1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Names : Orginality vs Characters

Sep 16, 2007

1. I'm an owner of both types... xD But I believe I prefer my original dolls over my character ones. I like the freedom. My names aren't the most original damn names ever... xD;;; But it never really bothered me, names are names. What really mattered is that if I like the name myself, not trying to be 100% original. 'Cept Chax. I'm pretty sure there is no one else that I know of or have found with this name on board. The coming of his name to me was... spontaneous.

I like my character dolls too. Not that it's much of a challenge for me to take on the role of a certain character/person... I did it often, and I love accuracy. S'all good on both sides for me.

2. The first question you asked is discussed in depth in this thread.

As to the second question, there are a few dolls with the same names around here, and although I don't own one of them, I imagine it would be a bit difficult to share a well-known doll name, there might be occasional confusion about which doll you're discussing, but I suppose if the doll is that 'famous' you'd probably already know about it before you named your doll.^^;

3. Though I find fandolls quite wonderful to behold, I would likely never get one. I do a lot of tabletop roleplay--I'm used to creating my own characters from scratch and used to the freedom it allows me. I'd get impatient with a fandoll fairly quickly, for all that I write fanfiction.

As far as my original dolls go, I'd be mad if somebody stole the story I had for them--NOT their names. All my dolls, extant and planned, are named after bacteria and viruses (with the exception of Nick--he's actually named after a street near me and while you don't meet guys named Nicodemus much anymore, it is a quite legitimate human name). It's not like I can throw a fit about some other biology nerd going, "I'll name my doll after a bacteria! 8B" and just happening to pick the same ones I did. Personally, though, I hope they pick some of the cool ones I didn't get to use, like Klebsiella or Pseudomonas. We can be dorky together; it'll be fab. 8)

BTW, True Crimson, "lucilius" isn't Latin for "light." "Lux" is. Lucilius is, however, a Roman name, quite likely derivative of the word "lux," and is very close to the Latin word for "shining" and "bright" (lucidus). I think Luciel is a very pretty name, and Latin derivatives always make me squeebly. :) </latinnerd>

4. Hmm, all of my dolls are 100% of my own creation...I personally find it hard to base a doll off a character. When I base a doll off a character I feel as if I have to stick with that characters personality and that it would be wrong to deviate from that. For example if by some miracle I decide to turn my dear Lichuen into Sesshomaru from Inuyasha I would feel bad if I made Seshomaru oh I don't know...change his personality so that it matched Kagome's!.....okay bad example, but the meaning is still there...

5. hehe, that's kinda cool actually. ^_^

6. Ah lol i never answered the question xD;

So far ive had dolls named
      Jaylee my first doll original doll
      Shoe my second dol original doll
      Cannon my third dolloriginal doll
      Pine, later changed to Litchi my fourth doll original doll
      Natsume my fifth doll character doll

and i plan for
      Shoe change to Takeru sixth doll original doll
      Mute 7th doll original doll

I tend to favor original dolls, because i love to create new storys, personalitys and looks.

But i do not see anything wrong with character dolls. hehe id love to have dolls of my favorite characters. xD staying true to the character would be my biggest problems, cuz i tend to always talk the same way... >.>

with the names. I dont have a problem if i see a doll with the same name as mine. i dont see why one should xD theres so many people with my name. And in this thread i saw theres another doll with the same name as my incomming boy.

7. To owners of these dolls: Why do you enjoy character based dolls? Have you also had a character based doll that ended up turning into an original?

The answer to these are that my brother has a character based doll. However as the time turns he became more and more original. The Roy we have at home is completely different from Roy in Fire emblem. I would have to say i personally don't like character dolls, being a perfectionist i would make the character to the original so it's harder for me to play.

However both my boys are named after characters from my favourite manga-artist, Raphael and Cain. But these names are also common names for those who know Christianity.

To owners of these dolls: Why do you enjoy original dolls? Do you find it distressing or upsetting when people emulate your original doll or copy his/her name without asking? Or do you feel names are just names and are up for grabs.

The names i choose for my dolls are all very well known, it's mostly the surname that i make up. There are a lot of Cain's but not another Cain Eden-Tenjou who is a El.

I have thought of a doll for my original characters but really, it's near impossible with their face shape and eye shape. The solution is minimee thought ^^ But if anyone does copy my dolls full names or my characters i would be annoyed. But not if it's generic like Raphael, but Raphael Tenjou is my Rae. Get it?

8. Pretty much all my dolls are based on other people's characters or my fan created children of said characters.

Personally, I think everyone has a different take on canon characters in series. Is Snape an obsessive stalker creep or misunderstood and forced to sacrifice his entire life for an unworthy bully and his unworthy son? Or both? Or Neither? This is true of nearly every character, much like writing fan-fic, drawing fan-art, or if we make our own doujinshi, we interpret the character as we want and bring to the fore front the traits we want to see in them.

Some of my dolls are my take on canon characters and then some are the bastardized versions of canon characters based off an RP I was in. At one point the characters in the RP might have been close to my take on said characters, but through the course of the RP, the characters got further from the originals until one could argue that other than a name and something of a physical likeness they became nearly original.

I personally find if my dolls don't fit preset characters I like, I tend to not bond and sell them.

And Devil's Trill I have a Lelouch too XD;; (and a Suzaku and I want a Nannally lol)

9. While I only have original dolls, I'd love to have a character doll some day. Though, it seems unlikely as I have too many original characters to embody first... ^^;;;

I don't think it's a bad thing at all to have a character doll. In a way, it might be like writing a fanfiction about that character, because you can control what they do and say. It's always sounded like fun, to me. While the concept of the character may be unoriginal to you, I don't think it's completely unoriginal to have a character doll. Say, if two people have chosen to make a doll of the same character, they're not necessarily going to choose the same mold to embody that character nor will their faceups, clothing, etc be exactly the same. So, even with a doll of a pre-existing character, each person has ways of making it distinctly theirs.

My dolls' names have been used before, and will most likely be used again in the future. What mattered to me was just that I liked the names, and they seemed to suit the character I had in mind. Azusa is a fairly common name, while I heard it first in an anime, she's not supposed to be or resemble that character. As well as Shinya, who's name I got from a member of the band Dir En Grey. He's not supposed to be or look like "Shinya," but I liked the way it sounded so that's the name he ended up with. ^^

10. Sometimes you just really like the look of a particular character, and the costume. Other times, yeah, you like the character as given too, and I fully understand that feeling that you should keep him/her true to the canon. I've gone through it myself.

But really, once you have that character in your hands, he'll/she'll have new experieinces, and will change over time. Even "canon" isn't a stranger to revamp characters -- look at the difference making an anime out of a manga makes to the characters, as secondary characters are made more important or fleshed out more. And Japanese production companies used to take great liberties with the personalities of characters each time a movie was made of them, almost as if they were alternate universes.

As a friend told me, that may be where you start off from, but once he's in your hands, he's yours to do with or develop as you will. So if you have a soft spot for a character, give that character a new chance at "life" (especially nice if the source material was a real downer of a tale and all he did was suffer!).

11. As for me, I've already made my mind about my dolls, all of them will be an original doll. Why that ? Well, I'm a writter and a forum roleplayer so I'm used to make my own character. Even though I have a fetish character I don't intend yet to make a doll out of her. Because she's so perfect in my mind that I know I wouldn't find a doll matching her.

As for other characters... I've already thought of making one but that was just an idea, the reason is quite simple, I don't think I could get along with it. A character belongs to the world it comes from and I don't like the idea of bringing it in a completly different kind of play... (well... I understant myself)

So, as a conclusion, all of my bjd's will be original character because i think that it's much more personal.

As for the names... well... a name is a name... how many Mary are there in the world ? Parents don't go on fighting because another couple named their child the same way...

Of course there are popular names, and there are some much more original... but I don't see why we should ask somebody else if we can use one's name. If when we look at our doll and the name just pop in our mind... that should just be enough ! Well after, you can give him a nickname... that's funny, lovely and you can distingue him from another ^^

12. Hmm... I have a Vincent Valentine based doll. His name is Vinconte, Vin for short. I kept it similar, but I didn't like the idea of having it exactly the same.
      He's a completely different character, with a backstory sharing no similarity to the character VinVal. He does, however, have the capacity to look like Vincent.
      I don't see that as originality. I see it as something I like and something I've put my time, effort and creativity into. Who cares about originality when you can make a Vincent Valentine doll? Even Volks put out a Chii doll, and the Rozen Maiden dolls. Not because they lack originality, but because they're cool.

ANNNND.
      I like my dolls having common names. I have a doll called John. How common can you get with John? I have a brother, two uncles and a grandfather with the name John. And Hayden. He's pretty common.
      Most people have common names. Maybe it's because I have a weird name, but I like giving my dolls relatively common names, it makes them more real to me. Except maybe Puffin, but that's a laugh.

People have different tastes, but it's hard to remember in a world such as this... that sometimes people share opinions, too.

13. While I admire and appreciate the beauty and creativity that goes into character dolls, I don't think I'd ever want to have one myself. ( Although on my Fantasy List I do think it would be amazing to put the four brothers of TMNT into doll form, but that's already twisting with their characters as the dolls would obviously be humanoid of some sort and the TMNT are not xD ) I've always been a writer and a huge online RP fan, so I have quite a few of my own original babies that I want to work with instead. Added also that I want to keep my crew relatively small, so it's easier to work within my own boundaries.

Three out of four of my boys were named after anime characters ( Nazomi, Fakia and Seto ) even though I had never seen any of those animes, I just liked the way their names sounded, and absolutely none of their personalities were based off of anything else. And my fourth boy ( Isaac ) has a fairly common name. So should I be upset if I saw any of these names already used? Of course not, they might be used as a character doll name, or just because the other doll owner did what I did in just choosing a pretty name from a fairly well known anime series.

Of course, I say I shouldn't be upset, but of course, I'm not going to deny my being human so of course I believe at first I would be a little miffed. But honestly, I realize it's not something anyone did wrong, becuse names cannot be 'saved'. It just doesn't work that way, so I'd get over it fairly quickly. xD This is another thing I have with people who feel their names are so original that they just don't believe there's the possibility someone else can think of it, or even use it either. I personally just do not feel that's right, even if that person is 'famous' on the boards. Yes, it sucks to not feel original, but that's where you just have to remind yourself, the doll's name does not make the doll. It's just one part of many of that doll's whole.

So I just remind myself, if someone else decides to name their doll Fakia, that's their choice and there's nothing wrong with that. But if someone decides to name their doll Fakia and he's a sweet baby-faced Oxen Demon with gray skin, purple hair and red eyes who also just happens to be Lord of the Underworld, then I might allow my blood to boil xD

14. All my dolls are originals though I have stolen some names from books I love. But even then the doll isn't based on the character & except for one, bears no resemblance to the character. The one that does, Alaric a 60cm Narin, just sort of evolved into that look but his personality & story have nothing to do with where his name came from.

In general when I'm reading, I'll get pretty specific ideas about how a character looks & it would be next to impossible to duplicate in that in doll form unless I were able to sculpt my own doll. Anyway, I enjoy just going along with what a doll reveals to me about him/herself. That way I can let my imagination flow & not stick to any preformed ideas.

15. My dolls have been bought with a design or character in mind, but sometimes the doll takes over and he turns out completely different. My Leviathan, Lycurgus, Lawrence, and Wyther are all raelly original characters. I started with a design, but they have evolved as new things have come to light that would just WORK, for them. Right now Lycurgus is in the win, cause he gets everything. Poor Nemean has lost his body to Lawrence, not sure when he's getting it back...I deeply love my original characters. I would find it too hard to make a character from a book or anime. I would need to get everything exactly right and if I didn't, then I would act like a thorn in my side till I fixed it.

Names, anyway names are kind of up for grabs in my opinion. I usually spend time thinking of a name while my dolls coming, but sometimes that names changes when he arrives and I see that he has a different attitude. Which has happened to Lawrence and Wyther. I don't think that people should have to ask permission to use a name, but I would be a little miffed if a exact Lycurgus showed up on DOA. I would know that the people were copying because some of what he's wearing and his mods are OOAK. If someone wanted to base their doll off of his looks I wouldn't mind though.

16. none of my dolls have any real defined character. they just kind of evolve as I bond with them and make them up in my head.

but I'm one of those people who will lift an eyebrow when I find another doll with the same name as mine, as I think long and hard about names which are very rare and unique. like, show me another doll named Locutus and I will do a freaking backflip. (which I can't do. erm, anyway..) I even have another name picked out for whatever future doll I get that I won't even post online because I'm afraid someone will steal it before I can even have the doll. =___=; yeah, I'm weird like that.

but I can understand why people get upset when they see a doll with the same name as theirs if the name is very obscure. there is a small handful of character-based dolls I'd like to do. (namely, Albel Nox from SO3 [which yes I know there already is an Albel-based doll here, and he rocks], and Hotaru Tomoe and Sailor Cosmos from Sailormoon.)

17. I like character based dolls but since im obsessed over anime i feel like they would miss there friends in the anime ^yes im weird XP. My dolls are all originals and if people bought the same mold cause they wanted it or used one of the common names i wouldnt care just not completely copying down to a key, but if its a personal name i made up and they took it then i would.

18. You do know Locutus was used in Star Trek Next Generation don't you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-The-N...oryZ2483QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I could easily see a doll and Trek fan wanting to make a Locutus doll.

I'd just like to point out I am a Princess TuTu fan and have been since 2002 when it aired in Japan. Before I sold my Kasumi in April, I thought about naming him Fakia (I hate the official Fakir spelling) after the character in Tutu, since Fakia is my favorite character in the series. I've even thought about making another Yo SD Fakia and Ahiru if the right molds come along.

19. rkold, thank you! That's exactly my point in that I do not 'own' Fakia's name. My sisters both really enjoyed the Princess TuTu series ( I never really got that into it x3 ) and the name Fakia struck me as being so unique and pretty sounding. So I borrowed it xD But I'm not claiming that no one else can use it because that's ridiculous. Copying a name is one thing, copying the entire original doll is another, and I believe there's already a thread dedicated to that subject.

20. Well I can honestly say that I enjoy original dolls....or rather I'm trying to make original dolls because, like most people, I've had a collection of chars for a while now that I would just love to see made into a physical form.

I'm not really against people making chars from pre-existing people or chars. I mean I can honestly say that bjds are the coolest dolls to me. Sadly most dolls made from animes and such are factory made so they aren't as lovely. If you could turn your favorite character into your favorite doll type I think thats great.

As an original doll person I don't think I'd take offense if someone used my doll's name, however most of my characters have VERY original names so if their nickname was taken I wouldn't be mad but if the full name was then yes I would be angry. My names I choose for my characters are just as original as the characters themselves. That being the case I don't think its really right to want to use a "popular" doll's name for your own doll....unless of course it was just a common name like "john" or something. If you did want to take an original name I would ask the owner first.