board--and seeing the dolls in person is really cool. And it helps you feel connected. Also, getting to do trades and sales in person is neat. :) While I am a shy person, I've often found myself loosening up and getting comfortable at meets because I feel I am among friends.

13. Why do we go to doll meets?

Beyond just getting together with dolls? I think it depends on the person, but most just are happy to get together with other owners and their dolls and chat.

what do we want from doll meets?

For me, just the basics. But if other stuff is happening, too, it's a plus.

1. See dolls
      2. Chat with owners
      3. See a new place?
      4. Maybe get some good pictures?
      5. Maybe eat something?
      6. Maybe have some doll activities?
      7. Maybe see new dolls?

But really, the basics is good if I'm in the mood for a doll meet!

Is it possible that what people want from a meet varies with how they "use" the hobby?
      • As a seamstress would you want a meet sewing together meeting at a fabric store and shopping together? ​
      • As a customiser would you enjoy a meetup at a place where you could show eachother technique?​
      • If you have characters and stories behind your dolls would you be happiest playing story building games?​
      • Would a photographer prefer meets in parks or places where more artsy photos would be possible?​

I don't think it's tied to what a person does in the hobby... most of us do a little to a lot of a lot of things and many are interested in learning about stuff they haven't ever done... and plenty already know more about it all than most people... So I think the general interest is best.

I've been to stringing meets and customizing meets and all kinds of different meets (I'm lucky to be in a big populated area with lots of doll owners). I think most people like the basics, but will also like to try all the other stuff, too, no matter their primary doll-interest.

Is it possible to have a format for a meet that would make everyone feel welcome?

I think if the basic meets are friendly and open, then that's ideal. It's the "welcome" part that matters. Just be friendly and have dolls and talk about dolls--that's the main thing. More specialized meets are great too if you find there's enough interest. Try it and see!

But most people are happy if the meetups are welcoming and friendly!

14. They are a place where I can meet like minded people they are always fun to look at dolls I might get in the future doll meets are how I found out I don't like SD's

15. I haven't gone to a meet yet, but I'd love to go to one where everyone brings some dolls with outfits and accessories they've made so I can oh and ah and then ask how they got that effect/made that hem/crafted that accessory/mod/whatever. I want to discuss tips, technique, get ideas and advice on the best purchase places for materials. If it were a group where everyone bought everything, I probably won't go that often.

16. I've never gone to a meet, but I saw there was a meet in my area at a fabric store, and I kind of regret not going. I worried about being too much of a novice sewer and embarrassing myself. I do like the idea of having crafting-based meets, though. Even though I have a story in mind for my dolls, I think I enjoy that part more on my own.

17. Most of our meets seem to be either lunch or coffee, but sometimes we have workshops, or park outings. I like that they're varied. I'm not sure how long I could go to the same place and talk about the same stuff. XD

What I like at a meet:
      -Community
      -sales/trades
      -seeing dolls I don't own
      -taking pictures of my dolls with others' dolls (even though I often get distracted and forget to take pix)
      -learning new things (sewing tips, modding, sculpting, etc)
      -making new friends

18. I go to meets to show off my dolls, to discuss dolls, and really to just hang out with friends and admire BJDs. It gets me out of the house and I get to spend he whole day focused on dolls! A lot of times, the meets are held at the local doll shop, so I can do a little shopping too. I also take lots of photos, and get help for problems I may have.

19. I really think its important to have friends with the same interests as you.
      My doll community is pretty friendly for the most part and there's no one there that is snooty or has a 'holier-than-thou' kind of attitude and thats really nice.
      I'm fairly new to all of this so I ask a lot of questions and ask for opinons on certain plans that I have, and it's really nice to have someone there to answer them who isnt going to get extremely annoyed with me.