1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Owner Stereotypes?

Aug 20, 2010

1. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      I think there are a couple of BJD stereotypes. A. Into anime/manga/ RPG and all thngs Japanese and B. Gothy/ dark/heavily tatted and pierced
      2) Be honest - do you think you fit the stereotype at all? Not at all? Why?
      I don't fit either in any way. I personally don't think much of Japanese culture, and have never watched anime or played RPG, I am also not Gothy/dark or heavily pierced and tatted (though I do have two small tats).
      3) How do you think there came to be stereotypes in the BJD hobby?
      I think the first happened because this style of doll originally came from Japan, so those initial buyers were people who followed all things Japanese. Goths appreciated how the dolls could be adorned as a reflection of Goth culture and fashion.
      I fall into the camp that came into these dolls via a love of dolls in general, as well as customizing and fashion design for them. Also as others have said, with any hobby there are always stereotypes that catch on, usually from whatever people's first exposure to the hobby was.

2. Actually, thinking in stereotypes is a way to survive for us. It is partially taught and partially we are born with this ... trait. It helps us assess situations faster.

Example: we learn, that a lamp, that is on is probably very hot and that we should not touch it. We don't have to think about that very long. It prevents us from harm. With people it's exactly the same way. Putting people in boxes, as you put it, is a way to very quickly assess if that person is dangerous or friendly. It's the way our brain works

If we would have to reevaluate EVERYTHING anew, every time, the human race would probably be extinct by now.

We are taught diffrent stereotypes (especially visible, when it comes to colours. See black and white in western and eastern cultures.) however. But, what makes us human is our free will and the ability to change our boxing system, even if it is very hard to do so. Because it is very hard and humans are lazy (oh, come on, admit it, we all take the path of least resistance, at least once in a while ;) ), most don't care to rethink their stereotypes.

3. Interesting topic.

I think we've all established what the general stereotype of ABJD owners is, so moving on...

In short, I simply don't fit the stereotype mentioned at all. I have a hard time thinking of any stereotype in our culture that I fit into...there's always something obvious about me that doesn't fit, or something about a group of like-minded people that repels me.

Personally, just reading the amount of people who admit to liking anime/manga/slash/fanfiction/Jrock in this thread makes my stomach squirm a little...it's nothing against them personally, I just strongly dislike many of the interests shared in this community and really don't want to be associated with those things.

4. I guess you could say I fit the "omg she likes anime and jpop too" stereotype. 'Cause I do ;) But I'm not like obsessed with it. But I don't really think my doll hobby extends from it either, it's just something I happen to like that possibly fits into something else. Ya know?

I got into dolls 'cause, well, you can't photograph a barbie doll. They've ruined barbie, PLUS shes just WAY to pink for me. Don't get me wrong I like pink but geez. And there are just more things you can do with then then you can with a barbie. Like pose them. I know you can buy a jointed barbie now, but it's just not the same. And she doesn't work well or bend very far without looking retarded.

For me it's mostly about the "cute" factor :) And as an aspiring photographer who doesn't wanna slap her child's photos up all over the 'net, I think these are perfect. It's art. And it's awesome. And I love it. That's all there is to it. :)

5. It's interesting that everyone seems focused on the stereotype we assume all 'outsiders' see us as, that is to say, Japan obsessed weirdos with a love of all things cute and childish. Yet in my time within the BJD hobby I've seen there to be MANY more stereotypes than just that, that we usually label one another within the community. I won't deny the stigma of being associated with anime/Jrock/Japan/etc. but there are still a few other stereotypes I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed.

1. 'I HATE Japan!!!' This is the person who wants to be so opposite the whole Japan-loving cliche that they take every opportunity to point out how different and unique they are. Honestly, for just as many people who own up to loving all and everything Japanese related, I've read nearly as many posts about people who have to point out what a minority they are but that they still exist. Right.

2. ' Tons of straight boys over here! And a lesbian girl just for good measure.' See #1. This person likes to mention how they simply don't understand the appeal of all the boys love and whatnot, but instead of leaving it alone at that, usually has to go into some long winded psychological babble to try to explain others, which usually ends up with them looking far more mature and superior.

3. 'I love all dolls.' These are collectors who got into BJD hobby purely because they love dolls and collect a huge variety of them. Sometimes they can all turn into a #1 stereotype, but not always.

4. 'I'm so awesome.' Or, as the often overused term we describe them, the 'elite'. Yeah, we all agree that on some level, they do exist. This can be snobbery based on what brand dolls they buy, if they have superior skills in face-ups/sewing/etc. or just have alot of money to throw at every new Dollheart or Souldoll fullset that's released. Thankfully not a very huge crowd, but they're still there.

5. 'So, can I use my regular make-up on her face?' Ah yes, the nOObs. Generally speaking, those new to the community who can't handle a Sticky or the search function and ask a million questions that have already been answered tenfold.

6. 'I'm saving up for a BBB, then I'm looking at an AoD as my next one.' Or, the cheapies. These are sometimes mislabled as the nOObs though they can overlap. Usually on the opposite end of the spectrum as the elite, these people are stereotyped as purely seeking quantity over quality, 'settling for less', or plain and simple, having no real taste in dolls.

These are just the overused stereotypes I can think up off the top of my head. If we didn't have these stereotypes there wouldn't be any need for all the 'Is getting a cheap doll okay?' and 'Doesn't anyone else have their doll where REGULAR clothes??' threads being posted around. If others weren't aware of these stereotypes, they wouldn't be so worried about the possibility of fitting into one.

6. InkyBear: Ok. So I had no intention of replying to this thread bcause it seems like a bunch of people trying to justify their own weirdness by stating ALL the different ways they defy stereotypes (and are therefore less weird than the stereotype) or, my personal favorite, people who go on at length to say how much they really really really HATE something that someone else really enjoys. I thought your posts was the best I have read so far in this thread. I loved it!

Back on topic! Anywhoo, I am male. I love anime. I used to collect action figures, then Dollfie Dream, and now Super Dollfie. I do not like all collector/fashion dolls but I do have a tendancy to like toys in general. I do not listen to Jpop, dress goth, or have any piercings or tatoos. I am not overweight. I workout regualrly, dress well, and have a professional job and a good education. I am interested in Japan but that is a side effect of enjoying anime and collecting only Volks Dolls (so I guess in that sense I am japanophile snob, LOL). In the end I think that anyone that does not think spending thousands and thousands of dollars on plastic toys will not think we are freaks (or at least very strange), everyone else can go f**k themselves. I am entirely too old to care what others think about my hobbies.

7. I disagree. I understand what you are saying, but I do not believe that trying to figure out if a person or situation is dangerous or not is the same thing as putting people into stereotypes. That has more to do with gut feeling rather than brain. You could see it as instinct versus taught behaviour.
      Danger or not = mostly gut feeling and intuition. (Sometimes it is true we must use our brain to figure out if something is dangerous like with the lamp you gave as an example.)
      Putting people into boxes or stereotypes = all brain.
      Stereotypes of the kind we are speaking about here has nothing to do with danger after all. Instinct and prejudice is not the same thing to me.

InkyBear
      I think I love you a little
      . :lol:

8. I guess that's where stereotypes come from. ;) You only see one part and think it's the whole. It's like going to a student's bar and say that all students are drunk party animals or going to a university library and say that all students are studious and hard working.

Doll collectors who have no interest in anime/manga won't go to anime/manga conventions and thus you won't see them there. It's like seeing an elephant's trunk sticking out of the bushes and think the whole elephant is made out of trunks. An elephant does have a trunk, but it has a lot more.

9. Of course it is not the same, that's what I said at the end of my post :) My point was, that we are predisposed to thinking in boxes. That is how our brain works and must work for us to function propperly. It's nothing bad about it. The lables of the boxes are, what we are taught. What would happen, if you would have to re-evaluate every single person anew, every-time you saw them? Not an option. That's where stereotypes come in and that's ok. What is not ok is, to be ignorant to the fact, that not everyone fits into our existing boxes. And sometimes, we just have to force ourselfs to through out some of the boxes and refile the things/persons in there.

10. We just see differently to this. There is no need to re-evaluate a person every time you see them. Just simply get to know a person without feeling the need to label them as anything except fellow human being.
      As I have said before I do believe there is a part of the brain that breaks everything into tidy little parts and tries to figure the world out that way. That is the left side. I feel that most humans use that side way too much. That is what my first post was mostly about.
      I am not disagreeing with you about that. But I do still not believe that to be the whole story. If we function "naturally" and with balance we will use that part of our brain when it is necessary. Like when we are solving problems or sorting things out, instead of using it to box people up.

So it is not our nature to put people into boxes and labelling them as you are claiming, it is a feature created from an imbalance of how we use our brain.

I think I have said all I have to say about the matter. I am sorry if I am not able to express myself clearly enough. It is tricky as hell to get your point across using a different language from your own. ^^'

11. I do agree with that. I believe the way we are raised (programed)- not just by our parents but by society itself, can be extremely hard to challenge though it may not be correct. We as humans are often incapable of change that deep because, to us it is and always will be correct. That being said, there are some stereotypes that hold true- not that people wont surprise you- and not that your initial judgement should effect the way you treat that person but- that you can be aware of a stereotype (keeping it in mind) and still give someone a chance to show you their true selves.

Now, as for my personal doll stereotype experience---- I am not a girly girl. I wear a comfy t-shirt and jeans and coverse on a daily basis. I played with barbies as a small child but never the blonde, peppy kind that you would picture. All of my characters were kings, queens, fairys, ect. I often chose barbies of other ethnicities and cultures (when they could be found). So, my barbies were a way of using my imagination- never caging it with a typical, blonde barbie girl at the mall wearing pink.
      Anyhow, I had far grown out of dolls when I discovered bjd's- no one in texas really knows what these are and my teenage classmates would never understand- though my closest friends do and they like bjd's too :)- the point is that I listen to heavy metal and wear dark clothes sometimes and you would nevr guess that my my little resinsoul girl wears lavender and closeley resembles little bo peep :)- or that a girl like me would even own a doll.

12. Wanna hear a funny stereotype that I've heard? That all ABJD enthusiasts love/own cats. It may be because the kitties love boxes and therefore love to insert themselves into box openings, but it's such a weird stereotype! I think it's an extension of my friends thinking that if you love dolls you are also more likely to be a crazy cat lady. And I don't fit that. I love cats but I have 2 dogs thanks very much.

As for other stereotypes, they all come with a grain of truth, but are mostly unreliable. Yeah, some doll owners are obsessive, antisocial anime fans. But plenty of us aren't like that. I think we've covered that sufficiently.

13. That HAS crossed my mind and a friend said the same thing not long ago. I think it's because when you are on Flickr you notice someone taking pics of the BJDs and there is often a moggie in the background or that person's photostream will also have albums of cat pics.

That's the thing though, our brains look for patterns and once you start to notice that "more than a few" BJD owners also have Kitties, that becomes a stereotype and soon people are proclaiming that ALL BJD owners have cats. Anyhow, I need to go, the cats need feeding

14. Oh fer G***Sake!

Well, seeing as how I have an accidental double post going begging... despite the inevitable protests, a lot of people replying are giving me the distinct impression that they actually CARE that people lump us into stereotypes? We only stereotype people we don't know, and as none of us have much control over what people we don't know think of us, why should we care?

15. When I never had done a dollmeetup before, my boyfriend had witnessed one when travelling a while back. He came home and he told me not to buy a doll because all those girls were fat, lolita and creepy and wearing the same as their dolls etx. My comment back was "Dang, really? Then I'd better change my wardrobe and start eating pie a lot!" Got him silenced there. It's just because he saw a few girls like that, he thought everyone was like that.

After meeting the more or less local community I do tend to think most people here are a bit alternative, not in many ways. Sometimes it's just the music, the other hobbies etx, and sometimes nothing. We just are who we are and share at least one thing: dolls.

I would say only one big stereotype would fit most of us: "OMFG!!! Those are grownups with dolls!!!" xD

16. QFT. (The teenagers us among will grow into that stereotype. ;) )

17. I must fit some stereotypes. I love cats, anime, Japan, videogames, J-pop and my first big doll is to be a Dollfie Dream Dynamite. I am also female, 40-something a mom & wife, an educator and an NFL football fanatic. So I guess I am just all messed up. :P

18. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      No - I think BJD owners are as varied as the sculpts they seek. Let's face it - what we have in common is making/creating/altering a doll to create our ideal of a beautiful doll with a certain character or ideal as we conceive it in our imagination.

I don't see one stereotype unless it is as I've stted above. Then, yes.

According to some of the posts in this thread, the "stereotype" as others have written doesn't fit me at all. I have two Ph.D.s, am a professor, am much older, do not have a cat, do not like anime,am not into Goth, would never own a doll with breasts larger than her head and do not carry my BJDs about town.

Most "stereotypes" are created by non-collectors to explain why people collect any doll. I think, among doll collectors, BJDs may be the most misunderstood. I've seen so many "regular" doll collectors turn to BJDs and treat them like a finished, completed doll that they display but do not change. There are no extra wigs, boxes of eyeballs, sand paper or restringing tools in those houses. It makes me sad, as the only reason to collect BJDs (for me) is the excitement and pleasure of the hobbyist's craft - adapting a doll for the day, the story, one's mood, to make it new and simply to play.

19. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Lonely people. Very lonely, desperate, pathetic people, or rich snobs' children. The barbie for millionares. XD

A bit on the first one; I am by no means rich, but I tend to be a reclusive person.

The same way there are stereotypes in everything; So that people outside of it can look down on you and feel superior while separating themselves from you and your reality. They need to feel better than you. *Shrug*

20. Now that's one I haven't heard before but that's a stereotype I DO fit into. Actually I guess I fit more into the general doll collector stereotype than most of the specifically BJD ones as I'm over 50, fat & love many dolls & all cats. While I love the Goth & Lolita looks on other people I'm simply too old to pull them off. (I did do a great punk/Goth look in my much younger, thinner years when it wasn't anywhere near as fashionable as it is now.)

As for the other usual BJD stereotypes, I don't really fit those. I'm not into manga/anime, Japanese or Asian culture in general, not a lonely, anti-social person, etc. And while I agree that those stereotypes definitely exist, once you get to know people on a more personal level those aspects become merely a small part of what each individual person is like. Unfortunately when you only see people in passing, all too often those people will get pegged into a little box that most often only shows a small piece of their true self.

The world is rampant with stereotypes, not only in the collecting world but in fashion, business, politics, schooling, really just about everywhere. It's simply easier for most people to judge on externals & categorize that way rather than fully exploring a subject & the different people involved with it & actually THINK about it. So how could we expect the BJD world to be any different?